Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you use ethanol...

Ethanol is primarily made from food crops. This means that as ethanol production increases, the food available to feed the world's population decreases.

Given that many of the world's population are already starving, I'm interested in how people feel about the use of ethanol as a fuel source. Do you have any moral issues with shifting from oil-based to ethanol-based fuel?

Is it right for wealthy countries to make poorer countries starve simply so we can continue to live wasteful lifestyles?

Would it make you think twice to know that if you were to fuel your car with ethanol, you'd be making someone starve?

Is all this enough to prevent you buying ethanol-based fuel?

Thoughts/feelings?

(I'm not after an 'ethanol eats your engine' discussion - I'm only asking about the social/moral aspect of using ethanol - thanks.)
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Astra SRiT

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I would use ethanol. Ethanol can be manufactured from basically any plant matter. It's not really an issue of taking up food resources to manufacture ethanol as a lot of it is made from waste plant matter such as the left over of crops after harvesting ie. sugar cane. So rather than just disposing or burning the waste, it can be used to make ethanol.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No its supply and demand the weak die off and the strong suvive

so yes i would use it
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sssdriver Click here to enlarge
    God bless hoons, without them tying up police resources my methlab would have been raided aeons ago!:uhh:

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    given that the majority of ethanol production here is from Sugar crops, and given that an increase in ethanol useage means more sugar plantations required, hence more oxygenation (plant life photosynthesis yadda yadda), and more plants means more poeple required to manage them, hence more jobs created locally...

are you catching my drift,,,
    ]
    and given that we arent exactly in a shortage of sugar worldwide...

No. I dont have a single hesitation on ethanol useage wrt world food starvation.

I think it has NO impact on food source.
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by entice

I think it has NO impact on food source.
    Exactly. It's really a lot of positives when it comes to ethanol.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes and i have used ethanol.

there is nothing wrong with it at all.

if there were more places around that sold E85 i would most likly convert to it.

SSS_Hoon
    Click here to enlarge
    ......all that work and still not enough killer wasps, So i'm in the hunt for more.....

Life Is A Bitch, Death Is A ****, That Comes For Everyone, When It Comes For You, Your Completely ****ed

"Soon to be adding to the family with a itty bitty bubby"

OpelAus Forum Regular jerrypufflewell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use ethanol just because it is heavily subsidised lol, although the benefits are debatable.
    Astra TR Sedan C16SE- Fastest car in... Jerrawa?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta agree with sentiments so far . . . don't think that crops for ethanol production here in Australia would greatly impact on the "feed the world's starving" campaign. Let's face it, a large majority of the world's starving are in that situation because of government ad corporate corruption, war, domestic uprising, and greed from a much higher level than the average western motorist.

Less sugar in our coffee and more ethanol in our tanks won't change the world starvation problems. So, yes, I would use it as long as it could be proven to be beneficial to ALL sectors, including my pocket.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ethanol is made from the waste of the crops so there would be no less sugar.

SSS_Hoon
    Click here to enlarge
    ......all that work and still not enough killer wasps, So i'm in the hunt for more.....

Life Is A Bitch, Death Is A ****, That Comes For Everyone, When It Comes For You, Your Completely ****ed

"Soon to be adding to the family with a itty bitty bubby"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before anyone comments more about crops being used and that they should feed the worlds hungy first, let me tell you something.

i wa sborn in a place called geraldton and its one of WA"s major shipping ports for grain. back a few years ago a trip to see some relatives (and have seen this almost every time) you drive past MOUNTAINS of grain waiting to be sold and loaded onto ships. i cant tell you how many time i have seen these just rotting away/growing green with mould and then they are just dumped. i am talking millions of tonnes!!..remember about 15 years ago when we had such a surplus of heep the there was a govt subsidiary for farmers to just kill them and bury them for like $15 a head????? The reason part of the world are starving is because no one is willing to pay to get the food to those people.

and yeah, i would use ethanol, but i havent seen it in WA yet.
    Subaru MY08 STi - Alpine white :whistle:
    Hammond to Clarkson: "if the STi is faster your gonna look like such a knob!"

209kw at all 4.

Thread Information