Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OpelAus Forum Regular jerrypufflewell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah they should come on with parkers with the ECU running as normal, I think the issue is not having tail lights etc. By "without the headlights on" i thought you meant in the full off position (i.e no parkers).

Edit: I see Clint has answered this, but pretty sure rear fogs can only come on with full headlights regardless of front fogs...
    Also why do you need the battery disconnected? I suppose ur just being cautious but i don't see that you need to, just plug the switch, relay & lights in with ignition off & light headlight switch off
    Last edited by jerrypufflewell; 20th August 2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clint beat me :P
    Astra TR Sedan C16SE- Fastest car in... Jerrawa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm....maybe i'm getting everyone confused here.
    ok...here is a pic of the switch panel.

Click here to enlarge

This is the current factory setting on the Astra Gs.

In the #1 position:-
    Parkers = OFF
    Headlights = OFF
    Front Foglights = Not Available (cannot be turned on)
    Rear Foglights = Not Available (cannot be turned on)

In the #2 position:-
    Parkers = ON
    Headlights = OFF
    Front Foglights = Not Available (I'm not sure, but i guess it cannot be turned on, just like the rear. Correct me if i'm wrong)

In the #3 position:-
    Parkers = ON
    Headlights = ON
    Front Foglights = Available (can be turned ON or OFF)
    Rear Foglights = Available (can be turned ON or OFF)

Wat i want to do is have the option to turn the Front Foglights ON or OFF in Switch Position #2. So yes, parkers will be on before i can use the foggies.
    SOLD!! Soon to be Skoda Octavia vRS!
    Rieger Tuning Bodykit; Whiteline Rear Sway Bar; Whiteline Front Brace-Strut; Bilstein Heavyduty Strut Mounts; Koni Sports Shocks; Sports Ryder Performance Springs; DEPO Angel Eyes 5000k Xenons[/B]; Kamei Mesh Sports Grille; Hurricane Muffler; Hella FF50 Foglights; INXX Bonnet Lifters; 17x7.5" StarCorp Gunmetal 6;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the F front foggies can turn on with just parkers but rear only with main-beam, so I presume it is the same with the G-
    In the #2 position:-
    Parkers = ON
    Headlights = OFF
    Front Foglights = Available

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First problem you will face is that I BELIEVE the button for fog lights is a micro-touch switch. Meaning it won't switch a relay. It needs the existing car electronics (fuse box relays and timer) in order to work. There's no "ECU" running here, just a simple state-switching device. What this means is you can hook the relay straight to the switch, when you push the button in the lights will go on, but when you let go of it, the lights will go off. If you want to try using a rear foglight button you can, but once you see what's behind it, there's a lot more than just fitting a switch and it working, i have no idea how you will get another switch in there to make it work. I've seen the inside of the drivers switch, save yourself the pain and buy one. It's not really _THAT_ much money. Astra G's all come prewired AFAIK for fog lights. You just need the lights, switch and fuse/relay (not sure about the last 2, they MAY be there, they may not be there). The existing looms will be behind the bumper somewhere along the chassis beams coming out to the front bumper. You should find 1 plug on either side loose there somewhere. Use those, use the correct switch and install it properly. That said, if i do happen to see you driving with fog lights on with parkers on during the day/evening i may be tempted to run into you head-on, because the foglights blinded me and i couldn't see a thing (I have sensitive eyes, lol). Seriously, if your fogs DO come on at any time while you are getting a rego check, you'll fail rego and have to fix the problem before it'll pass. Fog lights are illegal to use when it's not foggy, i'm not sure what is so complex about this rules, but it seems half of australia either can't read, doesn't understand, or is too stupid find the button to turn them off. They don't look cool, they look sh1t. I don't want to be blinded, nor to do i know many other people who do either.

Each to their own, but hopefully i've answered all your questions.

P.S. The reason for fog's is to be able to see in a fog. Normal main beam headlights make seeing in fog a damned sight harder. So, if you want usable fog lights, you want front ones to come on/off with parks and main beam. Although they are pretty useless with the main beams on in fog anyway...
    Last edited by NUTTTR; 21st August 2006 at 02:03 PM.
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol yet again the rant about using fogs innapropriately :P but I agree, far too many ppl do.
    I don't see why the rear switch wouldn't work- the rest of the stuff whould be there already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey NUTTTR, don't worry, i don't plan on blinding other drivers with my foggies!! i hate that just as much as u do.

the reason i wanna use foggies r during rain n foggy conditions. i drive every weekend too n from sydney n canberra - rain, fog n wildlife create hazards. its these situations i need 'em.

i'll also ensure that the foggies r pointing n angled correctly. plus, u gotta remember the foggies r going to b sitting much much lower than the headlights.

by having the ability to use the foggies without the headlights, means less chance of dazzling on-coming drivers with both the headlights n the foggies on.

jerrypufflewell - thanx, i sure hope thats the case with astra Gs.
    Rieger Tuning Bodykit; Whiteline Rear Sway Bar; Whiteline Front Brace-Strut; Bilstein Heavyduty Strut Mounts; Koni Sports Shocks; Sports Ryder Performance Springs; DEPO Angel Eyes 5000k Xenons[/B]; Kamei Mesh Sports Grille; Hurricane Muffler; Hella FF50 Foglights; INXX Bonnet Lifters; 17x7.5" StarCorp Gunmetal 6;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *UPDATE*
    got the foggies - woohoo.
    just waiting on the switch panel. then next weekend i'll b fitting it all in.
    atm i'm working out a surround for the foggies in the mesh - not as easy as i thought. i want it to look flush n neat.
    i've taken a gamble with the swith panel - bought one with only one foglamp switch, frm Kumbak wreckers (vic). i'm going to transplant the foglamp switch into my existing switch panel. if it doesn't work - well there goes 50 bucks.

anyone know if i can buy the mini 15a fuses frm stores like autobarn, repco, supercheap?

also, can anyone confirm if the relay should go in position no IX (9)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the fuse for the front fogs will be a normal blade, it is on mine & you can just get them from just about anywhere... autobarn, repco, supercheap, mitre 10, maybe some other hardware places...
    As for relay position on the TR it is in position 11, but it's probably different. If you can post a picture of the diagram from the cover of the fuse box I can confirm it for you Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok....this one is gonna b long one, so get comfy if ur gonna read it Click here to enlarge oh, n pics were taken frm my fone, so my lopo-lopo-gies Click here to enlarge

i finally had a chance to look at the switch panel i bought for 50 bucks.

i've opened it up, carefuly, without breaking anything, and have analysed it closely - in conclusion, all i need to do is de-solder a switch from the purchased switchpanel, and solder it to my existing switch panel.
    all the connectors going to the dashboard already exist.

here is a pic of the switch panel - opened up.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

the good thing is that i can use the rear foglight switch in the front foglight switch position. i need to make sure i use the two little springs where the circles are marked.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

so once i've soldered the switch used for the rear switch into place for the front switch (indicated by the circle), that should be it.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

i then plug the rear foglight switch in place of my front foglight switch on the face/cover, plug the relay, plug the fuse, and wham bham......we have foggies Click here to enlarge

and yes, nothing has been broken in the process. everything can be put back together, as good as new. i practiced a few times. wasn't easy, but patience was my best friend. piece a cake now!! lol

now i studied the PCB carefully, and the only thing missing is the front fog switch.

t'row i'll b fitting the foggies to the front bumper - i'll take pics of the progress.

fingers crossed, all goes well.
    Last edited by JR; 28th October 2006 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey good investigation work Click here to enlarge
    Good luck with the install Click here to enlarge

Thread Information