Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, that's exactly why 4th and 5th are used to test 80-120 km/h, not 2nd, 3rd or 7th. I real life you won't swap a cog down just because you find enough space to sneak in front of the rusty Excel.
    The test is an indication of the power train's elasticity, not of absolute speed when you'd use the best gear available to you, and the one with more torques wins. Looking on bmw.de we see that in 4th 330d is half a second faster in this test than 335i.

See, that's why I like performance diesels so much, they really work in real life. How many 0-100 km/h you do in a day, on you commute on evading the city on weekends? Not many, if any myself Click here to enlarge 80-100 km/h (and just a tiny bit beyond) on the other hand, heaps. I've got a bad habit of constantly hunting for the gap, habit that took with me from Europe. The oiler's torque allows me to drive the way I like it, without trying hard and quietly, too.
    Damn, those 123d beamers are too expensive though...
    Last edited by dieselhead; 13th November 2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree completely. Torque-y motors are great for the daily drive. One reason why I like euro turbo cars Click here to enlarge.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    Agree completely. Torque-y motors are great for the daily drive. One reason why I like euro turbo cars Click here to enlarge.
    Exactly... the point missed by diesel fanatics Click here to enlarge

Compare a turbo diesel car with a turbo petrol model. Then the only real advantage is fuel consumption. And if I am not mistaken BMW turbo petrol cars can quite happily run on cats piss 91RON.

Currently my turbo Polo has 300+ Nm. And that's an old tech engine. And it comes on strong below 2000rpm.

I do agree that diesels make heaps of sense in large cars and SUVs.

Once petrol turbo cars do away with throttles (BMW, Fiat Multi-air) then fuel consumption will string dramatically. Then the benefit of diesel will be it has 17% more energy per litre than petrol.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    Once petrol turbo cars do away with throttles (BMW, Fiat Multi-air) then fuel consumption will string dramatically. Then the benefit of diesel will be it has 17% more energy per litre than petrol.
    Just reading about Multi-Air now. From the name I assumed it was a multi-track intake system or some such rubbish... it's actually amazing. Sounds like it'll give an engine the top end power of VTEC, along with the fuel efficiency of a diesel. That + direct injection... why would we want any other kind of engine?

(Does the last sentence make this post vaguely on topic?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    In fact, torque converters don't like diesels. Too much, you know, torque Click here to enlarge I don't know what the deal is with the Cruze manual vs auto diesels, but Astra H had different engines, with different number of valves and performance.

I also don't know what real world fuel burn you're talking about guys. If my Astra is something to look at, you can flog them as much as you like and economy will still be brilliant when compared to a similar performance petrol engine. Much more so with the twin turbo diesel engines. Already when it comes to 4X4, the diesel has no competition. Sure, engine sound and revvs are a matter of taste, but the performance figures are facts. If I had the money I'd get a 330d right now, or even better, a 335d that will one day get here. Would anyone say that's not a fast car?!

I totally agree that a 335i is more of a driver's car than the 335d. On a race track, petrol beats diesel, but not by a huge margin. In the real life that you're talking about though, the oiler will leave the petrol behind. Even if it is for the simple fact that you stop at the bowser more often when driving the 335i Click here to enlarge
    "Real World' consumption numbers as in what they actually consume as opposed to the manufacturers 'claim' this is the case for petrol engines too Click here to enlarge

Same goes with performance figures, they rarely match the claimed figures...

From what I've read on reviews of the 123d if you flog it (and why wouldn't you) you can expect much higher fuel burn than the factory claim...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly... the point missed by diesel fanatics Click here to enlarge

Compare a turbo diesel car with a turbo petrol model. Then the only real advantage is fuel consumption. And if I am not mistaken BMW turbo petrol cars can quite happily run on cats piss 91RON.

Currently my turbo Polo has 300+ Nm. And that's an old tech engine. And it comes on strong below 2000rpm.

I do agree that diesels make heaps of sense in large cars and SUVs.

Interesting last paragraph there rj...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    From what I've read on reviews of the 123d if you flog it (and why wouldn't you) you can expect much higher fuel burn than the factory claim...
    Isn't that just common sense?
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    Well, that's exactly why 4th and 5th are used to test 80-120 km/h, not 2nd, 3rd or 7th. I real life you won't swap a cog down just because you find enough space to sneak in front of the rusty Excel.
    The test is an indication of the power train's elasticity, not of absolute speed when you'd use the best gear available to you, and the one with more torques wins. Looking on bmw.de we see that in 4th 330d is half a second faster in this test than 335i.

See, that's why I like performance diesels so much, they really work in real life. How many 0-100 km/h you do in a day, on you commute on evading the city on weekends? Not many, if any myself Click here to enlarge 80-100 km/h (and just a tiny bit beyond) on the other hand, heaps. I've got a bad habit of constantly hunting for the gap, habit that took with me from Europe. The oiler's torque allows me to drive the way I like it, without trying hard and quietly, too.
    Damn, those 123d beamers are too expensive though...
    Good call on 'real life' conditions...IMO the 80-120km/h or 80-100km/h are really not one bit as common as accelerating from a standing start or from any lower speeds to 50km/h, 60km/h or 80km/h in everyday driving conditions...

Those are the main posted speed limits on most roads and your always taking off from standstills whether it be traffic lights or traffic congestion or from low rolling speeds...

Accelerating from 80km/h up would only happen on freeways or if your speeding over the limit on normal roadways !

Given the above circumstances, the petrol powered vehicles will be better in terms of acceleration not the diesels...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden Click here to enlarge
    Isn't that just common sense?
    Yes - totally agree, was commenting/adding to rj's comments in earlier posts, where some people seem to think these diesels will still achieve efficiency or fuel burn numbers similar to current diesels which is not the case...
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it's the 2.2ltr donk powered variant as supplied to Europe and other parts the World from the Mazda 6 and not the previous 2.0ltr diesel donk, even though it's 'detuned' I'm sure it can be re-mapped or piggy back boxed back up to the same or more output that it has in the Mazda 6, that should provide respectable performance Click here to enlarge

Now hopefully it is a definite and Mazda Aust. do bring it in...

Would be nice if you could also get it in SP25 trim level...
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information