Thread: The Tyre Thread

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge

//drawing board

what a pita!!!
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... i could be wrong though
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    "well rory and adz held me down, nuggz grabbed the vaccuum cleaner, while guy was taping it all.

pj was taking photos but they wont be seen for 12mths and steve was in the corner playing with himself"

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2002_XC Click here to enlarge
    Don't think he can get those ones under the lease iirc
    Has he checked the load rating of the Ovations? hahaha
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pirelli P-Zero's and Yokohama AVS 103's are the top picks for 225/40/18 93Y ..

There's the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
    Last edited by gman; 4th October 2011 at 03:14 PM.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by J Click here to enlarge
    Neither do Bridgestone RE002 or S001, nor Kumho KU39 on their respective web sites...all 92 load rating.

Sorry Nurb608, but it seems to me like trying to find a needle in the haystack!

nick_sixx: Obviously we all have different priorities, and I am not sure what your current wheel and tyre sizes are, but I won't be surprised if the VXR wheels + Ovation tyres, even if the tyres are new, would perform WORSE than your current setup, especially if we compare the Ovations to back when your current tyres were newer.

Google "ovation tyre test", "budget tyre test" etc. and see what you get. Or these articles:
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...erformance.htm
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...erformance.htm

The second article talks about how the Wanli / Triangle / Linglong-equipped VW Golf in their wet braking test, was still travelling at almost 45km/h at the same point where the Continental-equipped Golf stopped!

Also, google "Wheels tyre test 2008" and note its introductory paragraphs, as well as its summary after Test 7.

[Incidentally, www.tyrereviews.co.uk does not even bother to create a section for people to comment on Ovation tyres, which may be saying something...]

Basically, with budget tyres, they may be reasonably quiet and be reasonably long lasting, but that's about it. Ever wonder why the seller is so keen to get rid of them? No offence to the seller (especially if he/she is a member here), but my guess is PERHAPS because he/she could not afford to put better replacement tyres on the VXR wheel size (indeed, I cannot), and would rather say goodbye to the VXR rims and spend another say $200 on top of the $300 he/she'll be getting, in order to go back to better tyres on smaller wheels, than his/her current setup. And $300 to me is quite a good deal for VXR rims. The fact that he/she is willing to let them go at that low a price so that he/she may sell them sooner, MAY indicate how desperate he/she is wanting to rid him/herself of running on these Ovations.

Look, bigger wheels in general look better, no contest. And who would check out the tyres on people's cars anyway (actually, I do, but I am weird like that!)? There will also be times when we really, really cannot afford quality tyres, and I would not hesitate to say that I did that once, and I even said to myself that all I had to do, is to drive within the limits of the cheaper (not even cheap!) tyres that I had. But the next time you are heading downhill in pouring rain, and someone cut in in front of you so that he/she can turn into the next side street 10 metres away, would you rather that you are running on, for example:
    A) 16 inch used alloys @ say $200, with new quality tyres @ say $180 each i.e. $920, OR
    B) VXR used alloys @ $300, with a set of Ovation tyres @ $300 i.e. $600 that would look WAY better, but with potentially greater stopping distance of a FEW car lengths?

Obviously, the best option for anyone in your situation with the used VXR rims available at that price, would be C) VXR alloys with new quality tyres, because you get both form AND function. But that could cost a good $800 more than even option A). Having said that, even if option C) is say $1,000 more than option B), is a single injury/life (if not multiple injuries/lives) worth more than 3.3 cents every km (assuming tyre life of only 30,000km)?

Of course, there are still other options for you. For instance, you can always buy the rims now, and not fit them until you can afford quality tyres in that new size. Or you can take advantage of the special deals every now and then eg. Bob Jane currently offering no deposit, no interest, no repayments until 2013 (but do read the fineprint!). At the end of the day, it is your car, your wheels, your tyres, your call. And of course, you want your car to look good and stand out etc. But I just want to offer you my 2.2 cents to help you make a more informed decision, that's all!

[As for me, I am just thankful that I have managed to get a set of 205/45R17 RE002's fitted at only $875 for the set including wheel alignment. This may still sound expensive, but I see it as cheap insurance for the next few years.]

Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather more people out there get offended, than potentially getting injured!

The tyres on my current wheels are quite good (potenza on the rear, azenis on the front), so I would probably just use these. Or I was thinking of just buying the wheels ($700) with the tyres ($300) and using the cheapies on the rear only.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have used the RT-615 Azenis on my Astra. They are a good high performance tyre for sure, but wrong load rating in the 225/40/18 of 92W
    Last edited by gman; 4th October 2011 at 05:56 PM.
    Epsilon Renntech
    EMTRON ECU

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    Pirelli P-Zero's and Yokohama AVS 103's are the top picks for 225/40/18 93Y ..

There's the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
    Got any aussie links for the 93Y's, couldn't find any.

Adz, yeah I can get the ones that are currently on it as they are correct, but was hoping for some choice lol.
    Last edited by Nurb608; 4th October 2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yokohama only lists a 91Y but apparently they have a 93Y available (its on a stock sheet apparently)...

Can believe the AD08 is an 88W in the 225/40/18!!!! My 225/45/17's are a 91W...

Its looking more and more like what you have, Pirelli or the Hankook's if you can't find a Yokohama in the right load rating
    Last edited by gman; 4th October 2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Epsilon Renntech
    EMTRON ECU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nick_sixx Click here to enlarge
    The tyres on my current wheels are quite good (potenza on the rear, azenis on the front), so I would probably just use these. Or I was thinking of just buying the wheels ($700) with the tyres ($300) and using the cheapies on the rear only.
    nick_sixx: Now that we know of your current set up, I can assure you that the Ovation will be a huge step off in performance.

And as for using cheapies at the rear, have a look at this:
    http://theautoprophet.blogspot.com/2...s-on-rear.html
    or Google "best tyres rear" and see what you get...!
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

OpelAus Enthusiast lonewolf1983's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you cant afford to put decent tyres on new rims, you shouldnt be buying new rims!
    Personally i'd love to go to 18's for looks and for brake room, but the unavailability of decent r-comp rubber in the sizes for the astra means i'll likely stay at 17's!

Thread Information