PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to your car lately?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Elliot_O
10th November 2014, 10:22 PM
I also used the penrite 75-90. 2.5 litres in the turbo.

Elliott iv been with a 43 year old before I met my missus. Well there was 2 of them that I met on a night out, they had a hotel room at the hotel that also had the nightclub downstairs. Skinny dipping at the beach then up to their room... no gum jobs but lets just say, women their age shouldnt be able to do half the stuff they did that night.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Hey man I won't judge, I would have done the same thing if I had the chance hahaha

Raisin
10th November 2014, 10:52 PM
I must say, this car part shopping + buying is quite the addiciton!

Go onto a site and you just want to buy all the things!

Ontop of the new coolant pipes I have ordered:

82C Thermostat
Black Oil Filler cap
OBD2 Scanner tool
2x Magnetic Sump Plugs with a bolt head instead of the Torx one

Sammich
10th November 2014, 11:08 PM
Tell me about it Raisin I have about 4k of parts on the shopping list being ordered in the next week. There is no such think as I am done modding....

Raisin
10th November 2014, 11:19 PM
Tell me about it Raisin I have about 4k of parts on the shopping list being ordered in the next week. There is no such think as I am done modding....

Haha, I'm a couple of grand deep with another $5k+ on the list that I'm saving towards.

dutchy
11th November 2014, 08:28 AM
Elliott iv been with a 43 year old before I met my missus. Well there was 2 of them that I met on a night out, they had a hotel room at the hotel that also had the nightclub downstairs. Skinny dipping at the beach then up to their room... no gum jobs but lets just say, women their age shouldnt be able to do half the stuff they did that night.

Care to share any pics ?

dutchy
11th November 2014, 08:32 AM
Gummy job?

:skep:

guy 27
11th November 2014, 12:32 PM
Registered silver zafira.
Paid Rego on black zafira.
Got satnav for Linea Rossa

NoX-Troniq
11th November 2014, 12:40 PM
Installed an oil pressure gauge.
Wondering if original oil pressure sender will work with the dial

vekara
11th November 2014, 12:47 PM
Installed an oil pressure gauge.
Wondering if original oil pressure sender will work with the dial

If you fitted a T piece then why not.

Sammich
11th November 2014, 12:51 PM
Renewed my insurance, got a nrma voucher and used it on a dashcam.

NoX-Troniq
11th November 2014, 01:34 PM
T piece?

adam_92
11th November 2014, 02:27 PM
Didn't you have a boost gauge too rikky?

vekara
11th November 2014, 03:16 PM
T piece?

I assumed you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, that needs to be connected to the point where the original pressure sensor is screwed to with a T piece so you still have the original warning light circuit working. The ECU may not like "no oil pressure" reading from the sensor. I believe the oil pressure sensor is a switch only so won't give you a linear reading if you have fitted an electronic gauge.
I personally prefer mechanical pressure gauges, they are faster than electronic ones.

NoX-Troniq
11th November 2014, 03:58 PM
No turbo gague because I ceebs with any engine swapping at the moment.

Its just a saas gague to fill up my pod. You reckon I should wire up the original switch to the signal terminal on the new sender unit?

adam_92
11th November 2014, 04:15 PM
Cbf after the crash?

NoX-Troniq
11th November 2014, 04:43 PM
Engines got 132K on it, might as well use it. C14s are solid, fun little engines, shit, if I had a C12 I'd be thinking about it.

But I'm sh1t a55 poor now, I was gonna go to university next year but my funds are questioning it.

I'm just glad no one was hurt.

NoX-Troniq
11th November 2014, 04:58 PM
I assumed you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, that needs to be connected to the point where the original pressure sensor is screwed to with a T piece so you still have the original warning light circuit working. The ECU may not like "no oil pressure" reading from the sensor. I believe the oil pressure sensor is a switch only so won't give you a linear reading if you have fitted an electronic gauge.
I personally prefer mechanical pressure gauges, they are faster than electronic ones.
You reckon I could work around it somehow?

vekara
11th November 2014, 05:16 PM
You reckon I could work around it somehow?

Don't know, you have to try. hook up a multimeter across the sensor in volt mode and take a reading engine stopped and running. the voltage will tell if it is a variable sensor or just a switch. if it is a switch then terminating the leads with a resistor may fix it.

NoX-Troniq
11th November 2014, 05:19 PM
If its a variable I don't see how putting the senders signal through it could cause any harm, and if its a switch then unless the signal being put out is over 0 it should still work in theory.

EDIT: I've looked around a few UK corsa forums and they all call it a switch. I've read the cars manual holden gave with the car and the OP light only comes on when the oil pressure is next to zero. So I'm pretty sure its an I/O switch.

vekara
11th November 2014, 05:36 PM
If its a variable I don't see how putting the senders signal through it could cause any harm, and if its a switch then unless the signal being put out is over 0 it should still work in theory.

EDIT: I've looked around a few UK corsa forums and they all call it a switch. I've read the cars manual holden gave with the car and the OP light only comes on when the oil pressure is next to zero. So I'm pretty sure its an I/O switch.

Ok, in that case just fix the gauge sensor where the original sensor was and short or open circuit the original sensor lead, depending which way it works. You can verify that by measuring the voltage across the leads.

hazrd
11th November 2014, 06:42 PM
Investment for the H

sooty
11th November 2014, 07:55 PM
Investment for the H

Looks like an eBay special? How much?

SilentShout
12th November 2014, 12:24 AM
Short shifter is here along with timing belt kit including water pump, this pay plan is to grab oil, coolant, all required filters, any nessesary flushes, a sump bolt that isnt a f***ing torx bit and another set of stands.

Then save for new tyres hopefully with new wheels too, and brake pads and slotted discs as they are squeeling like crazy. outter pads look like they have healthy meat on them but im guessing the business happens behind the rotor, yet to look there :S

hazrd
12th November 2014, 08:53 AM
Looks like an eBay special? How much?

Nah, Jaycar
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QV3844

Didnt pay that much though.

chris_r
12th November 2014, 08:11 PM
Went to drop off my hubs, bearings and knuckles today and realised something, the "conversion" hubs I have, don't fit in the Audi bearings. In fact the conversion hubs will pretty much fit the stock bearings, but that poses a problem: The conversion hubs are in fact the "big block" hubs off the Calibra/Astra F that have the spigots machined down to fit in a Corsa bearing. And that's problematic because it weakens the hubs and it's not unheard of for them to fall apart when cornering. So, I've ordered some proper big block hubs, which should be here tomorrow and whilst I'm at it, I ordered new tie rod ends too.

NoX-Troniq
13th November 2014, 07:07 PM
Got a Voltmeter today so I'll see what the oil switch puts out tomorrow

sskustomz
15th November 2014, 02:45 PM
Waved goodbye to my Slr torana today, freed up some funds for my project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sskustomz
15th November 2014, 04:45 PM
And picked up this to console myself!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/a9186f8d2177ece2b04c82c097df5282.jpg

Shortstuff
15th November 2014, 08:11 PM
Fitted coilovers and rear sway bar to my SRI-T.

guy 27
15th November 2014, 08:37 PM
started building engine for the other silver sri i have here.

bottom end all put together, head is on. new chain kits installed. just need to put manifolds, wiring loom and a few other brackets on tomorrow. If time permits maybe even into car.

gman
16th November 2014, 11:41 AM
Got word the car has been extensively pulled apart and weight loss is underway.

