Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast

Thread: New MPS 3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ASTRAY Click here to enlarge
    they have a evo here in port, when i first looked at the vrx the evo was in the showroom, on my vrx test drive day the evo was sitting outside 2 cars away from the vrx.
    ive had very short thoughts about asking for a test of the evo, but having never driven a turbo before, i may fall in love... and big debt Click here to enlarge
    You should've gone for it and yes I'd say you would've fallen in love Click here to enlarge

Up close the difference between it and the lesser siblings is more obvious, not so much from a distance though...

Pity about the massive price difference and also the fact that with the Evo 10, you don't get the 10/5 year factory warranty, it's down to a regular 3 year deal only...still I'd love to have one Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Evo has 5/10 warranty.

However, I dare so not many would last the 5/10 years without undergoing mods that void the warranty.

No giving it the full warranty as the rest of the mitsu range would relay the message that the car was under engineered/over powered.

Evo MR, my choice if I need a 4 door car.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge

I'd be tempted by the cheaper new HSV Clubsport GXP for a 4 door car Click here to enlarge 317Kw for < 60K

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Dug, 1st line above is exactly what I've said in my post, ie. 1 - 2nd gear 'only' to hit 100km/h... Click here to enlarge

Here in Aust. the quickest tested time of the MPS3 to 100km/h I've seen is 6.5sec. most others have it at 6.6secs. Mazda claims 6.1sec but this has only been achieved by U.S reviewers as they run 0-60mph though not 0-62 as we do and this 'probably' accounts for the difference...over the 1/4 mile it's 14.5-14.6secs...

The Ralliart has achieved 6.1-6.2 tested time runs here to 100km/h and most commonly 14.2secs over the 1/4 mile...

There is another very recent review in one of the car mags, again the Ralliart pips all of the hot hatches (including the new MPS3) that it's put up against in straight line acceleration...

Can't comment on track times, as I don't have material in front of me on that side of things...

Also the most decent thing about it as I've mentioned is not the AWD, it's that beautiful SST trans !!! drive one and you'll see what I mean Click here to enlarge there's no way you'd match it's performance with the stick shift manual !

The power to weight ratio superiority of the MPS3 is clearly evident once rolling, especially in 3rd and 4th gears - I love the thing and as said it's still my favourite by a slight margin over the Ralliart, all things considered Click here to enlarge

Deep down though, I'd love to own a new Evo 10 (with SST trans) and mod it only slightly, that would make for one hell of a great all rounder, even as a daily driver Click here to enlarge
    Regarding the Ralliart lancer, did they bump the power up in the MY09 models because im sure that when the Ralliart came out they where claimed at 7.4seconds to 0-100km/h and used about 14.5ltrs/100km's. I remember reading it thinking what at stock TS SRi-T does that and its an 2003 model and uses less fuel.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    The Evo has 5/10 warranty.

However, I dare so not many would last the 5/10 years without undergoing mods that void the warranty.

No giving it the full warranty as the rest of the mitsu range would relay the message that the car was under engineered/over powered.

I checked it John, it has a 5 year warranty on mechanicals instead of the 10 year mechanicals warranty on all the other variants...still better than the 3 years I mistankingly though it had, certainly makes it more appealing...Click here to enlarge

IMO the reduced warranty is because Mitsu realise that the majority of these cars sold will be abused if not given a hard time most of the time and therefore reduce the mechanical lifespan/reliability of the type, so they're covering themselves...

Agree with you on the Evo 10 MR, perfect 4 door car to own and could be used everyday despite reports of suspension/ride being a little too harsh...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrissn89 Click here to enlarge
    Regarding the Ralliart lancer, did they bump the power up in the MY09 models because im sure that when the Ralliart came out they where claimed at 7.4seconds to 0-100km/h and used about 14.5ltrs/100km's. I remember reading it thinking what at stock TS SRi-T does that and its an 2003 model and uses less fuel.
    No, power is the same, ie. claimed power at 177kw / 343nm...

However, as we all know Japanese quoted power numbers on alot of their forced inducted cars are always lower than what they actually are, it could be that to justify the cost of the Evo 10, Mitsu have under quoted the Ralliart...

