Thread: 08 WRX STi

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blueraven Click here to enlarge
    anyone else think thats a bit....

i know how to dance, i used to be a pro footballer.....

sorry mate but i have put in some track time on racebikes too(rgv250, rs125 and yzf750 track bikes), and i dont think much carries over.
    I think a lot carries over, motorcycles taught me how to deal with on-the-limit behaviour, the warning signs that you're getting close to the limits of grip. 'Cause if you can't feel the limits, you're either going too slow or about to fall off. I always set my bikes up to oversteer on the limit, because I could feel that better.

Anyway, it was more to whoever it was who said 'my Mazda 3 can kick the arse of your Astra', and I won't comment on the tone of that! What does a Mazda 3 derive from anyway?

Brisbane QLD Drives:'07 Mazda 3 MPS Colour:Aurora Blue
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cbrmale Click here to enlarge
    I think a lot carries over, motorcycles taught me how to deal with on-the-limit behaviour, the warning signs that you're getting close to the limits of grip. 'Cause if you can't feel the limits, you're either going too slow or about to fall off. I always set my bikes up to oversteer on the limit, because I could feel that better.

Anyway, it was more to whoever it was who said 'my Mazda 3 can kick the arse of your Astra', and I won't comment on the tone of that! What does a Mazda 3 derive from anyway?
    Well with 190Kw and 380Nm compared to 110Kw and 220Nm...its rather obvious...I indeed would kick your arse.

The point was...my car has more power, better handling and set up for performance...and I think the STi has better handling still...so to think an SRi Astra is better is just silly...no matter who is driving it.

Also...I think the $7000 premium was well worth buying the Mazda 3 over the SRi...its in a totally different league.

I see your point with bikes tho...as we have a member with a MPS and a CBR.

Happy Motoring
    DUG74
    Wheels For Awareness
    Supporting The Australian Cancer Research Foundation

Click here to enlarge
    |

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dug74 Click here to enlarge
    Well with 190Kw and 380Nm compared to 110Kw and 220Nm...its rather obvious...I indeed would kick your arse.

The point was...my car has more power, better handling and set up for performance...and I think the STi has better handling still...so to think an SRi Astra is better is just silly...no matter who is driving it.

Also...I think the $7000 premium was well worth buying the Mazda 3 over the SRi...its in a totally different league.

I see your point with bikes tho...as we have a member with a MPS and a CBR.

Happy Motoring
    DUG74
    ... that'd be like putting a SRi 2.2 up against an SRiT... correct me if i'm wrong MPS has a turbo right? it would be a much fairer comparison against an SRiT i would have thought. I'm surprised anyone would try and compare their 2.2 to a car with a turbo and 80kw more stock... now personally i havent seen how the mps goes in real life but on paper, that SRi is set for a serious whiping
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    ... that'd be like putting a SRi 2.2 up against an SRiT... correct me if i'm wrong MPS has a turbo right? it would be a much fairer comparison against an SRiT i would have thought. I'm surprised anyone would try and compare their 2.2 to a car with a turbo and 80kw more stock... now personally i havent seen how the mps goes in real life but on paper, that SRi is set for a serious whiping
    It was quoted as being a 2.3L Mazda 3 (the same as I considered and rejected in favour of the Astra). Let me read the post again, yep it's a 2.3L Mazda 3 (Ford Focus platform with engine from the Mazda 6).

I would be stupid to compare my normally aspirated to a turbo, but against a normally aspirated 2.3L Mazda 3, there isn't much between the two. But to me, the Mazda isn't in the hunt because the 2.3L Mazda 3 with leather seats (not Recaro like the Astra) came out $7,000 more expensive and is too cramped for my needs. The turbo (MPS is quoted above) has to be more expensive again, so how much more? $13,700 more than the recommended retail of the SRi. I got $5,000 discount, so that's $18,700 premium, or two-thirds more again!

Dug74, what makes you think a normally aspriated 2.3L Mazda 3 is worth a $7000 price premium over a 2.2 SRi Astra? Do you honestly think it's that good (or an Astra is that bad)? And Dug74, why do you think a Mazda is a totally different league? Do you think I didn't test drive one? Do you think I haven't been on a long country drive as a passenger in one (and half-deafened by tyre noise all the way to Moss Vale and return)? As far as I was concerned, it was toss a coin. Steering / handling / braking, similar at worst (although the SRi has turbo brakes so it stops well). Performance almost identical (both do 0-100 in 8.5 for the manual and 8.9 for an auto). Fuel economy in the SRi's favour (the tricky variable high-pressure direct injection at work). Roominess: the SRi has more head room and a bigger boot. Comfort: the Recaro-sourced leather seats in the SRi are amazing. Noise: the biggest criticism I've read about the Mazda 3 is noise transmitted from the rear suspension.

