Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden
    Hmm.. I read it as being they had a 1km strip of road to start from 0km/h and see what 'top speed' they would reach at the 1km mark. So like a 1/4 mile run but over 1km.
    OK, I think I've found the answer:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com

This states that it was a "flying kilometre". I think you're reading it as a "standing kilometre".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember this record wasn't about getting the top speed out of the car, they only had 1km to do it in. And mate you got to 280km/h in your VK 5.0L? The VL Commodore SS Group A Walkinshaw had a top speed of 232km/h.
    I havn't checked the above clip, but on the V8 supercars yesterday they showed the whole Skaife, ute record run and I remember hearing it did it over a 5.2km run........

And yes, 280km/h in a VK 5.0ltr - hard to believe, unless the motor was very highly modified, I had a VH 5.0ltr SL/E with a worked engine - hi po cam, yella terra heads, bored 30 thou, higher comp and re-calibrated Rochester and dizzy done by Tate Phillips engineering (who used to do all the Brockie stuff) and it struggled anywhere over 190km/h, max. I could get was just over 200km/h, very slow gain from there on - diff ratio was 3:08, so it wasn't due to gearing........
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith
    I havn't checked the above clip, but on the V8 supercars yesterday they showed the whole Skaife, ute record run and I remember hearing it did it over a 5.2km run........

And yes, 280km/h in a VK 5.0ltr - hard to believe, unless the motor was very highly modified, I had a VH 5.0ltr SL/E with a worked engine - hi po cam, yella terra heads, bored 30 thou, higher comp and re-calibrated Rochester and dizzy done by Tate Phillips engineering (who used to do all the Brockie stuff) and it struggled anywhere over 190km/h, max. I could get was just over 200km/h, very slow gain from there on - diff ratio was 3:08, so it wasn't due to gearing........
    Yeh I just caught the tail end of that on the V8's yesterday, was spewin! lol

And your VH... now that I can believe! Click here to enlarge How good do the 5.0L Holden bent 8's sound! Pure bliss.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by auzvectra
    hehe, crispy. my old n13 pulsar beat that :P.i hit 198, and 200 1 day when it popped the belts off (alternator, powersteer).
    but i spose it was a euro motor (18le) Click here to enlarge
    Huh? The n13 had a euro motor? I thought it used the Family2 from the Camira. I had a 1989 Series II for about 8 years and had to trade it in because it started getting very expensive to fix.. EMC went, alternator went, fuel pump went...
    The joys of a pressure cleaner and a random orbital polisher.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

How good do the 5.0L Holden bent 8's sound! Pure bliss.
    Oh yeh, the sound with the right exhaust from any of the older V8's even rovers - pure horn bag wet dreams stuff, drool, drool, they even make a wrx sound like an old 2 stroke lawn mower by comparison LOL.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as i said, it was an efi 5.0L Click here to enlarge.
    n i wont say what was done to it :P.
    but i aint no liar.
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious
    Sounds interesting - what did you have done in the VK - obviously there was an engine transplant to start with.....
    yeah, was a late model 5.0L, well mighta been a 5.7L, not sure they are both the same on the outside. but it wasnt standard.
    good thing the car was really low Click here to enlarge.
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by auzvectra
    yeah, was a late model 5.0L, well mighta been a 5.7L, not sure they are both the same on the outside. but it wasnt standard.
    good thing the car was really low Click here to enlarge.
    Go on, you can give us more than that!!!

When you said that it was a late model 5.0-5.7 - so it would have had to have been the stroker motor out of the VR GTS-R with a 6 speed.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Thread Information