If you look at the straight line acceleration times of the Evo 10, the Ralliart almost matches it in some tests...ie. SST Ralliart vs SST Evo 10.

There's no way the Ralliart would be at 7.4secs anyway...this is because the far lesser powered VRX (2.4ltr N/A at 125kw / 225nm) is capable of 0-100km/h in 7.9secs (tested time not claimed in CVT auto trim) !

With the power and torque advantage of the Ralliart over the VRX + it has the SST and AWD the numbers sound right, despite the heavier weight of the Ralliart Click here to enlarge

I've driven one and my impressions of it was that it did seem to get to 100 clicks quicker than the MPS3 I drove...but remember with the MPS 3, you get to 100km/h in 2nd gear and it's power (torque) output is restricted to only 300nm rather than the full 380nm, the MPS 3 felt stronger from 3rd gear onwards though...

Also can't compare a TS turbo to a Ralliart in fuel usage - different weights, AWD, very rich factory stoich setting and more power output of the Ralliart will obviously result in a higher fuel burn number...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also checked the warranty

It's the same as the rest of the range.. 10 year power train, 5 year other.

http://www.lancerevolution.com.au/do...P_Brochure.pdf

Will test drive an Evo X when the Astra is going to be replaced

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    No, power is the same, ie. claimed power at 177kw / 343nm...

However, as we all know Japanese quoted power numbers on alot of their forced inducted cars are always lower than what they actually are, it could be that to justify the cost of the Evo 10, Mitsu have under quoted the Ralliart...

If you look at the straight line acceleration times of the Evo 10, the Ralliart almost matches it in some tests...ie. SST Ralliart vs SST Evo 10.

There's no way the Ralliart would be at 7.4secs anyway...this is because the far lesser powered VRX (2.4ltr N/A at 125kw / 225nm) is capable of 0-100km/h in 7.9secs (tested time not claimed in CVT auto trim) !

With the power and torque advantage of the Ralliart over the VRX + it has the SST and AWD the numbers sound right, despite the heavier weight of the Ralliart Click here to enlarge

I've driven one and my impressions of it was that it did seem to get to 100 clicks quicker than the MPS3 I drove...but remember with the MPS 3, you get to 100km/h in 2nd gear and it's power (torque) output is restricted to only 300nm rather than the full 380nm, the MPS 3 felt stronger from 3rd gear onwards though...

Also can't compare a TS turbo to a Ralliart in fuel usage - different weights, AWD, very rich factory stoich setting and more power output of the Ralliart will obviously result in a higher fuel burn number...
    Thanks for that Wraith, ive drive a ralliart lancer also, my old boss owns a sportsback with the SST box. My astra fells alot faster and more exciting to drive, but in saying that power delivery can be miss leading if its smooth. But i found with the SST box you loose alot of feeling/driving experience.

I remember reading the review in the RACQ road ahead were they quoted the 0-100km/h figure of 7.4seconds

The caradvice 0-100km/h is 7.1seconds, link is below.

Its more than likely that they've both just keyed in 7 instead of 6. As i have seen multiple 6.5,6.2seconds to 100km/h. Could it be the USA and AUS versions are different specs?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/21781/20...-sedan-review/

But i shouldnt be comparing a moded car to a stocker. A moded (re-map, intake, TBE) ralliart lancer would rip my astra a new whole.
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrissn89 Click here to enlarge

http://www.caradvice.com.au/21781/20...-sedan-review/

But i shouldnt be comparing a moded car to a stocker. A moded (re-map, intake, TBE) ralliart lancer would rip my astra a new whole.
    Did anyone read the review? How mediocre does the Ralliart sound? I think the 0-100 time sounds quite reasonable when you look at the engine stats (peak NM at nearly 5000rpm on a turbo car?!!?!) and at close to 1600kg the power to weight ration is not much better than a boggo Commodore V6

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    This review perhaps - it got 3 stars (wheels), but the reviewer rips into it pretty hard.
    As I said. You could tell the reviewer really would not want one. I'd go so far as to say hates it - despite giving it an average score.

I'd work harder and buy an Evo if it was me Click here to enlarge

Thread Information