Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing aftermarket foglights - questions

hey hey ppls,

coupla questions - hope u guys can help Click here to enlarge
    i've bought aftermarket foglights (http://www.blinglights.com/shopbling...dProduct=4094), n will b installing them myself in the next 2 weeks or so.

1. wat is the current wattage for the stock astra foglights - 35W or 55W?
    2. is it possible to reprogram the electronics to be able to turn on the foglights without having the headlights on? maybe use a tech2?
    3. anyone know where i can get a light switch panel? holden charge $155 for it!! ouch.
    4. has anyone here done it before? if so, any pointers?

cheers guys n gals
    JR
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    SOLD!! Soon to be Skoda Octavia vRS!
    Rieger Tuning Bodykit; Whiteline Rear Sway Bar; Whiteline Front Brace-Strut; Bilstein Heavyduty Strut Mounts; Koni Sports Shocks; Sports Ryder Performance Springs; DEPO Angel Eyes 5000k Xenons[/B]; Kamei Mesh Sports Grille; Hurricane Muffler; Hella FF50 Foglights; INXX Bonnet Lifters; 17x7.5" StarCorp Gunmetal 6;

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a full set of "how to" instructions on this, but seem to have lost them. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you with the correct sizes, etc. But you will need: A fuse, a relay and a switch block that includes front fog light switch (any wrecker with a suitable donor Astra will suffice). The wires for the lights runs behind the bumper bar and should be there already.
    Good luck, and don't forget to post a couple of pix when the job is all done.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a problemn with using the Lights ecu as it can burn somthing out

mentioned one here a few weeks ago

i will see if i can find it
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sssdriver Click here to enlarge
    God bless hoons, without them tying up police resources my methlab would have been raided aeons ago!:uhh:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sssdriver Click here to enlarge
    God bless hoons, without them tying up police resources my methlab would have been raided aeons ago!:uhh:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imay Click here to enlarge
    I used to have a full set of "how to" instructions on this, but seem to have lost them. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you with the correct sizes, etc. But you will need: A fuse, a relay and a switch block that includes front fog light switch (any wrecker with a suitable donor Astra will suffice). The wires for the lights runs behind the bumper bar and should be there already.
    Good luck, and don't forget to post a couple of pix when the job is all done.
    yup.....got the fuse, got the relay, got the foglights - all i need is the the switch panel with front fog switch.
    dats my stumbling block.
    i'm gonna c if i can find a wrecker in sydney who happen to have an astra or two in their yard.
    i've seen the wiring loom - no probs there Click here to enlarge

it would b great if u can find ur "how to"

cheers
    Rieger Tuning Bodykit; Whiteline Rear Sway Bar; Whiteline Front Brace-Strut; Bilstein Heavyduty Strut Mounts; Koni Sports Shocks; Sports Ryder Performance Springs; DEPO Angel Eyes 5000k Xenons[/B]; Kamei Mesh Sports Grille; Hurricane Muffler; Hella FF50 Foglights; INXX Bonnet Lifters; 17x7.5" StarCorp Gunmetal 6;

OpelAus Forum Regular jerrypufflewell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1- I'd say 55W each
    2- It's illegal as it contravenes ADRs, but each to their own I suppose...
    3- Wreckers as stated before
    4- Yes on my F. Using the stock wiring is a synch Click here to enlarge

Some nice foggies make it look a lot better Click here to enlarge
    Astra TR Sedan C16SE- Fastest car in... Jerrawa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EL BURITO Click here to enlarge
    There is a problemn with using the Lights ecu as it can burn somthing out

mentioned one here a few weeks ago

i will see if i can find it
    i thin what they were talking about in that thread was the original lights running the power straight thru the switch, which could work with the original fog lights, but any more current and its too much for the switch to handle.

JR is running all the current thru a relay, which is how the vectra and i assume the astra does it, so there won't be a problem. at the most the lights could draw too much current for what the relay can handle, but you can check this, it will say on the relay how much it can handle, and the lights will say how much they draw, and if it does fry relays are cheap unlike the original switches
    Clint Ebbesen Photography www.clintebbesen.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wat plan on doing, or ideally, is :-
    i) fit the after-market foggies with the existing wiring loom
    ii) use after-market relay that comes with the foggies
    iii) use switch panel with front foggie button (obtained new or frm wreckers) to activate the foggies

this way, i don't have to do any wiring, or use the ugly big-red flick switch that comes with the after-market foggies. so in effect, pretend its a stock standard setup, but with different bulbs n casing.
    should work right?

in-term of using foggies without the headlights, i don't see this as an issue, as i have seen numerous cars with the foggies n parkers on.
    i was just wondering if it was possible to trick the astra's ecu/computer to allow the foggies to be activated when the switch is in the no. 2 position - parkers.
    clint...wat do u reckon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man.....went to 3 different wreckers on sat, n not one of them had an astra g!!! well, actually one did, but it was only frm the front door back - hence no dashboard!!!
    i was spewing.
    cause its so hard to find - this got me thinking......why don't i simply get a normal (without the front foggie button) switch panel, remove the rear-foggie button, n put it in my switch panel - in place of the front foggie button???

a button is button right? on....off.....on. sure, it will have the wrong image, i.e my switch panel will have 2x rear foggie buttons, but i can live with that? see image below.

Click here to enlarge

sounds possible?

oh...n 1 more thing - i should disconnect the battery before doing any of this, any downside to this, in terms of service reminders, or settings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as almost everything in the vectra and astra is the same, i would assume this is the same too, when the headlight switch is turned on to parkers only, you only turn on the front fogs, after turning on the front fogs you can then turn on the rear fogs i think, and when the headlights are on you can turn on either the front or rear fog lights.

igniton must be turned on for the fog lights to work.

if you like you could always use another switch hidden somewhere if you want to turn on lights at a time that you cannot normally do this.
    Clint Ebbesen Photography www.clintebbesen.com

Thread Information