Should be able to test in early 2015....

dutchy
16th November 2014, 01:32 PM
got word the car has been extensively pulled apart and weight loss is underway.

like :)

sooty
16th November 2014, 02:26 PM
like :)
+1

Also, just bought a brand spanker for the fiancé

Raisin
16th November 2014, 03:15 PM

Sounds awesome! I though you already had quite a bit of weight taken out!

poita
16th November 2014, 03:17 PM
+1

Also, just bought a brand spanker for the fiancé

???

sooty
16th November 2014, 03:19 PM
???
2015 Nissan Qashqai Ti

poita
16th November 2014, 03:19 PM

Awesome :D

How did the motor and the rest of the car hold up? I know it wasn't being pushed at 100% but still would give an indication of overall condition of the parts

poita
16th November 2014, 03:20 PM
2015 Nissan Qashqai Ti

ooooo very nice indeed! Actually one of the newer Nissans I like

NoX-Troniq
16th November 2014, 03:47 PM
Regarding the Oil switch in the Corsa B, I got a reading of about 12V coming from the wire and not the switch itself while the car was running, but 0V when the car was on but not running.
So in theory I could put the new sender in and wire the original switch wire to the signal terminal of the sender without having any problems.

nigelh
16th November 2014, 04:12 PM
Gave the OPC a quick wash and discovered that the the sides of it hadn't been paint brake dust black. �� Still have a few rubber marks from the track runs but that's for another day. Running low on cleaning products so hopefully CCP will start there Christmas specials soon.

poita
16th November 2014, 04:55 PM
Washed and waxed the Focus for a photo shoot this arvy.

mickos
16th November 2014, 05:00 PM
Bled all brake lines, dropped coolant, degreased and gernied all wheel wells, leather treated interior, washed the khunt

Jen
16th November 2014, 05:03 PM
2015 Nissan Qashqai Ti
Yay! Glad she's finally got something new! When do you pick it up? I really want to have a ride in one, it looks like a nice car shame about the weird name

guy 27
16th November 2014, 07:30 PM
Engine bolted in silver Sri. Shall be running tomorrow and up for sale in a week.

sooty
16th November 2014, 08:31 PM
Yay! Glad she's finally got something new! When do you pick it up? I really want to have a ride in one, it looks like a nice car shame about the weird name
March delivery. The name's OK, people will get used to it lol.
Car has an amazing number of features

SilentShout
17th November 2014, 04:28 AM
3:20am and short shifter is installed (dont worry only arrived in brissy at 1:30am) and its stiff as a rock :( as in wont spring back to the middle even the hulk would have trouble stiff. Everything is lined up as i can engage a gear with two hands (unknown which gear though)

Im guessing this isnt a common occurance so ill have to grind something away but ill leave that for the morning.

Also managed to break one of the bolts in the cam side engine mount. This car is turning out to be fun.

The 1k price tag for a timing belt and water pump change doesnt look too bad now, although i wonder how much that would blow out to when they encounter the same problems haha.

Sleep now and resume in 6hrs.

Night yall.

Elliot_O
17th November 2014, 09:09 AM
3:20am and short shifter is installed (dont worry only arrived in brissy at 1:30am) and its stiff as a rock :( as in wont spring back to the middle even the hulk would have trouble stiff. Everything is lined up as i can engage a gear with two hands (unknown which gear though)

Im guessing this isnt a common occurance so ill have to grind something away but ill leave that for the morning.

Also managed to break one of the bolts in the cam side engine mount. This car is turning out to be fun.

The 1k price tag for a timing belt and water pump change doesnt look too bad now, although i wonder how much that would blow out to when they encounter the same problems haha.

Sleep now and resume in 6hrs.

Night yall.
Hectic man, good luck fixing it!

faneca
17th November 2014, 11:18 AM
Hey man, when I installed mine in the VXR, it did the same. Mine need to be knocked down further. It will be stuck in the reverse gear plain perhaps

SilentShout
17th November 2014, 11:21 AM
Nah its definitly the linkage. Maybe due to me having a metal ebay one instead if the factory one. Ground down the knuckles on the lateral motion bits and its much better. Tried grinding down the knuckles on the mtech actuator and no luck. They have used some bloody quality metal i can assure you that.

Gave up on that for now and attacking the water pump with chissles and hammers. Its still not moving :(

MrJNW
17th November 2014, 06:24 PM
I bought all this;

http://i.imgur.com/lXvrp93.jpg

- Boost & Water Temp gauges
- Mounting Cups for said gauges
- Temp sender for water gauge
- Intercooler hoses and custom piping (not in picture )
- GFB Geforce II Electronic Boost Controller
- Turbosmart Fuel Cut Defender
- Turbosmart manual boost controller valve ( for WRX wagon )
- Aluminium sheets to finish welding cold air box
- Metric ****ton of meguiars cleaning products to wash Astra
- 2 cartons of Millers draught

- Paid for http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/buy-online/shop-by-category/brakes/brake-kits/ap-4-pot-343mm-vxracing-kit-astra/zafira/prod_667.html and am playing the waiting game

At some point all of these products will be put in mildly upgraded 06 AH Astra SRi, the beer is to lubricate said process/numb pain from wallet violation

chris_r
17th November 2014, 09:22 PM
Managed to get the effing bastard pin out of the F23's shifter. Ended up pulling the shift assembly out of the box, placed it in the vice and hit the pin from the other side. Then put it all back in and fitted M-Tech short shifter. Shift feels pretty awesome apart from the fact it would appear evident that I need to get the anti-play kit for the shifter now.

Shadow110
17th November 2014, 09:30 PM
Managed to get the effing bastard pin out of the F23's shifter. Ended up pulling the shift assembly out of the box, placed it in the vice and hit the pin from the other side. Then put it all back in and fitted M-Tech short shifter. Shift feels pretty awesome apart from the fact it would appear evident that I need to get the anti-play kit for the shifter now.
Doesnt the pin have a little spring loaded clip down the bottom?

chris_r
17th November 2014, 09:35 PM
Doesnt the pin have a little spring loaded clip down the bottom?

Nope, you're thinking of the one on the Corsa F17 box. With dropping the Z20LET in, I'm using the F23 box and the cable shifter. The shifter on top of the gearbox uses a rolled pin pressed in to hold it in place.

dutchy
17th November 2014, 09:40 PM
I bought all this;

http://i.imgur.com/lXvrp93.jpg

- Boost & Water Temp gauges
- Mounting Cups for said gauges
- Temp sender for water gauge
- Intercooler hoses and custom piping (not in picture )
- GFB Geforce II Electronic Boost Controller
- Turbosmart Fuel Cut Defender
- Turbosmart manual boost controller valve ( for WRX wagon )
- Aluminium sheets to finish welding cold air box
- Metric ****ton of meguiars cleaning products to wash Astra
- 2 cartons of Millers draught

- Paid for http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/buy-online/shop-by-category/brakes/brake-kits/ap-4-pot-343mm-vxracing-kit-astra/zafira/prod_667.html and am playing the waiting game

At some point all of these products will be put in mildly upgraded 06 AH Astra SRi, the beer is to lubricate said process/numb pain from wallet violation

Nice and welcome to the forum.

Shadow110
17th November 2014, 09:52 PM
Nope, you're thinking of the one on the Corsa F17 box. With dropping the Z20LET in, I'm using the F23 box and the cable shifter. The shifter on top of the gearbox uses a rolled pin pressed in to hold it in place.
Ballbags thats a biyatch then...

MrJNW
17th November 2014, 10:42 PM
Nice and welcome to the forum.

Thank you Dutchy, its good to be around a bunch of likeminded people

SilentShout
18th November 2014, 12:51 AM
started at 8:30am this morning
Pump is out (Pics to come later and oh they are nasty) block was clean as a whistle apart from a small patch of buildup which i cleaned.
new pump installed along with new idler pulleys, tensioner and timing belt, Funny thing to note is the crank was advanced by one tooth compared to the rest of the engine, interested to see the difference it makes having everything lined up perfectly.
turned it all by hand until i was 100% sure, then cranked the engine without the plugs in and all looks sweet, no valves hitting pistons etc. the belt is bloody tight but i believe the timing belt is supposed to be.
front timing covers back on
repaired the cam sensor as the shielding around the wires themselves decintegrated, hoping it will last till next pay (hoping even more the engine will turn over and not splutter about)
plugs in, valve cover on.

Took the throttle body off and gave that a clean while i could, boy you should have seen the sludge coming off that thing.

replaced the cartridge filter, keen to find a way to convert it to the traditional filters the astras have as i see no benefit of having a cartridge canister thingie on the front of the engine.

ground down the knuckles on the mtech linkage, 3 grinding stones later they are small enough to have the other bits move about freely and spring back to the center, but still tight enough that it feels nice. (4th feels like it may be a bit of a betch but we will see)

borrowed my mates pulsar for the night as im still not done, drove home to the coast, 1hr sleep, swabbed for canibus on the way to work because quote "your eyes are bloodshot and we need to make sure" and "Lack of sleep is not a valid excuse", now an 8 hr shift from 11pm to 7am, then back to brissy in the morning to finish it off and hopefully get the Red Barron back on the road.

tomorrows plans:

buy drill bits. drill out the seized bolt in the engine mount till its a hole all the way through (how seized? ive broken 3 kingchrome screw extractors in it already). use high tensile black steel bolts and put a bolt through the hole and a nut with a spring washer on the other end and re attach to the car. Fill the car up with all nessesary fluids. re attach intake setup Turn over and hope for the best.

then either Cry because its done and i am free of this hellish week of broken car parts, or Cry because something still goes wrong and give up on the car.

first i need to survive tonight. :Yawn:

Sammich
18th November 2014, 11:20 AM
Ordered quaife LSD from nz distributer, still waiting from a repkt from regal about parts... I swear they hate replying to emails from me.... Emailed ash on the 8th, still no response...

