Ok so today I cleaned out the expansion tank with some dishwasher powdered concentrate. It did clean it somewhat but I had more success when I sprayed 1/3 of a can of degreaser into it and sloshed it around to lift the sludge sitting on the bottom. I then refitted the tank back into the car after rinsing it a couple of times. Refilled it with tap water up to the line and screwed on the cap. After going for a quick run around the block I popped the bonnet and found the tank to be contaminated with engine oil again.

From what Ive read on the net oil in the coolant can come from the oil cooler or a Front Cover Gasket - GM (24405911). With the oil cooler I can purchase the whole assy or the cooler itself and the gaskets/seals. Has anyone done a autopsy on the cooler to find out whats going on?

Is there some way of determining what is leaking or do I bite the bullet and do both the cooler and the front cover gasket? along with new cam belt kit etc. Cheers
Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!