Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GoPro alternatives

Pretty much what the topic suggests. I am looking for an alternative action camera to a GoPro, simply because I don't believe that I'll use it enough to justify its Apple-esque price tag. So, does anyone know of any decent alternatives, apart from the Chinese shite you're bound to find on the Bay of Fleas?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Theres a few copies but they're all chinese made crap and will break before you even use them. Also filming quality is rubbish!
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at second hand go pros I still have a hero that's the first one they made it runs like a gem still
    Arden Blue VXR- EDS 335PS 480NM
    Now
    VW Golf R MK6 Stage 2+

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know haters gonna hate.... but the SJ4000 is a great camera which can be had brand new for $60

The best part is that 90% of the genuine (and fake) accessories for a real GoPro fit it (but note that the batteries aren't interchangeable because the polarity is swapped)!!!

The worst part about it would have to be that the 60FPS is actually 30FPS with frame duplication which I admit is dodgy... but the actual footage is very respectable for a $60 camera

OpelAus Participant StrickenAza34's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a car cam? Mobius Actioncam under $100, 1080p, all the good stuff. I have 2, 1 for each car. Have a look on YouTube, I myself have posted videos, Techmoan did a review of it, is great.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mickos Click here to enlarge
    Have a look at second hand go pros I still have a hero that's the first one they made it runs like a gem still
    Well, I might look into that. Had a look on Scumtree earlier and noticed all the second hand ones I can find are Hero3s and cost just as much as a Hero4.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by delemonte Click here to enlarge
    I know haters gonna hate.... but the SJ4000 is a great camera which can be had brand new for $60

The best part is that 90% of the genuine (and fake) accessories for a real GoPro fit it (but note that the batteries aren't interchangeable because the polarity is swapped)!!!

The worst part about it would have to be that the 60FPS is actually 30FPS with frame duplication which I admit is dodgy... but the actual footage is very respectable for a $60 camera
    It's a bit iffy, but it seems the SJCAMs get mixed reviews, but as you said, the fact most GoPro accessories will work with it is a bonus. At the end of the day, it'll be me spending money on an unknown brand here. Then again, at $60 you'd be right, it'd be hard to go wrong for the cash in what seems to be an overpriced market. Interesting to note, the SJCAM SJ5000 series are packing Panasonic chipsets too, so may be not as dodgy a quality as once thought.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StrickenAza34 Click here to enlarge
    For a car cam? Mobius Actioncam under $100, 1080p, all the good stuff. I have 2, 1 for each car. Have a look on YouTube, I myself have posted videos, Techmoan did a review of it, is great.
    Yes, but I'd be looking for something that seems a little more durable. Just looked a little flimsy for my liking.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If youre looking for a dash cam, look at the navman range, the gopros/action cameras arent designed to be used as a dedicated all day dash cam, we had several back that had basically caught on fire from being plugged into a charger all day and overheating.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, mainly looking for an occasional use cam for the Corsa. Although, I should actually get around to getting a dashcam for the van too.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just an update on this, I ended up going with a Contour ROAM 2 camera. Figured for $175, it's a fairly solid unit (waterproof to 1m out of the box, even more if you buy the case for it), records 1080p @ 30 fps, 720p @ 60 fps and is fairly easy to operate. From what I've seen with this is that the video look decent enough for this camera.

I'm waiting on a magnet to turn up, for which I can put a 1/4" screw in and fit the camera to it. Or I can stick the profile mount on to the magnet itself. The idea is, that I want the camera to record from the outside of the car when I get the Corsa on the road (with any luck, that should be in the next week or two), because I can.

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a Sony action cam before but the quality is junk compared to a GoPro, despite the nice demo video they show you in the display stand at the shop (which was probably shot with a GoPro! lol) Plus they're priced as much as a GoPro so my post about this is pretty pointless :P

Thread Information