gman
18th November 2014, 03:01 PM
Awesome :D

How did the motor and the rest of the car hold up? I know it wasn't being pushed at 100% but still would give an indication of overall condition of the parts

Motor was 100%, was barely pushed.
Gearbox is out and back at the engineer for them to rectify the issue with the diff, crown & pinion so it doesn't explode next time.
All the body panels are perfect, suspension is exactly as we wanted it.
New engine and gearbox is mocked up in the car so we can start with the fabrication.
New front bar, floor and some other small pieces are done, looking at carbon doors, roof and hatch for 2015....

hazrd
18th November 2014, 03:36 PM
:yikes: :steve:

I may be a little excited for next year, already...

sooty
18th November 2014, 05:12 PM
So who's pushing enough power to put the current front bar on a road car? :P

Sammich
18th November 2014, 10:31 PM
SO i am now officially poor.....

ordered the following for my SRI-T:

VXR Turbo
80mm AFM
VXR Injectors
OPC Engine cover
OPC Front Grill
Quaife LSD
Courtney fast road clutch
Courtney lightened flywheel
Timing kit + Water Pump + 82 degree thermostat
Regal Inlet Cam
EDS Inlet Manifold
Courtney thermal inlet manifold gasket
RSS Valve Stem Seal retainers
Forge Recirc Valve

I think that is it. i really don't want to add up what i just spent.....

Sammich
18th November 2014, 10:33 PM
just got a sms from the bank because i spent so much on the credit card...

NoX-Troniq
18th November 2014, 10:36 PM
Got my new gague in, seems to sit at 50 PSi while driving and 20 while idling. Only the old switch isn't connected and the OP light is on.

Ive been told that the switch isn't connected to the cars ECU, and it didn't drive any differently, so I'm going to take the dash bulb out and tuck the wire away.

DWS 92
18th November 2014, 11:54 PM
Got my new gague in, seems to sit at 50 PSi while driving and 20 while idling. Only the old switch isn't connected and the OP light is on.

Ive been told that the switch isn't connected to the cars ECU, and it didn't drive any differently, so I'm going to take the dash bulb out and tuck the wire away.
You should be able to ground the wire somewhere to complete the circuit, would be easier than pulling the dash apart..

NoX-Troniq
19th November 2014, 12:01 AM
You should be able to ground the wire somewhere to complete the circuit, would be easier than pulling the dash apart..
Its grounded now, so I dunno what's up with it, I'll mess about with it tomorra.

Elliot_O
19th November 2014, 12:09 AM

VXR Turbo
80mm AFM
VXR Injectors
OPC Engine cover
OPC Front Grill
Quaife LSD
Regal Inlet Cam
EDS Inlet Manifold
Forge Recirc Valve

Bloody impressive list there mate!

SilentShout
19th November 2014, 01:13 AM
engine mount was easier to drill out than expected. Plan with the high tensile bolts works which was awesome as i was about ready to set fire to the car. put all relative bits together, filled with nessesary fluids and hoped for the best as I turned the key.

Few splutters and it died. Quick punch to the dash (seats the plug again so the immobiliser doesnt cut the engine) turned the key and she started however there was a loud whirr coming from the cam gears. Guy confirmed what i thought and that was the belt was tensioned way too high. so pulled it apart again (much quicker process when you know how everything works and goes together) and through rotating the crank and seating the tensioner finally got it so the belt could go one full revolution and the tensioner stayed in the correct position. checked it a few more times then pieced it back together, started it and boy did the car sing! :D put pieces back together then dropped it for a road test.

The response was incredible, it actually feels like a whole new engine. you can start to feel it really pick up from around 3100rpm opposed to the sudden increase of power at 4k rpm like before. power delivery is smooth and the exhaust note sounds different (unfortunately much louder)

Im unsure whether it was the fact that the crank was one tooth out on timing from the idiots who worked on the car prior to me, the fact that all the sludge is cleaned from the throttle body, the slightly thinner nulon oil or a combination of all of them together (most likely this explination) but yeah the car is amazing.

Only thing i noticed is that the coolant temp needle sits ever so slightly higher than the 90 mark in general traffic. same conditions saw the other green crappy coolant sit at 90 on the dot all day erry day.

ill keep an eye on it, but for now enjoying my road registered go kart :)

Big thank you to everyone on the forums who gave me advice or support through this hellish experience, also big shout out to Guy 27 for putting up with my txt messaging and z18xe related inquiries.

Next on the list in no particular order is a thorough clean, install the boots, fix the dash, new tyres (and hopefully rims too) and brake discs and pads all round.

It never ends but thats the joy of cars right? :woohoo1:

vekara
19th November 2014, 07:01 AM

VXR Turbo
80mm AFM
VXR Injectors
OPC Engine cover
OPC Front Grill
Quaife LSD
Regal Inlet Cam
EDS Inlet Manifold
Forge Recirc Valve

I think the internals are different in VXR to take the extra power. those in the know may confirm that.

vekara
19th November 2014, 07:06 AM
engine mount was easier to drill out than expected. Plan with the high tensile bolts works which was awesome as i was about ready to set fire to the car. put all relative bits together, filled with nessesary fluids and hoped for the best as I turned the key.

Few splutters and it died. Quick punch to the dash (seats the plug again so the immobiliser doesnt cut the engine) turned the key and she started however there was a loud whirr coming from the cam gears. Guy confirmed what i thought and that was the belt was tensioned way too high. so pulled it apart again (much quicker process when you know how everything works and goes together) and through rotating the crank and seating the tensioner finally got it so the belt could go one full revolution and the tensioner stayed in the correct position. checked it a few more times then pieced it back together, started it and boy did the car sing! :D put pieces back together then dropped it for a road test.

The response was incredible, it actually feels like a whole new engine. you can start to feel it really pick up from around 3100rpm opposed to the sudden increase of power at 4k rpm like before. power delivery is smooth and the exhaust note sounds different (unfortunately much louder)

Im unsure whether it was the fact that the crank was one tooth out on timing from the idiots who worked on the car prior to me, the fact that all the sludge is cleaned from the throttle body, the slightly thinner nulon oil or a combination of all of them together (most likely this explination) but yeah the car is amazing.

Only thing i noticed is that the coolant temp needle sits ever so slightly higher than the 90 mark in general traffic. same conditions saw the other green crappy coolant sit at 90 on the dot all day erry day.

ill keep an eye on it, but for now enjoying my road registered go kart :)

Big thank you to everyone on the forums who gave me advice or support through this hellish experience, also big shout out to Guy 27 for putting up with my txt messaging and z18xe related inquiries.

Next on the list in no particular order is a thorough clean, install the boots, fix the dash, new tyres (and hopefully rims too) and brake discs and pads all round.

It never ends but thats the joy of cars right? :woohoo1:

Well done SilentShout, it gives great satisfaction to achieve something difficult.

hazrd
19th November 2014, 08:44 AM

VXR Turbo
80mm AFM
VXR Injectors
OPC Engine cover
OPC Front Grill
Quaife LSD
Regal Inlet Cam
EDS Inlet Manifold
Forge Recirc Valve

I just added that all up in my head. No, dont add it up :lol:

Sammich
19th November 2014, 09:41 AM
Worst thing is, I still have to get things fitted, lucky half of it I can do

Raisin
19th November 2014, 10:24 AM
Nice purchase man! :D

Sammich
19th November 2014, 11:00 AM
I think the internals are different in VXR to take the extra power. those in the know may confirm that.

Yes they are, the mods that are going on the car are the limit of what it can take without forged pistons and rods. hopefully be around 310 - 330hp at the engine. Worst case the engine goes bang and cant be rebuilt with forged gear will buy a Z20LEH and throw that in current motor has 180k km's on it anyway so not expecting it to go much more then 250k km's.

gman
19th November 2014, 02:16 PM
So who's pushing enough power to put the current front bar on a road car? :P

LOL...It more the front suspension to take the downforce, but I'd imagine most cars would probably get to about 140-160KPH and either hit a wall of hit the ground!!! :LOL:

vekara
19th November 2014, 03:19 PM
Yes they are, the mods that are going on the car are the limit of what it can take without forged pistons and rods. hopefully be around 310 - 330hp at the engine. Worst case the engine goes bang and cant be rebuilt with forged gear will buy a Z20LEH and throw that in current motor has 180k km's on it anyway so not expecting it to go much more then 250k km's.

I think that a standard LER pistons and conrods are struggling to take 330hp. I have seen few bent conrods at that power output. OPC LEH engine outputs just over 200kw and the internals are stronger than the 147kw..
Also the standard clutch is on the edge of its durability.

