Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like i said earlier, if it shortened the life to under 100k, I wouldnt touch it(or change car at 70k).
    OTOH if its around 200k then itll prolly need rings and other misc stuff too (using that logic, using petrol shortens its life too).
    It also depends on how long you keep the car, if you dont plan on having it for a long time why spend the extra money on petrol?
    Click here to enlarge
    "At the moment you have the answer to fuel consumption by looking at diesel, but governments then charge extra taxes on it so they make that option really unavailable to the public because they chose to put a levy on the fuel." - Tom Walkinshaw (HSV)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tmov81
    someone should kill john howard...
    lol Doesn't matter what government is in office, they won't change it.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr T
    A couple of things:

Taxi's last 400K's + because they are always running and oil is always available at the top of the engine. Most engine wear happens when the engine is cold and more specifically when there is no oil in all the right places.
    hmm debatable. depending on who you talk to they will tell you different things. personaly i dont think taxi's last any longer than any other vehicle of the same type. ive been in taxis that have done 900000km and asked them what has been done and most of the time they say "head rebuild, auto rebuilt and usualy mottor rebuilt atleast once or twice. there are some still on the original mottors but they are the lucky ones. i have a guy that comes threw work in a dirty old vn v6 ute on gas (id never have a v6 on gas) and its done almost 500000km and still runs like clockwork. also when using gas remember that you use more litres to the 100km than petrol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not unless you have injected gas then its close to original consumption.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beep beep sri
    when using gas remember that you use more litres to the 100km than petrol.
    yes but its 1/3rd the cost so you could use 3 times the amount before you broke even. The old systems SEEM to get around 2/3rds the distance to the same amount of fuel. Since there is little info on LPG injection you would assume it would be an improvement in economy and power over the 'burner ring' styles.

Id still be happy with a $20 fill up rather than a $60, once a week.

Its interesting....15years of bad press on lpg and its benefits get overlooked. Why? because itll shorten engine life and uses more fuel. Theres little HARD evidence (except for usage) on this except for 'people know of people who've had it happen' and 'they say.....'.

When my 308 was rebuilt it had cracked one head between 3 valve pairs, between one pair on the other, both had the valves hammered into the head and it had ONLY ever been run on petrol.
    Of all the cars I know of, the LPG ones are on par for dying as with the petrol ones, but in saying that NONE has ever been owned long enough to physically die from any cause (inc. my mums HZ which was on LPG for 15years, was rebuilt once and which you would EXPECT on a 30yo daily driver. Got traded for $500 on a Lantra Wagon, also now traded)

The 'stigma' against lpg is what the fuel companies and everyone else who makes money from petrol wants, if they mark up by percentage they will make SO much more from a more expensive fuel....stuff the enviroment.
    Last edited by pred8r; 8th June 2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    "At the moment you have the answer to fuel consumption by looking at diesel, but governments then charge extra taxes on it so they make that option really unavailable to the public because they chose to put a levy on the fuel." - Tom Walkinshaw (HSV)

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm lpg powerd astra you say hmmm.............considering my astra feels underpowerd ( prob all in my head ) id want equal performance.Click here to enlarge
    sigs are stupid Click here to enlarge

My car goes broom, all 91kw of it !

Thread Information