Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update. Got myself a timing belt kit and put it in. Timing is all good, and it starts fine. The noise is still there though and is worse if anything. Got a bit paranoid and pulled the casing off and had a look at the tensioner. When i set it, i rotated it anticlockwise, and then rotated the engine twice clockwise and readjusted. Re-rotated the enginge again and it was still in position. When i looked at it again tonight after having driven it a bit, the pointer is off the scale to the right (well beyond the 'new belt' position) when the engine is off. Once i run the engine, the pointer moves back to the correct position. Is this right? Or should the pointer always be in the correct position?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, on the z20let I tensioned mine rotating the water pump and the little metal marker ended up at about 11 o'clock and then tightened it up from the tensioner afterwards. Can't say if it's meant to move when the engine is off though sorry, but what I know is the water pump metal knob thing that sits on the outer side is meant to be at around the 11 o'clock since the tensioner can only do so much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Simonzhan Click here to enlarge
    .......but what I know is the water pump metal knob thing that sits on the outer side is meant to be at around the 11 o'clock since the tensioner can only do so much
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. My pump went in pretty much as it should, with the lug lined up against the lug on the motor - about 11 o'clock as you say. I followed the correct procedure I think for the tensioner, and after much googling, have come to the conclusion that if its set on a cold engine, with the pullys at TDC, and if after 2 clockwise rotaion its still correct, then its done. Checking again on a hot engine etc does nothing more than introduce doubt!

Regarding the original engine noise, thats still there but now throughout the whole rev range, so I now think thats normal too. Annoyingly, once the motor gets hot I've got some bearing noise from somewhere (maybe alternator) but after 4 days of faffing about I'm so over it I don't care!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound wouldn't be balancer shaft related would it? I agree it's a common zlet NVH sound but mine doesn't have it and interestingly it has had balance shafts removed.... Though it has excessive harmonics at some higher rpm points

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    2013 Opel Astra Tourer - 2.0 Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bobec Click here to enlarge
    Sound wouldn't be balancer shaft related would it? I agree it's a common zlet NVH sound but mine doesn't have it and interestingly it has had balance shafts removed....
    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Could well be. A couple of mates have suggested the same thing, and casual viewing of youtube Astras does make it seem to be a normal Astra sound. I'm happy if it is, I'll just ignore it. Its there through the whole rev range now after the timing belt.

Took it into Holden regarding the bearing grinding after the new belt and they were adamant they couldn't hear it. Oh well. Just going to drive it now and not worry about it. Need some k's under the belt to start to like it again!

Thread Information