NoX-Troniq
19th November 2014, 03:21 PM
Gonna try putting the old switch back in and connecting it to the vague, see what happens

guy 27
19th November 2014, 05:37 PM
Silver Sri #3
Removed interior.
Detailed everything inside.
Put new interior in
Upgraded some bits.

Washed outside to start polishing paint work.
Started raining. Put wet muddy dog in car.
Put dusty car Cover on it.

Gotta go do it all again now.....

Feels like a new car inside now.

adam_92
19th November 2014, 06:05 PM
I hope you took the dog out before putting the cover on! Haha

vekara
19th November 2014, 06:29 PM
Vectra B 2.6, for the last three days, wash and clay, then run Mequiar's Scratch X to cut slight oxidation off and finally Mequiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0. shines like it was new.

guy 27
19th November 2014, 08:10 PM
I did dobbo.
Car is now spotless inside and out.

To do list:
Colour code sideskirts and bump strips.
Suspension upgrade (Prokit with new shocks)
Wheels and tyres.

sskustomz
19th November 2014, 10:06 PM
Nice work SilentShout ! Conversion of oil filter isn't hard but you need the centre spigot from something that uses spin on filters, then you just plug the bottom hole under the filter and you're done.

chris_r
19th November 2014, 11:05 PM
Decided to give up on the idea of refitting AC with the Z20LET. Too much bloody hassle to make the compressor fit. So, I thought I'd go and order the adjustable alternator bracket kit from MTech. And some other bits whilst I was at it.

guy 27
20th November 2014, 07:51 PM
Sri #3 is almost done.

To do list:
Detail underside of car.
install colour coded bump strips and sideskirts.
install wind deflectors.
install chrome boot trim.
repaint rear bar (current one has faded paint)

Window tint on rear windows could do with being redone. This will probably be left to next owner.

So pretty much in the last week its had new reco engine, new nearly complete interior, new suspension and wheels, cut and polish plus heaps more things. Will put up a for sale thread for it soon.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/skyguy27/2014-11-20180451_zpsc99efc87.jpg

NoX-Troniq
20th November 2014, 08:30 PM
Got my new sender in and so far no leaks.

faneca
23rd November 2014, 01:33 PM
Ticked over 100k kms on the way back from the wedding this weekend. Order more parts. From the US this time

Raisin
23rd November 2014, 01:44 PM
Ticked over 100k kms on the way back from the wedding this weekend. Order more parts. From the US this time

Oooh, mysterious! :D

chris_r
23rd November 2014, 02:25 PM

Wavetrac diff I'm guessing.

faneca
23rd November 2014, 02:30 PM
Wavetrac diff I'm guessing.

I guess we will find out lol :P

adam_92
23rd November 2014, 02:38 PM
Is this what you snap chatted me about the other day?

faneca
23rd November 2014, 02:51 PM
I dunno probably lol I can't remember what I did the other day lol.

chris_r
23rd November 2014, 10:17 PM
Well, I started stripping bits and pieces off the Z20LET radiator yesterday and found that said radiator has a 50 cent sized hole in it, so I went and ordered a new one. Also took most of the engine bay loom out in preparation for the new loom when it arrives and started fitting the Walbro in-tank pump (and removing the in-tank fuel pressure regulator whilst I'm at it. Front part of the exhaust is also fitted and the AC bracket and tensioner have been removed.

Next up, I'll probably finish taking the engine bay loom out and refitting the fuel pump assembly. Taking the intake manifold and alternator off too, so I can get to the coolant hoses underneath and fit the M-Tech alternator bracket when it arrives. Steering knuckles should be back this week, so I should be able to bolt them in, put driveshafts in and the brakes back on (waiting on new discs in my M-Tech order too). Any luck and my hoses should be here this week too.

poita
24th November 2014, 10:33 AM
US grille and front splitter fitted

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/dc0d90754a5263490a7bae04202769da.jpg

DJM83
24th November 2014, 10:39 AM
You forgot to put your shit headlights back in...

poita
24th November 2014, 10:46 AM
Nah left them in your car

Elliot_O
24th November 2014, 03:05 PM
That lip looks wicked

poita
24th November 2014, 03:22 PM
Will take a better pic soon, ie not with a potato

Jen
24th November 2014, 04:46 PM
Washed it yesterday then it sat in the garage. Sorry for the now torrential rain Melbourne...

poita
24th November 2014, 07:07 PM
That lip looks wicked
Better pic, but more bugs lol. Hate driving at night. Personalised plates on the way

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/24/eeca9eae58fb1125d11a8d819decd068.jpg

Elliot_O
24th November 2014, 08:16 PM
Niiiiiiice!

hazrd
25th November 2014, 08:51 AM
The cats out of the bag....

poita
25th November 2014, 12:35 PM
The cats out of the bag....

:lol:

gman
25th November 2014, 02:01 PM
Saw a pic today of my car with a new engine and gearbox mocked up. Tight fit, but man it was very exciting!!!!

sooty
25th November 2014, 09:39 PM
Ordered new wheels...now the painful 8 week wait from Japan!

Raisin
25th November 2014, 10:02 PM

I feel you man! I ordered about 4 months ago and still have about 8 weeks to go!

sooty
25th November 2014, 10:12 PM
I feel you man! I ordered about 4 months ago and still have about 8 weeks to go!

Fk that! :lol:
At least we'll both be happy about the same time.

Raisin
25th November 2014, 10:21 PM
Fk that! :lol:
At least we'll both be happy about the same time.

Haha yep. :lol:

Shadow110
25th November 2014, 11:02 PM
So started a crazy job...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/cf81acde53aadbfbdd3e46d3d8934a30.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/f6d12f8a8772528871460713e6a13914.jpg

Raisin
25th November 2014, 11:05 PM
+ Like!

Shotgun a ride soon. :D

adam_92
25th November 2014, 11:21 PM
You'll love it!

mylifeasbenjamin
26th November 2014, 01:25 AM

Anyone know if these rims (I think they're from an AH Turbo) will fit a TS Sedan?

Shadow110
26th November 2014, 01:45 AM

Anyone know if these rims (I think they're from an AH Turbo) will fit a TS Sedan?
If its a 5 stud yes... they look like turbo rims yeh...

Shadow110
26th November 2014, 01:46 AM
+ Like!

Shotgun a ride soon. :D
I may pop around to your work after I put it all back together.

You'll love it!

Man its taking forever to sort out... stupid me took it all apart to clean... big mistake...

mylifeasbenjamin
26th November 2014, 01:47 AM
If its a 5 stud yes... they look like turbo rims yeh...

Yay :) Does any one have one in Perth they want to sell, as the guy with these only has 3 :(

vekara
26th November 2014, 08:01 AM

They are AH turbo wheels, i just recond mine.

Raisin
26th November 2014, 10:01 AM
I may pop around to your work after I put it all back together.

Man its taking forever to sort out... stupid me took it all apart to clean... big mistake...

Yeah sure, just text me first to make sure I haven't had to shoot out onsite.

hazrd
26th November 2014, 10:29 AM

same ones you showed me a while back?

Shadow110
26th November 2014, 12:03 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/b7b1846abaea45df62cc69fd7185cae1.jpg
She's a tight fit but its all done now... never cut and dashed myself so much doing one thing

Jen
26th November 2014, 12:16 PM
Paid it off! Woo hoo it's officially mine!!!

JohnBu
26th November 2014, 12:40 PM
Paid it off! Woo hoo it's officially mine!!!

A little birdie told me you want to replace it with a SUV!

Jen
26th November 2014, 01:16 PM
A little birdie told me you want to replace it with a SUV!
Well a mini suv and it's only a thought, I'll enjoy life without a car loan for a little bit first

JohnBu
26th November 2014, 02:25 PM
Well a mini suv and it's only a thought, I'll enjoy life without a car loan for a little bit first

No need for a new car when you don't do too many KMs, and if you want to thrash a car, there's a red one in the garage.

hazrd
26th November 2014, 03:27 PM
No need for a new car when you don't do too many KMs, and if you want to thrash a car, there's a red one in the garage.

HA! yeah fkn right!

sooty
26th November 2014, 05:03 PM
same ones you showed me a while back?
It's a secret. Will look good though

chris_r
26th November 2014, 08:19 PM
Had a parcel turn up today:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141126_190715_zpsmeqonies.jpg

Raisin
26th November 2014, 08:26 PM
Had a parcel turn up today:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141126_190715_zpsmeqonies.jpg

Nice! I got an email saying "Delivery Confirmation" but didn't get a package. Although when I logged into the tracking it appears as though the courier there just handed it over for international handling now.

chris_r
26th November 2014, 11:35 PM
Nice! I got an email saying "Delivery Confirmation" but didn't get a package. Although when I logged into the tracking it appears as though the courier there just handed it over for international handling now.

