Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutton Rally. (NSW) VXR Results.

Just been looking on the HSV site to find the VXR ran in the NSW Dutton Rally.

This should lay some arguments to rest i believe. Esp the one about Understeer. The car was in Stock Form with no changes made.

1st The HSV Article. You may need to go to news. if it dont work i will copy and paste it over.

http://www.hsv.com.au/index_eseries.asp

2nd the Dutton Events of the NSW Rally for 2007.

http://www.duttonrally.com/res-07nsw.php

3rd results of the event 26. Wet Skid Pan.

http://www.duttonrally.com/results/2...t26_Driver.pdf
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Last edited by Shaun; 4th June 2007 at 05:47 PM.
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue
    My Other toy is a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HSV Article. Sourced from www.hsv.com.au

HSV VXR UPSETS THE SUPERCARS WITH A WIN AT DUTTON RALLY

May 31, 2007

The HSV VXR has claimed a win on its motorsport debut at the NSW Dutton Rally held last weekend. The four-cylinder front-wheel drive HSV beat 160 other cars, including all-wheel drive rally cars, expensive European exotics and 450kW ‘supercars’ to claim an outright stage win, and finished fourth outright in the team handicap.

The Dutton Rally was held over three days in Queanbeyan, Goulburn and Sydney, with the $42,990 VXR competing in factory standard trim against modified road, rally and supercars, some up to 10 times the VXR’s price.

With 177kW from its turbocharged 2.0-litre 16v ECOTEC-4 engine, the VXR managed a 14.4 second quarter-mile time, lapped Wakefield Park in 1m:14.0, and Eastern Creek Raceway in 1m:55.7, where it reached over 200km/h down the main straight.

With two alternating drivers per entry, the pairing of Sydney motoring journalists Samantha Stevens and Dean Evans was impressively the highest finishing front-wheel drive team, the highest finishing HSV and the highest finishing car on street tyres.

But the weekend’s highlight for the HSV VXR was stage 26, a wet skidpan held at the Sutton Road driver training complex in Canberra. Evans managed a time that beat every car in the field - almost half of which were all-wheel drive. Testimony to the VXR’s ability in the dry or wet, the front-wheel drive HSV claimed not only the 1st place trophy; Stevens also placed 8th outright from the 161 cars on the same stage.

Evans explained his strategy: “The VXR’s torque in second gear really helped. We were on road tyres, but so were about 20 others. There was a drying line around the outside, but I chose a shorter path and used the tyres and torque to our advantage. Even with the ESP deactivated, the power was easy to control.”

Stevens was equally impressed: “I just tried to be smooth and careful. I think it showed that this much power can be fast even in the wet if you drive it properly.”

Though most of the field ran on competition-derived R-compound semi-slicks, the VXR ran Yokohama Advan Sport road tyres on the factory HSV 19-inch alloys.

Around the racetracks, the VXR was equally at home. “I saw about 203km/h at the Creek,” recalled Evans. “The stiff chassis, predictable handling and great brakes made the VXR easy to drive fast and considering it’s completely standard, I think it performed remarkably well.”
    Over 36 stages from hill-climbs to airport dashes, motorkhanas and circuit sprints, the HSV VXR performed flawlessly to compete with and even beat some of the world’s fastest cars from Porsche, Nissan, Subaru and Mitsubishi.

Don’t delay – test drive a HSV VXR today and you too can experience the thrills of the hatch that has taken Europe by storm. Samantha and Dean will be back driving the blue ‘pocket rocket’ for the WA leg of the Dutton Rally in July. Stay tuned for further updates…
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    great result for the VXR!!
    should put a few ppl back in there place
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly why i posted it up..
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even better is that it was driven by just a guy and a girl motor journo's Click here to enlarge

(bet there were ALOT of evo/sti drivers wondering what the hell happened Click here to enlarge )
    Subaru MY08 STi - Alpine white :whistle:
    Hammond to Clarkson: "if the STi is faster your gonna look like such a knob!"

209kw at all 4.

OpelAus Forum Regular Charlatan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you've posted up an article from the HSV marketing department and that is supposed to prove what? How does this lay the torque steer arguement to rest? You guys have been banging on about Clarkson and Motor/Wheels journo's bagging it for this, then saying it is just their opinion. How is Dean's opinion any different?

What other cars were in its class at Dutton? I dont remember seeing an XR5T or a 225 Cup at the Sunday event, so what exactly has been proven? I dont even remember seeing a Gti there, but I could well be wrong on that.

Great result on the skidpan nonetheless.
    welcome to riceworld

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Charlatan Click here to enlarge
    So, you've posted up an article from the HSV marketing department and that is supposed to prove what? How does this lay the torque steer arguement to rest? You guys have been banging on about Clarkson and Motor/Wheels journo's bagging it for this, then saying it is just their opinion. How is Dean's opinion any different?

What other cars were in its class at Dutton? I dont remember seeing an XR5T or a 225 Cup at the Sunday event, so what exactly has been proven? I dont even remember seeing a Gti there, but I could well be wrong on that.

Here's choppers advice regarding the Torque Steer.

Toughen the **** Up.
    Stop ****en Whining and hold on to the ****en steering wheel
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as a driver of a VXR i am not suprised. Hopefully we see a more nuetral article on the event. But they are right about the torque in second, amazing.....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Charlatan Click here to enlarge

Not a matter of an Opinon. The times from event 26 is an actually fact. Times are not an Opinon they are a fact. How could a car that possibly is ment to " understeer like a shopping trolley" actually beat AWD cars on a wet skid pan if its ment to understeer. Thats the point im making. Facts are truth here . not of an Opinon.

The car was up against many different brands. Dutton rally consist of cars ranging form $30,000 to $300,000 motor vehicles.
    Last edited by Shaun; 4th June 2007 at 10:08 PM.
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    roflmfao @ ashley
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information