Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's talk about TFSI engines in a few years, when you could find a few reaching 100,000 km+. I'm really concerned about how complex they are, with both turbo and super chargers. I mean, if that technology is so good, why is only VW promoting it?

The greens have done a good job shaving off some of the LCT. True, only a few expensive models benefit of this tax reduction, but any cut is welcome, especially when we end up with advanced engines such as BMW's 3.0 twin TD here down under. I wasn't aware there's a Yaris model that gets LCT Click here to enlarge

At the end of the day guys, no car makes sense. We should buy the cheapest, lightest and most economical car that can serve our needs. Diesel or petrol is really irrelevant.

USC was saying that 95% of the cars in India are Diesel. I wonder how can they afford the "exorbitant" maintenance costs so often associated with oilers?! Lat time I checked, India wasn't exactly what you'd call a rich country...
    Last edited by dieselhead; 2nd October 2008 at 11:21 AM.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    Let's talk about TFSI engines in a few years, when you could find a few reaching 100,000 km+. I'm really concerned about how complex they are, with both turbo and super chargers. I mean, if that technology is so good, why is only VW promoting it?

The greens have done a good job shaving off some of the LCT. True, only a few expensive models benefit of this tax reduction, but any cut is welcome, especially when we end up with advanced engines such as BMW's 3.0 twin TD here down under. I wasn't aware there's a Yaris model that gets LCT Click here to enlarge

At the end of the day guys, no car makes sense. We should buy the cheapest, lightest and most economical car that can serve our needs. Diesel or petrol is really irrelevant.

USC was saying that 95% of the cars in India are Diesel. I wonder how can they afford the "exorbitant" maintenance costs so often associated with oilers?! Lat time I checked, India wasn't exactly what you'd call a rich country...
    1. the twin charger is the top of the TSFI tree. There are other models with just a turbo. 1.2 and 1.4L versions. The new Golf will have both versions with economy around 6L/100km. Also, I think Opel/GM are moving this way with the new 1.4L turbo 4 cylinder.

2. What I was getting at with the LCT issue is that people buying a "prestige" car are getting a benefit due to economy (a reduced LCT rate). Yet the purchaser of a inexpensive economical car gets no tax benefit (stamp duty etc) over a gas guzzler.

3. USCs - 95% of cars in India are diesel is wrong Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say, I agree with the above also...especially the 2nd last paragraph - being car enthusiasts, we are in a way our own worst enemy when it comes to car choices/purchases, well said above Click here to enlarge

Oh and TFSI direct injected turbo engines are just fine in terms of longevity, the Golf GT's twin charger (turbo/supercharger) set up may very well present longevity problems, but we wont know for sure at the present day...

I don't think other manufacturers will or need to resort to similar, with the numbers they're getting from turbo direct injection alone...VW/Audi are down to 7.9ltrs/100km with their 200kw/350nm TFSI in a 1415kg vehicle with AWD - not bad at all, with better things to come Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this is what results when adding the 1.4TSFI engine with a hybrid drivetrain.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...sportback.html

..... Yet, the maker claims a highly impressive 92g/km CO2 figure, ....

That figure is better than the Prius and Polo Bluemotion. Yet it is reported to get to 100km/h in < 8seconds (in other articles)

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    because by the time you get to 100K km's and a few years of ownership - the car will be out of warranty and you'll just have to pay to get it fixed - won't be VW's problem, it will be yours.

Cars are becoming disposable anyway - I dunno about anywhere else - but here in Melbourne, you rarely see "old" cars much anymore (and by that I mean 10+ years) - most cars you see are at the most about 5-7 years old.

Perfect example is my Dad - he bought a VK Commo brand new in 85 - and kept it for about 14 years - since then he's had 2 Berlina's and a Calais in the space of about 5 years.

Me: Why do you change your car every 2 years now?
    Him: Why not?

*shrugs* - can't really argue with that can you....
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, let's then talk TFSI:
    1. anyone know how much is maintenance for it vs diesel
    2. hope we all know it sips PULP only so no savings on fuel there. same goes for the recent crop of 1.4-1.6 petrol turbos. i'm not aware of diesel costing 30c more per litre than PULP.
    3. fuel economy: despite what the manufacturer would declare, a petrol pushed hard or driven normally will use more juice than a diesel with the same indicated average per 100km. that's a fact, not marketing. since we agree fuel for TFSI is not cheaper than diesel, subject to power and driving style the diesel would save you some dough.
    4. the sound of the damn thing! is like they're made in a Chinese toy factory, buzzy and plasticky. i'd have a diesel rattle any day instead, thanks.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, let's then talk TFSI:
    1. anyone know how much is maintenance for it vs diesel
    2. hope we all know it sips PULP only so no savings on fuel there. same goes for the recent crop of 1.4-1.6 petrol turbos. i'm not aware of diesel costing 30c more per litre than PULP.
    3. fuel economy: despite what the manufacturer would declare, a petrol pushed hard or driven normally will use more juice than a diesel with the same indicated average per 100km. that's a fact, not marketing. since we agree fuel for TFSI is not cheaper than diesel, subject to power and driving style the diesel would save you some dough.
    4. the sound of the damn thing! is like they're made in a Chinese toy factory, buzzy and plasticky. i'd have a diesel rattle any day instead, thanks.
    1. Ring up a VW stealer and ask Click here to enlarge
    2. who said 30c/l?
    3. Manufacturer? The economy figures are those supplied to government standards around the world. Any car, irrespective of fuel type, will have much worse consumption is flogged. You could provide proof of this "fact" of yours Click here to enlarge
    4. They do? Sound like a petrol engined car to me. If the diesel rattle is what people wanted the manufacturers wouldn't try so damned hard to get rid of it :P

I tell you what... you diesel zealots are as bad as the global warming evangelists at times = hahahahaah

Its been proven in many articles and tests in AUSTRALIA that buying a diesel passenger car over the petrol equivalent makes no sense at current fuel price discrepancies and average kms driven. It doesn't even make sense for purchasers of medium sized 4wds!

If the tax breaks and subsidies diesel got in Europe and Asia were removed the development and rise of diesel car sales would dry up in an instant.

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. its a vw. therefore expensive
    But with the retail price of diesel costing up to 30 cents a litre more than petrol in recent months
    did you not even read the article YOU posted
    3. i can garauntee you, compare miss daisy/flog driving between my old turbo cali, and the cdti astra, and you'll notice a HUGE difference.
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've just looked at the RACV website's Fuel prices page

Currently in Melbourne
    Unleaded: 157.9 c/L
    Diesel: 159.9 c/L

Is that a mistake or have Diesel prices come down - TBH - I dont pay attention to diesel pricing when I fill up, but I thought it was significantly higher than petrol....
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    I've just looked at the RACV website's Fuel prices page

Currently in Melbourne
    Unleaded: 157.9 c/L
    Diesel: 159.9 c/L

Is that a mistake or have Diesel prices come down - TBH - I dont pay attention to diesel pricing when I fill up, but I thought it was significantly higher than petrol....
    yes they have. and there was a 2c difference in QLD this morning aswell Click here to enlarge

ULP 149.9
    Diesel 151.9
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

Thread Information