You would've ordered yours around the same time as me I would've thought. At least now I can start working on getting all the plumbing sorted as I wait for this wiring loom to turn up, ended up pulling out the old loom tonight too.

Raisin
27th November 2014, 09:23 AM
You would've ordered yours around the same time as me I would've thought. At least now I can start working on getting all the plumbing sorted as I wait for this wiring loom to turn up, ended up pulling out the old loom tonight too.

I ordered mine on the 9th of November.

chris_r
27th November 2014, 09:26 AM
I ordered mine on the 9th of November.
Ordered mine on the 27th of October. You might be lucky if they land by Christmas.

Raisin
27th November 2014, 10:37 AM
Ordered mine on the 27th of October. You might be lucky if they land by Christmas.

LOL I guess I should consider myself very lucky then. They came through the door about 20 minutes ago. :woohoo1:

Did you order direct from Roose Motorsport?

chris_r
27th November 2014, 10:46 AM
LOL I guess I should consider myself very lucky then. They came through the door about 20 minutes ago. :woohoo1:

Did you order direct from Roose Motorsport?
Yep, straight from Roose. Might have to order the crossover delete kit from them yet.

Raisin
27th November 2014, 11:04 AM
Yep, straight from Roose. Might have to order the crossover delete kit from them yet.

Yeah that's something I still want to order too. I'm just trying to stay within budget and get the car on the road at the moment though. I will address other fun things next year.

SilentShout
27th November 2014, 11:35 AM
So guess who thought he could get away with not replacing the valve cover gasket during a major service....

Bonus +1 internets if you guess whos valve cover gasket is now leaking :(

fml.

Raisin
27th November 2014, 12:05 PM
So guess who thought he could get away with not replacing the valve cover gasket during a major service....

Bonus +1 internets if you guess whos valve cover gasket is now leaking :(

fml.

My Corsa's one has also started leaking ever so slightly so I'll have to do that once I get the Astra back on the road.

mylifeasbenjamin
30th November 2014, 02:34 PM
My car threw up P0302 (cylinder2 misfire). Going to do the plugs this arvo. Has anyone else had this code and found how to fix it,

Kennedy
30th November 2014, 02:41 PM
Who said a vectra cdti airbox wont fit in an astra :)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/29/0480dfba46a626b9dc0f81babeec28ff.jpg

Sammich
30th November 2014, 03:40 PM
That looks like a good sized airbox...

Shadow110
30th November 2014, 04:07 PM
Who said a vectra cdti airbox wont fit in an astra :)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/29/0480dfba46a626b9dc0f81babeec28ff.jpg
Where does your rocker cover breather go?

Kennedy
30th November 2014, 04:09 PM
To atmosphere

vekara
30th November 2014, 05:52 PM
My car threw up P0302 (cylinder2 misfire). Going to do the plugs this arvo. Has anyone else had this code and found how to fix it,

Yeah, i think the problems was a badly pushed in injector connector. plugs first and if the code still comes up you may have a faulty coil pack.

vekara
30th November 2014, 05:55 PM
Where does your rocker cover breather go?

Mine too, into the right mudguard through one of the holes but I get some breather smell sometimes when standing and the wind is blowing in the right direction. There is another option, feed it into the airbox before the filter so that any oil steam is soaked into the filter rather than stain the MAF.

Kennedy
30th November 2014, 05:57 PM
I dont trust that as these mafs are as weak as a bogans claim to being normal. I had an idea of running it into the exhaust, pointing in the direction of the flow. Would be too much ****ing around though

mylifeasbenjamin
30th November 2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah, i think the problems was a badly pushed in injector connector. plugs first and if the code still comes up you may have a faulty coil pack.

Got the plugs so I'll see how I go. Mine runs perfect unless you really put your foot into it, or it's just started.

Shadow110
30th November 2014, 06:49 PM
To atmosphere
I got a little bung welded to my pipe for that :-)

vekara
30th November 2014, 06:59 PM
Got the plugs so I'll see how I go. Mine runs perfect unless you really put your foot into it, or it's just started.

Sounds like a coil problem. when the cylinder pressure goes up the spark voltage has to increase too to overcome the pressure, in other words the voltage to create a ignition will increase. if the coil is weak then this is what may happen.

mylifeasbenjamin
30th November 2014, 07:00 PM
Yet another one :(

vekara
30th November 2014, 07:07 PM
I dont trust that as these mafs are as weak as a bogans claim to being normal. I had an idea of running it into the exhaust, pointing in the direction of the flow. Would be too much ****ing around though

I was too thinking about that but the joint should be at the end of the exhaust, the crankcase needs positive ventilation, meaning something has to suck the steam out. The whole idea of feeding crank case gases into the intake to be "burned" by the engine again is just crazy from performance point of view. We put considerable effort in maximising the air volume and lowering the temperature of the intake air and then feed hot oxygen starved gases into it.... makes no sense at all. it s all to do with pollution only, nothing more.

Kennedy
30th November 2014, 07:33 PM
It's sorta similar to EGR in a way. I will keep it like it is for a while. No doubt I'll change it again lol

guy 27
30th November 2014, 08:10 PM
Finished building engine.
Put linea rossa on hoist.
Spent 2 hours high pressure washing underside of car.

adam_92
30th November 2014, 08:27 PM
Stripped head off the z18 motor that I got with a destroyed waterpump. Valves bent on intake side, but pistons arent even marked which I didn't expect. Im guessing waterpump was the original as it took me 2.5 hours of grinding and smashing with prybars and hammers to pop it out. Then lightly sanded everything around where the waterpump sits to clean it up and cleaned the heads of the pistons and block.

poita
30th November 2014, 08:33 PM
Put another 400km~ on it today, almost 2500km in 3 weeks :(

chris_r
1st December 2014, 12:58 AM
Removed intake manifold to get to the coolant hoses on the rear of the engine. Intake manifold is filthy as, so it will get a good cleaning up before going back on (waiting on new gasket anyway). Next will be to unbolt oil cooler to put new hoses in and remove alternator to put new belt and bracket in.

If all goes to plan, I should also have the majority of parts needed to complete the job here this week.

SilentShout
1st December 2014, 01:27 AM
Stripped head off the z18 motor that I got with a destroyed waterpump. Valves bent on intake side, but pistons arent even marked which I didn't expect. Im guessing waterpump was the original as it took me 2.5 hours of grinding and smashing with prybars and hammers to pop it out. Then lightly sanded everything around where the waterpump sits to clean it up and cleaned the heads of the pistons and block.

i definitly definitly feel your pain right there. Although its lucky it only took you 2 hrs to do it. Took me 3 days, broken crowbar broken engine mount bolt 7 drill bits 4 cutting discs 2 hammers as one broke and a cold chisle to get mine off piece by piece. :(

Probably took so long as my engine wasnt out of the car.

Such pain.

chris_r
1st December 2014, 07:55 AM
I had this happen on an engine outside the car once too. All I did was remove the rear coolant pipe and 3 way hose, get an 1/2" extension bar in where the back of the water pump is and smash the f@%# out of it. Obviously, it's not that easy with the engine in the car.

adam_92
1st December 2014, 10:30 AM
Thats what I ended up doing chris but the bar punched through the middle of the waterpump it was seized that nadly.

chris_r
1st December 2014, 12:44 PM
Thats what I ended up doing chris but the bar punched through the middle of the waterpump it was seized that nadly.
Screw that for a joke. Something about these stupid Z18 pumps I tell ya.

chris_r
1st December 2014, 12:48 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141201_115822_zpsshwtg1iv.jpg (http://s226.photobucket.com/user/chris_110980/media/IMG_20141201_115822_zpsshwtg1iv.jpg.html)

More parts have arrived, meaning more work for me!

Raisin
1st December 2014, 01:25 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141201_115822_zpsshwtg1iv.jpg (http://s226.photobucket.com/user/chris_110980/media/IMG_20141201_115822_zpsshwtg1iv.jpg.html)

More parts have arrived, meaning more work for me!

YAY! I also had a small order arrive today.

I'll be ordering new brake stuff later today too now that I've been paid. Hopefully I can get everything landed before we close for Christmas and then I'll have a few days to just work on the car.

chris_r
1st December 2014, 01:41 PM
YAY! I also had a small order arrive today.

I'll be ordering new brake stuff later today too now that I've been paid. Hopefully I can get everything landed before we close for Christmas and then I'll have a few days to just work on the car.
Only thing I've got to order now is the crossover delete hoses. Other than that, I've pretty much ordered all I need to get it running.

