Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were going to go ahead with it (i'm not saying to do it or not to do it) don't poke out the internals... rather just get a straight pipe put through the middle of the cat.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed.............
    sigs are stupid Click here to enlarge

My car goes broom, all 91kw of it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EL BURITO Click here to enlarge
    I have a hi flow sports cat. and it is a little loud. and it is leagal. dosent work till heated up thoe u deff dont have the car running in the garage.
    thats the nature of cat convertors... they have to be hot to work...

this is why on many californian car models they have a precat, which sits where a turbo would... this is to enable faster heat up, but this also means you have to have short runners... boo to that!!

on australian cars this requirement isn't there, and emissions are tested at idle on warm engines NOT cold!
    TR Astra F, Mk3 1.8 16v Saloon

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes exhaust hollow and sound like poo
    C20LET

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pay 2 get a proper exhaust. sounds better. dosnt stink. and theres aint no law 2 screw u over.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt want to do it my self, i already have a system, I was seeing if theres any gains to be had by the removal of this device, it seems there would be, but without the proper map its useless. But flames are cool Click here to enlarge
    sigs are stupid Click here to enlarge

My car goes broom, all 91kw of it !

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been told that a cheaper option to fitting a sports cat to a small capacity car is to fir a cat-converter of a v8 car or the like??? Anyone got any idea as to if this is true?Click here to enlarge

Having removed the pre-catalytic converter from my car I have found it to make a big difference, added response and quicker spool.
    Megane RS 250 Trophee
    Megane RS F1.R

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by platypus Click here to enlarge
    thats the nature of cat convertors... they have to be hot to work...

this is why on many californian car models they have a precat, which sits where a turbo would... this is to enable faster heat up, but this also means you have to have short runners... boo to that!!

on australian cars this requirement isn't there, and emissions are tested at idle on warm engines NOT cold!

not necessarily true. In Vic, at least, it has to be able to pass same emissions that it did from the factory. that means, if it has a cold cat (mounted as far upstream as possible) and passed cold emissions, it has to be able to do the same if tested later on.

It's also important to note, that some one else mentioned seeing an exhasut shop and "doing it properly". There are varying degrees of "doing it properly". The correct one would be able to have epa certification that it passes emissions on that day. the best would be ADR certification, as teh EPA certification only stipulates that it passed the test ON THAT DAY.

Exhaust systems with ADR certification are few and far between. i dont know of any exhaust shops that would make a custom system and then certify it. Off the shelf top notch systems would be the way to go, if you would want to remain 100% legal, and 100% insurable.... that's a lot of hassle.. and a lot of money. I can see why heaps of people want to keep the "stock" apperance, and bash out the cat... it has been done many times, and is OK short term, but consequences in the very long run (from rich running).

Might be easier to leave it stock cat forward, and cosider cat back options... may not be worth those few extra kw's (if indeed you're fortunate enough to move forwards!)

Some words from experience.. On one of my cars, I had a $700 s.steel Muffler on loan for testing. The car was catless at the time and was doing dyno testing. The expensive muffler gave a 1Kw gain over the stock unit. This meant 184Kw at the wheels as opposed to 183Kw at the time. the tests were done back to back as it was only 2 bolts for the muffler in question to be removed. is that 1/2 a percent gain worth $700? the sound and feel may have been, but the performance gain alone??? Nope. $700 of Octane booster would go a long way....(also can foul plugs with prolonged use). needless to say, the muffler went back and the car retained its stock look.
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by entice Click here to enlarge
    Some words from experience.. On one of my cars, I had a $700 s.steel Muffler on loan for testing. The car was catless at the time and was doing dyno testing. The expensive muffler gave a 1Kw gain over the stock unit. This meant 184Kw at the wheels as opposed to 183Kw at the time. the tests were done back to back as it was only 2 bolts for the muffler in question to be removed. is that 1/2 a percent gain worth $700? the sound and feel may have been, but the performance gain alone??? Nope. $700 of Octane booster would go a long way....(also can foul plugs with prolonged use). needless to say, the muffler went back and the car retained its stock look.
    whereas i found a 7 kw gain, from headers to the muffler with a properly designed system.. cost 700 in mild steel... would i do it again? probably not too soon... might add that was with hi-flow cat, 4-1 headers 2.5inch crush pipe, to lukey sports exhaust... on a 1.6l mazda
    TR Astra F, Mk3 1.8 16v Saloon

OpelAus Forum Addict Red AH SRI T's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm all for bashing of cats, especially those feral bastards that make a mess of your garden.

Flamin cats!

Thread Information