Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake upgrades

Had a look at my brakes today. The pads are starting to wear thin. :shock: Only after 18000k's aswell....

Im pretty new when it comes to brakes, so i need some advice. I have a few Q's.

1. What kind of brands should i be looking at for aftermarket pads?
    Obviously, stopping power is important, and low noise and dust would be great.

2. Going through the posts, it seems that EBC and Race Brakes are popular. Any others? which pads are good?

3. Should i go all out and do a full rotor/pads upgrade? How much would i be looking at paying? pads and rotors?

Any info would be great! :wink:
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford it...replace the rotors as well. BUT...if its a "NEED TO DO IT ASAP" job. Just go the pads.

My personal experience -
    I found my new set up very nice - EBC Greenstuff pads are nice. Although some have raised their concerns about the dust that it does leave on your wheels. I havent experienced this as yet.

If its all your brakes that need replacing and your wanting to go the race/street type brakes (Slotted/drilled) - my advice is to stick with solid rear rotors and maybe a better rear pad. As for the front - personal choice - but i have found that with the current EBC Turbo Groove rotors and G/Stuff pads work VERY well together.
    I bought all my stuff from Autospeed - and then got them fitted from the brake place down the road. All up cost me around 1k for all supplied and fitted - (Holden was going to charge me just for the standard rear pads supplied & fitted - $250!!)
    Nick

MY03 - Astra SRi - Black...Sleek...

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got DBA rotors and Bendix Ultimates fitted on all fours yesterday.

They need to be worn in, but the mechanic told me that they'll perform great.

It cost me $1000 supplied and fitted. This included him fixing the clunking and grinding noise from the back brakes. I also gave him some silver paint for the calipers, and they look brand spankers. :wink:

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big brakes are great. But remember your tyres. Huge brakes with no rubber on the road is kinda defeating the purpose. Click here to enlargeops:

It still amazes me how much bite the brakes have in my car. It pulls up for me almost too hard if I stand on the pedal. But at least I know that it will stop if I ever need it to. :P

Only real problem I have is trying not to slide off the seat and end up under the dash...!!! :shock:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1000 is a alot. :shock: I'll wait for my rotors to wear out then.

I think i'll just get some new pads. So greenstuff is the s#$@ ? I'll check them out...

Anyone know anything about Race Brakes? are they good?
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turblue
    Only real problem I have is trying not to slide off the seat and end up under the dash...!!! :shock:
    Do we now have to organise a group buy on 6 point racing harnesses.
    Nick

MY03 - Astra SRi - Black...Sleek...

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Melbourne. Stabbed in the back, but not dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Brake upgrades

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by anicorsa
    Had a look at my brakes today. The pads are starting to wear thin. :shock: Only after 18000k's aswell....
    not being a smat@rse (which i'm surprised Samvac hasen't beaten me to it) but, you could try braking a little earlier.

that amount of k's is extreme!!
    Victorian Events Co-Ordinator... or anti-social behavioral disorder therapist
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Frankie9fingers
    not being a smat@rse (which i'm surprised Samvac hasen't beaten me to it) but, you could try braking a little earlier.

Click here to enlarge Thats the funniest thing about it, i dont brake that hard. Well, some times i do. :P

I reckon i'll get another 3-4 months out of them, so its not that bad. I'll be surprised if i make it another 5 months.
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know anything about Race Brakes? are they good?
    race brakes are good if they are warmed up ... also i believe they produce much less brake dust

heard RB74 are quite good ... dunno they price though
    Phase 1 - Bodykit, Alloys and Lowered --- COMPLETED ---
    Phase 2 - Colour-Coding, Exhuast ---COMPLETED ---

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADdAhMYDMLwM4Bq6X8djNQbmXfBsbxEq0ZWhV2w*xLz5XxZn xfp9ojXXq8LVtgTtdkpTxVIH3anHc*gTNzGKUOyKXHey4AFj53 1J4dJnj21mkTwHgfK7w/opelauscom.gif?dc=4675499169725408923[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Frankie9fingers

Thats actually making me think now, maybe im checking them incorrectly... :?

How do you check brake pads? Just to make sure im doing it right, i didnt take the wheel off, i just visually inspected.
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information