Raisin
1st December 2014, 01:53 PM
Only thing I've got to order now is the crossover delete hoses. Other than that, I've pretty much ordered all I need to get it running.

Exciting times! :D We might get boost back around the same time then haha.

chris_r
1st December 2014, 02:02 PM
Exciting times! :D We might get boost back around the same time then haha.
Indeed. You'd be getting it back, I'd be getting it on the road for the first time with boost. But, I think I've got a lot more to get done though.

Raisin
1st December 2014, 02:05 PM
Indeed. You'd be getting it back, I'd be getting it on the road for the first time with boost. But, I think I've got a lot more to get done though.

Yeah you have quite the list! Mine is large too, but my financial means are getting the better of me so I keep trimming down the list to get the car back on the road this year. :P

chris_r
1st December 2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah you have quite the list! Mine is large too, but my financial means are getting the better of me so I keep trimming down the list to get the car back on the road this year. :P
I'm aiming to have the car running by the end of the month. By the time that happens, I'll still need the back half of the exhaust made up, but I can't see that happening until the new year with shops closed over Christmas.

Raisin
1st December 2014, 03:44 PM
Are the Courtenay Sport braided brake hoses any good?

chris_r
1st December 2014, 04:36 PM
Are the Courtenay Sport braided brake hoses any good?
HEL ones are good and they're also ADR approved, meaning they're legal.

Raisin
1st December 2014, 04:50 PM
HEL ones are good and they're also ADR approved, meaning they're legal.

I'm all for staying legal!

DWS 92
1st December 2014, 08:38 PM
Finally giving it some lovin'

Ordered this:

http://static.shop033.com/UserFiles/4223-Files/Image/PROKIT(1).gif

Next is a big order from Autovaux, just about to tick over 120,000 :(

Silver Surfer
1st December 2014, 09:10 PM
Noice:smile5:
Finally giving it some lovin'

Ordered this:

http://static.shop033.com/UserFiles/4223-Files/Image/PROKIT(1).gif

Next is a big order from Autovaux, just about to tick over 120,000 :(

chris_r
1st December 2014, 09:40 PM
Just put the rear coolant hoses on the Z20LET (water pump to oil cooler and back of the head to the oil cooler) and a couple of others. Degreased intake manifold too whilst it's off. Waiting for new gasket to get here before it goes back on.

Raisin
2nd December 2014, 09:42 PM
Got my new brakes from GSL Rallysport today.

DBA 4000 T3 rotors for the front
DBA T2 rotors for the rear

QFM A1RM Pads all round

and some TRW Dot 4 racing fluid

HEL Braided brake lines are on the way too.

Raisin
2nd December 2014, 09:49 PM
*Double Post*

Sammich
3rd December 2014, 11:22 AM
Had a couple of boxes of stuff arrive, of course I need to wait for 1 of the other 2 to arrive before I can actually start work on the car...

Raisin
3rd December 2014, 11:34 AM
Had a couple of boxes of stuff arrive, of course I need to wait for 1 of the other 2 to arrive before I can actually start work on the car...

Nice!
Be sure to throw up pics here or in your car's thread! :D

Sammich
3rd December 2014, 03:19 PM
unfortunatly it is only the uninteresting stuff that has arrived other than the lightened flywheel / uprated clutch and the VXR AFM and fuel rail

DRMAT
3rd December 2014, 04:42 PM
Just put the rear coolant hoses on the Z20LET (water pump to oil cooler and back of the head to the oil cooler) and a couple of others. Degreased intake manifold too whilst it's off. Waiting for new gasket to get here before it goes back on.

Should give it a bit of a port job while it's all off and you're waiting!

chris_r
3rd December 2014, 04:54 PM
Should give it a bit of a port job while it's all off and you're waiting!
Not worth it. For it to pass roadworthy, engine has to remain stock. Can't even have a flash tune. I can get away with some differences in the intake piping though. Plus, if I was going to go to that effort, there's a high flow intake manifold available that nets significant gains on tuned Z20LETs that I'll look at down the track.

Raisin
3rd December 2014, 07:06 PM
How will they know if it's not exactly the standard ROM on the ECU though? I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just curious as to how indepth they are when checking for stuff like that.

chris_r
3rd December 2014, 08:23 PM
How will they know if it's not exactly the standard ROM on the ECU though? I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just curious as to how indepth they are when checking for stuff like that.
I guess there is a way. I'd say tuners often would leave their own stamp in the code somewhere, which would be flagged as a dead giveaway. I know when I plug the OP-COM into a Z18XE, it'll tell me in the connection status when the ECU has been replaced or reprogrammed, so if flash tunes such as the IPF leave a signature behind in the same manner, it'll probably be found just as easily.

Raisin
3rd December 2014, 08:27 PM
I guess there is a way. I'd say tuners often would leave their own stamp in the code somewhere, which would be flagged as a dead giveaway. I know when I plug the OP-COM into a Z18XE, it'll tell me in the connection status when the ECU has been replaced or reprogrammed, so if flash tunes such as the IPF leave a signature behind in the same manner, it'll probably be found just as easily.

Ah ok. I guess that makes sense.

Raisin
3rd December 2014, 08:39 PM
*Double Post*

mylifeasbenjamin
3rd December 2014, 11:28 PM
I'm looking at a new car, either a AH SRi Turbo or a VXR. Has any one driven one from over East to Perth, and knows what needs to be done to license it in WA?

chris_r
4th December 2014, 12:00 AM
I'm looking at a new car, either a AH SRi Turbo or a VXR. Has any one driven one from over East to Perth, and knows what needs to be done to license it in WA?

May as well spend the extra and get the VXR over the regular SRi Turbo. The Z20LEH in the VXR has a few extra little tweaks, like oil squirters under the pistons to help keep them cool.

As for rego in WA, contact your local authority for more details. Trust me, it's not that hard to make a phone call and ask. If it's anything like SA though, any car from interstate pretty much just needs a Tier 2 identity check, which is roll up to the inspection station, get them to check engine numbers, VIN, etc. and pray that it ain't stolen. After that, it's roll around to the rego office, register the car and get your new plates.

mylifeasbenjamin
4th December 2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I'm looking at the VXR's :)

Thanks for that info man! I'll give them a call. I'm worried that if it has to go over the pits it could become expensive.

Sammich
4th December 2014, 11:40 AM
Man, I wish i t was that easy in NSW, you need a blue slip which is a major roadworthy inspection. Most places do a pretty thorough inspection aswell. Can fail here for anything from bearings to seatbelt tensioners.

Sammich
4th December 2014, 02:26 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/03/fcd1653089eb471529791d6deaec186d.jpg

Got a delivery today, now I am just waiting on the big package from regal :)

abbadonz
4th December 2014, 06:02 PM
Last weekend redid my rocker cover gasket, installed a new oil breather (being optimistic that I will find a cdti air box soon to replace the crossover n shit). Then new rims this week as I had two cracked rims. Wahhhh. 5559556055615562556355645565

chris_r
4th December 2014, 09:22 PM
Finished fitting the fuel pump (minus in-tank FPR, not used for the Z20LET). Also trial fitted the radiator and found that my front subframe mount fouls on the bottom of the factory Z20LET fan. Will probably need to get an aftermarket thermo fan (as I will also need to run a thermatic switch anyway).

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141204_203211_zpsvexdn8wp.jpg

Gsi_Bryce
4th December 2014, 09:36 PM
That's a big rad lol

mylifeasbenjamin
4th December 2014, 11:35 PM
Anyone used anything like this and can comment on it?

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

chris_r
5th December 2014, 12:11 AM
That's a big rad lol

Well, it looks that way. It is in fact the radiator as used in the Astra Turbo.

Can't say I have, but may consider getting one myself if I can't get an airbox sorted in the Corsa anytime soon.

mylifeasbenjamin
5th December 2014, 12:15 AM
Well, it looks that way. It is in fact the radiator as used in the Astra Turbo.

Can't say I have, but may consider getting one myself if I can't get an airbox sorted in the Corsa anytime soon.

There's a guy in Perth selling them for $100 which seems cheaper than anywhere else (except a couple on eBay). Might drop him a message and get one on the weekend if I can. See what happens in a pretty much stock Z18XE (probably nothing [emoji12])

Gsi_Bryce
5th December 2014, 05:59 AM
Well, it looks that way. It is in fact the radiator as used in the Astra turbo.

That's incredible the picture just throws it off so much haha

SilentShout
5th December 2014, 11:07 AM

Check out my build thread, i have one. Makes a world of difference in response. Wont say ut adds noticable power but every bit helps.

