Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acceptable Coolant Loss

Hey guys,

just thought if you could tell. is there a acceptable coolant loss with the 1.8 astra's for example. reason why i ask is cause ive noticed that my coolant has dropped about 1-2cm in that coolant tank since about 1 year ago.

is that normal? doesnt look like i have any leaks or anything.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

I'm new here, please be nice McMessy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think one or two cm over a year is a problem, but if you're losing it at an increasing rate, that is bad. Keep an eye out for puddles or drips. My TS 1.8 had a leaking radiator because an air conditioning sytem part behind the radiator rubbed a hole in it.

The part I'm referring to is a cylindrical alloy object about half the size of a coke can, located on the outlet hose that comes out of the bottom drivers side corner of the air conditioning condenser/radiator. It usually sits in a bracket a few cm behind the engine radiator down the bottom drivers' side, but mine had slipped out of its tin bracket and proceeded to gradually wear a hole through the radiator fins. I noticed small losses from the reservoir initially and didn't think much of it, until it left a puddle under the car and I managed to locate the source.

Because the astra radiator has plastic end caps, I couldn't get it re-cored, and had to get a new one, which set me back about $400 fitted. I might have been able to get the radiator fixed if I'd noticed it before it made a decent hole. I've zip-tied both ends of the part now so it won't cost me any more unneccesary coin wastage.
    Hopefully you don't have this problem - good luck!

If you want me to take a few pictures of it for reference PM me your email or I'll post em up or something for all yo a55es

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i just want to find out if its normal before i take it back to holden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from above the engine bay
    Click here to enlarge

from behind the radiator down low
    Click here to enlarge

as you can see it sits very close to the radiator, and being a metal pipe, if its slightly bent towards the radiator it can have enought pressure to pop the clip open with all the vibrations and temperature changes. I had a fender-bender previously which I think might have slightly bowed my old radiator inwards too, which may have made it worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of if you have this problem, I'd recommend zip-tying it just in case the bracket does come loose - it could save you hundreds of dollars.

Thread Information