The only things I could see that the Mazda was better in is the interior lay-out (storage spaces, an armrest and some cupholders) and probably more reliable (as Japanese cars tend to be).

Brisbane QLD Drives:'07 Mazda 3 MPS Colour:Aurora Blue
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cbrmale Click here to enlarge
    It was quoted as being a 2.3L Mazda 3 (the same as I considered and rejected in favour of the Astra). Let me read the post again, yep it's a 2.3L Mazda 3 (Ford Focus platform with engine from the Mazda 6).

I would be stupid to compare my normally aspirated to a turbo, but against a normally aspirated 2.3L Mazda 3, there isn't much between the two. But to me, the Mazda isn't in the hunt because the 2.3L Mazda 3 with leather seats (not Recaro like the Astra) came out $7,000 more expensive and is too cramped for my needs. The turbo (MPS is quoted above) has to be more expensive again, so how much more? $13,700 more than the recommended retail of the SRi. I got $5,000 discount, so that's $18,700 premium, or two-thirds more again!

Dug74, what makes you think a normally aspriated 2.3L Mazda 3 is worth a $7000 price premium over a 2.2 SRi Astra? Do you honestly think it's that good (or an Astra is that bad)? And Dug74, why do you think a Mazda is a totally different league? Do you think I didn't test drive one? Do you think I haven't been on a long country drive as a passenger in one (and half-deafened by tyre noise all the way to Moss Vale and return)? As far as I was concerned, it was toss a coin. Steering / handling / braking, similar at worst (although the SRi has turbo brakes so it stops well). Performance almost identical (both do 0-100 in 8.5 for the manual and 8.9 for an auto). Fuel economy in the SRi's favour (the tricky variable high-pressure direct injection at work). Roominess: the SRi has more head room and a bigger boot. Comfort: the Recaro-sourced leather seats in the SRi are amazing. Noise: the biggest criticism I've read about the Mazda 3 is noise transmitted from the rear suspension.

The only things I could see that the Mazda was better in is the interior lay-out (storage spaces, an armrest and some cupholders) and probably more reliable (as Japanese cars tend to be).
    Im lost...where do you get this $7000 and $18000

Astra SRi = $31000 ish +orc.. 2.2L engine 110Kw 220Nm <no recaros> but leather (runs on 95RON)

SP23 = $31690+orc.. 2.3L DISI engine 115Kw 203Nm <full leather> (runs on 91RON)

Astra SRiT = $34990+orc.. 2.0L Turbo engine 147Kw 262Nm <no recaros> but leather (runs on 95RON)

Astra VXR = $42990+orc.. 2.0L Turbo engine 177Kw 320Nm <recaros> (runs on 98RON)

MPS3 = $39990+orc 2.3L DISI Turbo engine 190Kw 380Nm <sports cloth trim> (runs on 98RON)

MPS3 Sports= $43690+orc 2.3L DISI Turbo engine 190Kw 380Nm <half leather> (runs on 98RON)

Thanks...its been good...you have a 1st class education..and a double major in Maths.

Happy Motoring
    DUG74

P.S. The whole point of the posts was to prove....that under no circumstances could a 2.2L SRi out power or handle a STi....or MPS for that matter.
    Wheels For Awareness
    Supporting The Australian Cancer Research Foundation

Click here to enlarge
    |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is hilarious.

We all love our cars. Hey for some they're our pride and joy. Let's be realistic though.

This started out with someone saying that an AH Astra had better handling than a WRX. Click here to enlarge I drive a VXR but still miss the handling of my MY98 Rexxie at times.

Then this started getting out of hand so its turned into an an AH Astra 2.2 is better than a Mazda SP23. FFS PEOPLES!!!! They're both different cars with each their pluses and minuses.

Love ur car but don't dis shit on others or make stupid outrageous comments about how good your car is (or isnt for some people)....

On another note - does a 2.2 SRI Astra have Recaro (or later referred to as 'Recaro sourced') seats???. I thought that only the VXR's have the Recaros, not even the SRI-T (I will stand corrected if im wrong)....

Now, I look up and the topic is 08 WRX STi - let's stick to it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha my missus excel could outhandle an STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mohawk Click here to enlarge
    hahaha my missus excel could outhandle an STi
    Bullshit, Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden Click here to enlarge
    Bullshit, Click here to enlarge
    no shit mat... im serious... well an STi without an engine or wheels anyway

but it would still outhandle it
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mohawk Click here to enlarge
    no shit mat... im serious... well an STi without an engine or wheels anyway

but it would still outhandle it
    hahaha does it have an STi bonnet scoop as well?
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Thread Information