SilentShout
5th December 2014, 11:12 AM
Scratch that ill just upload a pic :) http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/04/320354c760af8f928ebaaed04a85167e.jpg

I made a few changes. The ducting hose was crap and flimsy so i got a much nicer hose from super crap auto and made that fit. I also got a bracket from autobarn to hold it firmly in place and it works a treat. I was going to duct it to the wheel well but opted to go for the factory intake area on the front grill as it would still be cold and i wont have to worry about going through puddles :)

If i could add one more thing it would be a custom pipe from the throttle body to the filter as the black plastic one shits me because of its factoryness.

chris_r
5th December 2014, 11:45 AM
If i could add one more thing it would be a custom pipe from the throttle body to the filter as the black plastic one shits me because of its factoryness.

You mean like this one: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/300614127161?nav=SEARCH

I went ahead and ordered the K&N Apollo filter kit anyway, rather than faff around with factory airboxes. Mine would sit differently in the engine bay as I've got a Roose Motorsport crossover delete hose kit on it's way.

Raisin
5th December 2014, 02:50 PM
Jealous. I want that crossover delete too. Maybe next year.

chris_r
5th December 2014, 03:02 PM
Jealous. I want that crossover delete too. Maybe next year.
At least then you might be able to get it shipped quicker. Can't believe it's taking a whole week for stuff sent from Melbourne to get to Adelaide at the moment (usual time is about 2-3 days). FFS, it's only an 8 hour drive down the road.

SilentShout
5th December 2014, 04:01 PM
You mean like this one: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/300614127161?nav=SEARCH

I went ahead and ordered the K&N Apollo filter kit anyway, rather than faff around with factory airboxes. Mine would sit differently in the engine bay as I've got a Roose Motorsport crossover delete hose kit on it's way.
Nah id get a nicer one made up as that lierally looks just like a 90° silicone elbow you can get from anywhere.

Not going to bother with it though as i want to move forward with turbo plans now that the major service is out of the way. Im going to order a turbo rebuild kit for my ihi rhb5 and hope it lands before christmas to give me something to do over the new year.

chris_r
7th December 2014, 03:14 AM
Seeing as I'm still waiting for some crucial bits to turn up, I thought I'd spend about 35-40 mins with a drill, EZ-strip disc and an intake manifold. Need more discs to finish it off though.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141206_133436_zpsdkteouyn.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141206_133459_zpsudxf0vws.jpg

vekara
7th December 2014, 07:10 AM
And while you are at it sure you polish and reshape the adapter bit to improve air flow...
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/hannu2009/Astra%20H%20Turbo/DSC00093_zps8a5fb53c.jpg
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/hannu2009/Astra%20H%20Turbo/DSC00091SML_zps17286c0f.jpg

vekara
7th December 2014, 07:11 AM
And while you are at it sure you polish and reshape the adapter bit to improve air flow. Need to get that bell shape input.
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/hannu2009/Astra%20H%20Turbo/DSC00093_zps8a5fb53c.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/hannu2009/Astra%20H%20Turbo/DSC00091SML_zps17286c0f.jpg

mylifeasbenjamin
7th December 2014, 10:44 AM
Scratch that ill just upload a pic :) http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/04/320354c760af8f928ebaaed04a85167e.jpg

I made a few changes. The ducting hose was crap and flimsy so i got a much nicer hose from super crap auto and made that fit. I also got a bracket from autobarn to hold it firmly in place and it works a treat. I was going to duct it to the wheel well but opted to go for the factory intake area on the front grill as it would still be cold and i wont have to worry about going through puddles :)

Looks sweet mate! Definitely want one now! Also, when you say it improves response, what do you mean by that?

Also, went to Perth yesterday and saw a blue Corsa OPC and a white Insignia OPC, anyone on here?

chris_r
7th December 2014, 11:21 AM
And while you are at it sure you polish and reshape the adapter bit to improve air flow. Need to get that bell shape input.

No need for me as I'm replacing the top hat with one from TX Autosport along with the power pipe and intercooler kit.

mylifeasbenjamin
7th December 2014, 06:55 PM
A couple of hours and a nice sunburn later, my outside door trim matches the rest of the door [emoji1]

SilentShout
8th December 2014, 01:55 AM
Looks sweet mate! Definitely want one now! Also, when you say it improves response, what do you mean by that?

Also, went to Perth yesterday and saw a blue Corsa OPC and a white Insignia OPC, anyone on here?

Hard to describe unless you have felt a car before and after. Best way to describe it is it climbs more freely through the rev range and doesnt have any more flat spots, (most went when i installed the apollo, the rest went when i installed the EGR blank plate)

kinda like the car "feels better" not necessarily faster so to speak. doesn't add noticeable power though, keep that in mind.

vekara
8th December 2014, 07:28 AM
Hard to describe unless you have felt a car before and after. Best way to describe it is it climbs more freely through the rev range and doesnt have any more flat spots, (most went when i installed the apollo, the rest went when i installed the EGR blank plate)

kinda like the car "feels better" not necessarily faster so to speak. doesn't add noticeable power though, keep that in mind.

In other words better engine response. I found that out when I modified the Vectra intake, not necessarily more power but the engine responded slightly better so when in the past it felt hesitating and "clearing its throat", now it picks up revs faster and as a result taking off from traffic light is faster. Fuel consumption went up though, just slightly, but that was the trade off and i am happy with that. also don't forget to use BP ultimate fuel, i found that be better than Shell v-power and more consistent quality. The fuel issue depends on the engine, some are more sensitive than others.

SilentShout
8th December 2014, 07:33 AM
I love caltex 98 as its pure unadulterated fuel.

Vpower is very sooty and used to love to blacken the bumper on my s15 but it was the fuel the car loved.

Bp ultimate is good but i havnt noticed anything wow about it tbh.

At the end of the day caltex own the refinery, all three trucks arrive and are filled. The bp and shell people pour their additives in, while the caltex truck drives off.

:)

vekara
8th December 2014, 09:28 AM
All fuel are basically the same , it is the additives that make the difference. There has been a lot of discussion about fuels not just in Australia but around the world and although we don't have the "best fuel in the world" , it is quite ok for the average car. I have heard that there are some German car models that are not imported here because our fuel does not meet the standards that car requires. Most German high performance cars require at least 98 RON fuel, preferably 100, which we don't have here since Shell discontinued its racing fuel few years ago. That was great stuff, my V6 Vectra loved it.

BP ultimate is known for abt 7% reduction in fuel consumption and better performance compared to other fuels that's why you don't see it discounted, because it is premium. Those who have the benefit will not use other fuels even if they are cheaper.

As said before, what fuel suits best depends on the car, at one stage I had a 1.8 astra G where it made no difference what you put in the tank including methanol mixes. Astra G 2.2 loved high octane, it must have gained 10-15 hp and more torque with 102 RON fuel. Vectra V6 runs great on 102 RON and dies you you feed anything less that 98. even the AT gearbox gets confused with 95 methanol mixes.

Same goes with engine oils, all have a mineral oil base coming from the ground, upto 85% according to some estimates, it is the additives that make the difference.

Did you know that when benzine gets older its density increase and you get more power per volume? I have noticed that when I have three weeks old fuel in the Vectra's tank the engine becomes more responsive and runs better. Perhaps it also has something to do with the reduced pre-ignition allowing the cpu to advance the timing and run more efficiently. You may have noticed that if you have 3 month old fuel in the lawn mower tank it is difficult to start, for the same reason.

chris_r
8th December 2014, 12:53 PM
Wiring loom turned up today, as well as the F23 anti-play/refurb kit and TX Autosport phenolic manifold gasket set.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/07/481dc8d8f2e26e803bfde0cd3e7e1bae.jpg

poita
8th December 2014, 01:19 PM
Personalised plates arrived :D

faneca
9th December 2014, 04:42 PM
So everything is here and ready to go in Friday!
So keen to get this all in!

Will probably need to update my thread afterwards too

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/42942eff2b837ce1b18b19e76dd75b0a.jpg

Shadow110
9th December 2014, 08:26 PM
Is that a heat shield on the bottom left?

faneca
9th December 2014, 08:38 PM
Is that a heat shield on the bottom left?
It is yes, need to give the engine bay a good clean and then get an e torx socket set to fit it lol.

GUN16V
9th December 2014, 08:39 PM
Yep sure is. I was thinking of removing mine. I like the look of the vxr manifold for some reason..

chris_r
9th December 2014, 09:16 PM
It is yes, need to give the engine bay a good clean and then get an e torx socket set to fit it lol.

