1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just check the year that they were made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you sooty, gravy258, and Shadow110 for your suggestions re: 195/60R15 88V tyres for my friend.

Eventually bought her a set of second hand Michelin Energy XM2 with 80% tread, with one puncture (on the tread, so repairable), and the oldest tyre made on the 34th week of 2011, for $180, and thought I got her a good deal...

Booked her in to a Bridgestone franchise today for the puncture repair, fitting, and wheel alignment, and she was told just then that they do not fit second hand tyres because they don't do warranties on them, and apparently if something happens, then they will be at fault?

I have only ever gotten new tyres fitted, so I have never heard of that one before. What is your take on this?

And where should I (and she) go from here?
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just call around another place, I never had that issue before.

They are not secondhand.. 'they were taken off my other wheels I sold and now I want to use them again'.

I don't see what the issue is.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Currently I'm running a set of asymmetrical Sailun Atrezzo ZS 195/45R16s on the GSi. Cost me $120 each tyre including fitting and whilst probably not the best tyre I could spend money on, they are reasonably quiet and do have reasonable grip for the application. Beats the living daylights out of the crappy 14s I had on the car before. Only real gripe I have with them is the fact the tyre fitter put 36-38psi in them and it feels like it's tracking all over the place. When I get the car back from my parents place, I might drop it back to 32-34psi and see how that goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    Just call around another place, I never had that issue before.
    Thanks JohnBu for sharing and confirming. I guess those guys saw her bringing the car in, and probably thought they could just rip more money off her!

Tempe Tyres said they are happy to do the lot for $100. I reckon it can be done cheaper elsewhere (rang about 5 places so far), but I think both her and I are beyond caring by this point: we just want it done!

On a slightly different note: I see so many people running Austyre (whose tread appears to be a rip off from the Dunlop Sports Maxx) and Rotalla tyres these days. I wonder if any OpelAus member has tried these?
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having trouble deciding between Bridge RE002's and yoko C drives.
    The tyres I have on now are... ok... at best, (I've entered a round-about at 15km/ and brake harder to save entering the other lane) so I'm pretty keen for more grip.. not Overly fussed on tread wear, But I will be doing a 5k round trip soon, so don't want them stuffed by the time I get back.

So what's peoples thoughts on both, if you've driven both, how do they match up performance wise?

Alternatively, Best tyre for an Astra G, under $150

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE002 for sure.

The C Drive isn't a performance orientated tyre and has been around for a while. The S Drive is more of a RE002 competitor.

The RE002 are a good all round performance road tyre that has only been out for a year or so and also seems to wear well. Price wise, I think it's cheap for how good it is.

PS, I may be bias, but I haven't used Yokohama's for a long time. They previously had a reputation for notoriously soft tyre compound.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: The Tyre Thread

Go for the Re002!! I had them on the veccy in 19'' they are a great tyre. Never lost traction in the corners. Even through the hills in the wet.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another vote for RE002. Grip is fantastic all round.

I lose traction but thats only when im usually under full boost Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no boost here mate, pure N/A 'fury'.... although it didn't take long to find out I had traction control. Click here to enlarge
    any tyre's out there for around the $150 mark that are as good/ better than the RE002's? sounding like they're pretty well loved. Also just out of curiosity, what is the rough tread life on them, with some occasional 'ginger' moments included..

Thread Information