Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There area hundred things you can use.

Prep-sol is a spray painters preparation solvent used to remove wax and grease from painted surfaces before either painting or buffing or to remove excess build up of adhesive/wax/painters coat etc from clearcoated surfaces. If my panel beater uses it, its good enough for me.

There are lots of different ways to clean paint, some are harsher than others. Just becareful no matter what you use.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just don't use paint stripper Click here to enlarge
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sandpaper perhaps? then again perhaps not... Click here to enlarge
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to bunnings a bottle of De Solve IT glue and sticker remover. its natural so wont screw your paint.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by axe246 Click here to enlarge
    Go to bunnings a bottle of De Solve IT glue and sticker remover. its natural so wont screw your paint.
    That stuff sorta works...but you have to let it soak in A LOT. I use it almost every day i work to get the stickers off the furniture and patio heaters etc at work. There are probably better things out there...no detriment to the above comment of course..just letting you know my personal experience with it Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a hair dryer and a plastic cap from a 5 1/4 computer drive bay cover!

I removed a dutch international car sticker that had really faded like buggery. Once heated up the sticker itself came off very easily. Unfortunately the lettering was almost steel in that there was some sort of aluminium-like thin layer behind the N and L lettering. This seems to have caused a very-noticeable-up-close but not-noticeable-from-a-distance 'shadow'.

To remove the oval-shaped excess decrepit glue mark I did indeed use very small amounts of Eucalyptus Oil branded none other than "Eureka!" of course. The bottle says it's a 20% solution and water soluble so I guess I just got lucky because I tried it before even joining this forum, let alone seeing this thread.

I guess if I really want to get the 'shadow' off, I could cut and polish it, but I'm not sure I care enough to risk a bigger-looking 'bald spot'.

At this point I would like to give a huge swift slap to any and all morons who are stupid enough to put stickers on duco. Really, what the flying truck are they thinking?
    Last edited by pd-xc-72464118; 19th February 2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: grammar

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.rcr.com.au/proval/catalogue.php?subid=8

Completely removed vinyl's that covered our 12yr-old sun baked work ute pretty easily.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the sticker is removed - by whatever means, what's wrong with just using some simple wax n polish to remove the adhesive or any other left over residue ?? it will do the task and is absolutely no risk of adverse effects, why would one have to go to the trouble and expense of acquiring solvents or other products mentioned which will then sit around and 'probably' not be ever used again...at least with the wax n polish, most people already have this and can use it all the time !

Also for any work of this kind, use a cotton terry cloth, much better than even microfibre and everyone has cotton terry cloths already in their homes Click here to enlarge ...just my 2 cents Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Once the sticker is removed - by whatever means, what's wrong with just using some simple wax n polish to remove the adhesive or any other left over residue ?? it will do the task and is absolutely no risk of adverse effects, why would one have to go to the trouble and expense of acquiring solvents or other products mentioned which will then sit around and 'probably' not be ever used again...at least with the wax n polish, most people already have this and can use it all the time !

Also for any work of this kind, use a cotton terry cloth, much better than even microfibre and everyone has cotton terry cloths already in their homes Click here to enlarge ...just my 2 cents Click here to enlarge
    True but wax and polish could also remove layers of paint. Solvent will only dissolve the glue, then followed by a wax n polish to polish the whole surface. but each to their own.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I just spent a spare hour or so picking at mine then some bug and tar remover I already had followed by a quick wax.

I would say just use what you have and take your time.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Thread Information