Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Still, I remember the days when people thought 147kW from a 3.8L V6 were big numbers.

Hahahah - yep - you and I are the same vintage - I remember vividly when the VS came out with the new ECOTEC revisions on the motor and it had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge 147kw and we were all amazed that the V6 could put that power out.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    Hahahah - yep - you and I are the same vintage - I remember vividly when the VS came out with the new ECOTEC revisions on the motor and it had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge 147kw and we were all amazed that the V6 could put that power out.
    I think I was more amazed that Holden passed that turd off as an engine. Like every other Commodore with that boat anchor, once they became a few months old they started developing that horrible exhaust rattle that screams out "Retarded P-plater that can't drive for s**t".
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I was more amazed that Holden passed that turd off as an engine. Like every other Commodore with that boat anchor, once they became a few months old they started developing that horrible exhaust rattle that screams out "Retarded P-plater that can't drive for s**t".
    It was a shocker.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Still, I remember the days when people thought 147kW from a 3.8L V6 were big numbers. Now, it's coming factory from a 1.6 turbo. I remember driving a current model C200 Merc (with 1.8 direct injected, turbo and 140kW) not too long ago and you would've thought there was a small V6 under the hood by the way it could take off.
    same time Nissan and toyota were doing straight 6s with 206kw from factory :P or nissan with 164kw from a 2ltr 4cyl. And they wondered why they always lost bathurst proir to this :P
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above is interesting especially considering alot of the engine components - turbos, pistons, cranks and even complete gear boxes etc. etc. are manufactured by Japanese companies and supplied to Euro and other car makers...

I'm sure that when and if they decide to follow alternative vehicle trends (mechanically speaking) they'll have no problems at all...

The new range of Skyactiv diesels will 'probably' set a trend that will be followed by others instead...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sooty Click here to enlarge
    As I mentioned in the other thread the new Subaru legacy gt has a 225kw, 400nm 2.0L direct injected turbo.
    Would hardly say that's behind in engine performance lol
    and exactly how many Liberties etc will be fitted with it? < 10%?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    ...I don't think it matters. They have them
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    "well rory and adz held me down, nuggz grabbed the vaccuum cleaner, while guy was taping it all.

pj was taking photos but they wont be seen for 12mths and steve was in the corner playing with himself"

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Probably a higher percentage than astra's with their 2.0t, what's your point?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It seems that way for the Europeans... the Japanese on the other hand seem to be stuck sometime in the last century with regards engine tech. Revvy torque-less small 4 cylinders. If you want class leading economy then you have to put up with stodgey throttle response and ho-hum performance (Mazda Skyactiv and Subaru's new Impreza).
    in the same aspect i bet those mazda engine last next to forever while the euro ones are riddled with problems
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmonkey Click here to enlarge
    same time Nissan and toyota were doing straight 6s with 206kw from factory :P or nissan with 164kw from a 2ltr 4cyl. And they wondered why they always lost bathurst proir to this :P
    You compare a turbo sports car engine to a family car engine? the ol' 3.8L ecotec did the job required and had quite good fuel economy figures overall. It was this same engine that GM turbocharged in the early/mid 1980s to produce the Buick Grand National (GNX)
    Power 276 bhp / 206 KW @ 4400 rpm
    Torque 488 Nm / 360 ft lbs @ 3000 rpm

GM/Lotus slotted a twin turbo 3.6L straight six in the Carlton for 280kW+ in the early 1990s. It was GM that brought turbocharging to the public in the 1960s Click here to enlarge

Don't underestimate GM

Thread Information