And it adds massive wang factor too, I bet.

faneca
9th December 2014, 09:18 PM
Haha don't know about that I'm just hoping it helps stop some of the heat in there. Still gives me access to the actuator also so that's also handy

Sammich
10th December 2014, 02:35 PM
think i have finally killed the mounting holes for the front bumper....

anyone have some tips for fixing? i did have washers glued on but the bond broke today taking the final bit of the plastic off with it so now both sides are opened right up....

vekara
10th December 2014, 04:42 PM

anyone have some tips for fixing? i did have washers glued on but the bond broke today taking the final bit of the plastic off with it so now both sides are opened right up....

need pictures

vekara
10th December 2014, 04:43 PM

need pictures

Sammich
10th December 2014, 04:51 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/d8abf3d7207a5df989a8c7381cee4dad.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/d0b34bc5d61bbf8c4741346d0dc7ec4a.jpg
vekara

vekara
10th December 2014, 05:10 PM
I would make a metal piece of the same shape and design as the plastic bracket with a hole in where the plastic has a fixing hole. then pop rivet or use tiny screws and nuts to fix it to the broken plastic piece. Rivets from the top, through the plastic into the metal piece where it locks in. I would use 1-2mm aluminium sheet, you can buy that from Bunnings for few dollars.
I would place the aluminium underneath rather than the top of the plastic bracket so that it remains tight against the mud guard. otherwise you get a gap between them.

vekara
10th December 2014, 05:12 PM
I would make a metal piece of the same shape and design as the plastic bracket with a hole in where the plastic has a fixing hole. then pop rivet or use tiny screws and nuts to fix it to the broken plastic piece. Rivets from the top, through the plastic into the metal piece where it locks in. I would use 1-2mm aluminium sheet, you can buy that from Bunnings for few dollars.
I would place the aluminium underneath rather than the top of the plastic bracket so that it remains tight against the mud guard. otherwise you get a gap between them.

vekara
10th December 2014, 05:15 PM
double posting because the website is faulty, it tells me that the posting cannot be posted for 30 seconds and when i post again after 30 seconds there are two postings. hope poita fixes that bug soon, it's annoying.

Sammich
10th December 2014, 05:28 PM
yeh my solution to the double posting error, is to ignore it but not repost.

i have a sheet of aluminium sitting in the garage so will try and make something up.

mylifeasbenjamin
10th December 2014, 08:29 PM
yeh my solution to the double posting error, is to ignore it but not repost.

i have a sheet of aluminium sitting in the garage so will try and make something up.

Mine did that so I just screwed a bolt through the bit of plastic that was left into whatever was behind..was fine for ages

guy 27
10th December 2014, 09:14 PM
Silver zaf:

replaced front rotors as they were slightly warped
Replaced front calipers as the rubbers on the pistons were slightly damaged
Replaced thermostat as it was a 92 deg one so it now has an 82 deg on in there
Put full set of spare fuses, relays and sensors in boot.

Linea rossa:
Replaced dash globes.
Still waiting for seats and steering wheel so I can finish interior off.

abbadonz
10th December 2014, 10:42 PM
Zomg.. I got the exact same thing.. Just need the whole thing repaired I think

chris_r
10th December 2014, 11:28 PM
Put the intake manifold and throttle body back on. Couldn't be arsed polishing the whole lot. Also put the top hat on to see how it looks.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141210_213740_zps80i2mpea.jpg

SilentShout
11th December 2014, 01:24 AM
Silver zaf:

replaced front rotors as they were slightly warped
Replaced front calipers as the rubbers on the pistons were slightly damaged
Replaced thermostat as it was a 92 deg one so it now has an 82 deg on in there
Put full set of spare fuses, relays and sensors in boot.

Linea rossa:
Replaced dash globes.
Still waiting for seats and steering wheel so I can finish interior off.
Would you say an 82° thermostat is better?? My C sits either slightly above 90 or below 90 on the temp gauge unless is a really cold night and im driving on the hwy, then it doesnt move from its starting position.

SilentShout
11th December 2014, 01:25 AM
Put the intake manifold and throttle body back on. Couldn't be arsed polishing the whole lot. Also put the top hat on to see how it looks.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/chris_110980/IMG_20141210_213740_zps80i2mpea.jpg
Also brb,

A million of my potential children are about to die on a print out of this..... just saying. 0.o

guy 27
11th December 2014, 01:27 AM
replace it with a colder one when yours requires changing. we live in a warmer climate than europe. South africa got lower temps ones as standard, not sure why australia didn't.

SilentShout
11th December 2014, 01:31 AM
Sweet will do. I suppose it would also help prolong the ecu's lifespan too. Heard there were all sorts of heat related failures due to them bolting it to the side of the engine!! Really want to know who designed the z18xe -.-

dutchy
11th December 2014, 09:09 AM

fap

chris_r
11th December 2014, 09:32 AM
Would you say an 82° thermostat is better?? My C sits either slightly above 90 or below 90 on the temp gauge unless is a really cold night and im driving on the hwy, then it doesnt move from its starting position.
As Guy said, it should've been factory in our climate. Plus, running a larger intercooler than standard across the bottom of the radiator will slightly reduce airflow to the radiator.

replace it with a colder one when yours requires changing. we live in a warmer climate than europe. South africa got lower temps ones as standard, not sure why australia didn't.
I reckon I know why, Opel engineers probably only visited Melbourne and thought it rained more in Australia than being the dry country the rest of the place is renowned for.

Sweet will do. I suppose it would also help prolong the ecu's lifespan too. Heard there were all sorts of heat related failures due to them bolting it to the side of the engine!! Really want to know who designed the z18xe -.-
I reckon these ECUs came out around the time where the RoHS standards came in and dictated the use of lead free solders in electronics. Problem with lead free solder is expose it to any form of heat/stress and it goes brittle, then cracks forming what's known as a dry joint.

Shadow110
11th December 2014, 10:08 AM
Hmmm... mine has been running cooler with the front mount.
Maybe because it sits about 4 inches from the radiator using the standard fan

Sammich
11th December 2014, 02:54 PM
Mine has been running a bit hot lately but i think that is a combination of a FMIC where the standard fan didn't fit back on the front and TX autosport didnt send me the thermo fans that i paid for and would not respond to emails about it.... (63mm piped TX FMIC) thermostat that is stuck half open and a leaking overflow tank. lucky it is all been fixed in the next few weeks.... hasn't gone over 90 on the gauge but i used to like when it was sitting at 80 all them time.

Sammich
11th December 2014, 04:53 PM
was getting my stuff ready to get the clutch/ flywheel and LSD fitted to the car and realised i forgot to order the Concentric slave cylinder (release Bearing), thought i would give Holden a call being it is only a bearing.... $611+GST.... so i ordered one from ebay UK, $93 delivered....

GUN16V
11th December 2014, 05:46 PM
Holden are a joke..

chris_r
11th December 2014, 08:11 PM
Fitted gearshift anti-play/refurb kit. Along with the F23 M-Tech short shifter, it feels like a virgin now, lol.

Kennedy
12th December 2014, 09:44 AM
I fitted a cool running stat about 3000kms ago. On a good long freeway run, she sits at 70-75 degrees, bit too cool for my liking. On the other hand the cooling system is working very well lol

mickos
12th December 2014, 10:22 AM
I used to run an 82 I found it too cold car was just chewing fuel

Raisin
12th December 2014, 10:51 AM
I've got an 82C thermostat to go in mine. I do a lot of driving in traffic so things get really toasty with my car.

Sammich
12th December 2014, 11:20 AM
Yep, I got a 82 degree stat to go in.

dutchy
12th December 2014, 11:58 AM
After being parked (abandoned) in some parking lot for a week or so, I had her picked up and delivered home. Now she's full of bird poo, leaves and spiderwebs

Raisin
12th December 2014, 12:03 PM
After being parked (abandoned) in some parking lot for a week or so, I had her picked up and delivered home. Now she's full of bird poo, leaves and spiderwebs

What happened?

dutchy
12th December 2014, 05:45 PM
What happened?

left it in the hospital parking.

Jen
12th December 2014, 07:05 PM
left it in the hospital parking.
You drove yourself to hospital?

poita
12th December 2014, 07:24 PM
double posting because the website is faulty, it tells me that the posting cannot be posted for 30 seconds and when i post again after 30 seconds there are two postings. hope poita fixes that bug soon, it's annoying.
Sure, can you work 60 hours a week and give me the money so I can have some spare time to fix it?

faneca
12th December 2014, 07:30 PM
Lol

Dropped my car off to get my diff flywheel and clutch done, will be picking it up next Thursday cannot wait. Driving the old girl in the mean time

dutchy
12th December 2014, 08:01 PM
You drove yourself to hospital?

Yes had to, wife drives automatic only.