Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dad picked up his new VE Calais last night - and went for a quick drive. All I can say is for about 45K - its a brilliant car. I was actually surprised how quick it actually was for a 6 - and when I got home I looked at the Wheels showroom guide, and they have it clocked at 7.4 for 0-100! That's definately quick enough for Dad (not for me- but still quite respectable)

Trip computer was showing average fuel of 11.3 L/100km and Dad hadn't even been on a Freeway yet - just city driving. My WRX averages that.

It feels a lot more solid than the VZ, and from what I could tell, would handle a lot better as well (took one corner a little too quick for the old man's liking - I guess you'd be protective when your car only has 67km on the Odo, and you hoon son is driving it like a WRX Click here to enlarge )

Had a look at other prices in teh showroom guide, the Calais is listed at $45490.
    Only Beemer at that price: 120i Steptronic
    Mercedes: A200 and B200

Yes, they are new prices, and I havent taken into account resale values (Dad leases his cars so couldn't give a toss if its only worth half in 3 years - makes it cheaper to buy) and buying it second hand etc etc - because that many variables could make us argue until the cows came home, but if I had 45K to spend on a new car, I know what I'd be buying. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    ...but if I had 45K to spend on a new car, I know what I'd be buying. Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, a Golf GTI Click here to enlarge
    Petrol is for the weak
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ahahahah...this reminds me of a quote
    "Don't you ever give up...."
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by digifish Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, a Golf GTI Click here to enlarge
    LOL - well yes (or the new WRX - they are growing on me) or (and a big or at that) - a Skoda Octavia RS (and thats only 37K list price) !
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dad picked up his new VE Calais last night - and went for a quick drive. All I can say is for about 45K - its a brilliant car. I was actually surprised how quick it actually was for a 6 - and when I got home I looked at the Wheels showroom guide, and they have it clocked at 7.4 for 0-100! That's definately quick enough for Dad (not for me- but still quite respectable)

Trip computer was showing average fuel of 11.3 L/100km and Dad hadn't even been on a Freeway yet - just city driving. My WRX averages that.

It feels a lot more solid than the VZ, and from what I could tell, would handle a lot better as well (took one corner a little too quick for the old man's liking - I guess you'd be protective when your car only has 67km on the Odo, and you hoon son is driving it like a WRX Click here to enlarge )

Had a look at other prices in teh showroom guide, the Calais is listed at $45490.
    Only Beemer at that price: 120i Steptronic
    Mercedes: A200 and B200

Yes, they are new prices, and I havent taken into account resale values (Dad leases his cars so couldn't give a toss if its only worth half in 3 years - makes it cheaper to buy) and buying it second hand etc etc - because that many variables could make us argue until the cows came home, but if I had 45K to spend on a new car, I know what I'd be buying. Click here to enlarge

nice..what colour did he get? first mod could be to get the GTS rear lightsClick here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    nice..what colour did he get? first mod could be to get the GTS rear lightsClick here to enlarge
    Can't do the GTS lights mate... Well you could but you'd have to try and get your hands on an HSV rear bar.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    silver - stays cleanest for longest especially with the water restrictions. The VZ was black so he wanted something with less maintenance Click here to enlarge (read Lazy)

I would have thought GTS lights would need new rear sheet metal as the lights are completely different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    silver - stays cleanest for longest especially with the water restrictions. The VZ was black so he wanted something with less maintenance Click here to enlarge (read Lazy)

I would have thought GTS lights would need new rear sheet metal as the lights are completely different?
    actually, I think you are right regarding rear lights. hsv is more clever now..Click here to enlarge .. The SS-V rear lights look amazing..better than the HSV I think... and they would fit the calais no probs.

yeh, silver looks good! I also like dark grey but not sure if they come in that colour.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    actually, I think you are right regarding rear lights. hsv is more clever now..Click here to enlarge .. The SS-V rear lights look amazing..better than the HSV I think... and they would fit the calais no probs.

yeh, silver looks good! I also like dark grey but not sure if they come in that colour.
    just looking at the website, theres a colour called Evoke (which looks like a charcoal (but on my monitor it almost looks brown!) - Dad got the "nickel"

only saw it at night, so dunno what it is like in the day - silver's a classic colour anyway so can't really go too wrong.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commodore resale values - well enough said. I never understood why they named their upper model 'Calais'. Calais is probably the dirtiest, seediest most crime-ridden city in France. Maybe GM is trying to tell us something.

My experience of Commodores in the late '90's is that you can't make an almost two tonne car handle as well as a smaller lighter car, and it takes more than one fast corner to show up the problem of making all that weight change direction. And when you drive it quickly - you feel it! My God they're heavy. And stopping all that weight, you feel that too!

The other problem I found with Commodores is that they are very wide (too wide?) for many of our rural roads, which means you only have one line through a curve, and this is very restrictive to quick motoring.

While the VE may be better in some ways than the VT I was familiar with, the basic problems of the physics of weight and the impracticality of excessive width won't go away - in fact it is probably worse given the new car is heavier (progress?).

Thread Information