Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wasnt being brand loyal towards the golf yeah we all know that we own one, i was just stating someone else findings that had driven both is all, i too am from a ford family and the focus is in the right price range if i was looking for a new car also.

i wasnt comparing XR5 to a GTi he was i was just sharing his findings is all.

as for 48k yeah that is possible i guess we were lucky got ours cheap and no wait hehehe gotta love cancelled orders.

as for the XR5 being a qwiker car i dont know will have to wait and see about that, the guy that i was talking about said the DSG GTi seemed qwiker.

i think that the XR5 will give the VXR more of a run in sales wise as will the mazda compared to the golf as the ppl that buy the golf dont buy it for its performance which it has, they buy it for the build quality of a very well recgonised brand and they know they are getting a quality car, and the ppl that buy the XR5, VXR and the mazda are ppl as you say dont mind compromising on the litle things that make a quality car as they dont need them or want them so they dont want to pay the xtra price to have them if they dont want them.

all in all its totally up to the individuals choice and i dont want to turn this thread into another gti v vxr v everything else thread.

SSS_Hoon
    Click here to enlarge
    ......all that work and still not enough killer wasps, So i'm in the hunt for more.....

Life Is A Bitch, Death Is A ****, That Comes For Everyone, When It Comes For You, Your Completely ****ed

"Soon to be adding to the family with a itty bitty bubby"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSS_Hoon
    ...dont mind compromising on the litle things that make a quality car as they dont need them or want them so they dont want to pay the xtra price to have them if they dont want them.
    lol I think i get what you're trying to say. heheClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Participant Poogene2001's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what it boils down to is that all the mentioned cars are capable and attractive in their individual ways. Given the choice (for free) i wouldnt chose the XR5. but it i had to pay for it, and lets face it, most of us do have to pay for our cars, then I would find it hard to go past.... despite the fact that the plastics are cheap, the seats arent leather, its a ford, it suffers torque steer, it doesnt have cruise control and its an old fashioned manual. But hey, thats just me! Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast aussie_in_london's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Focus ST/XR5 is known to have a drinking problem much more so than the VXR : ))))))
    you guys will be getting large 4 pot AP brakes with huge slotted and vented disks, 19" wheels and part leather recaros as standard on the VXR so you will see why the price is above the XR5 which will come with 18"s, a smaller 2 pot brake system and material recaros in standard form.
    Last edited by aussie_in_london; 22nd May 2006 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Spoke to a guy who works for Ford today, he had an XR5 come in after 100 kays and the gearbox was stuffed. Opened up the gearbox sump plug to find ..... no oil!!!!!

Good old Ford quality LOL!!!!!!!

I think ill stick with the VXR over the XR5!!!

(suprised it ran for 100 kays without gearbox oil though??!!)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57
    Spoke to a guy who works for Ford today, he had an XR5 come in after 100 kays and the gearbox was stuffed. Opened up the gearbox sump plug to find ..... no oil!!!!!

Good old Ford quality LOL!!!!!!!

I think ill stick with the VXR over the XR5!!!

(suprised it ran for 100 kays without gearbox oil though??!!)
    That is almost too hard to believe! That is just unforgivable.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mrs T
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSS_Hoon
    i wasnt being brand loyal towards the golf yeah we all know that we own one, i was just stating someone else findings that had driven both is all, i too am from a ford family and the focus is in the right price range if i was looking for a new car also.

i wasnt comparing XR5 to a GTi he was i was just sharing his findings is all.

as for 48k yeah that is possible i guess we were lucky got ours cheap and no wait hehehe gotta love cancelled orders.

as for the XR5 being a qwiker car i dont know will have to wait and see about that, the guy that i was talking about said the DSG GTi seemed qwiker.

i think that the XR5 will give the VXR more of a run in sales wise as will the mazda compared to the golf as the ppl that buy the golf dont buy it for its performance which it has, they buy it for the build quality of a very well recgonised brand and they know they are getting a quality car, and the ppl that buy the XR5, VXR and the mazda are ppl as you say dont mind compromising on the litle things that make a quality car as they dont need them or want them so they dont want to pay the xtra price to have them if they dont want them.

all in all its totally up to the individuals choice and i dont want to turn this thread into another gti v vxr v everything else thread.

SSS_Hoon
    I understand what you are getting at Damian although i would like to slightly disagree with you on one small point.

When you talk of build quality for the Golf, i would like to point out the the VXR is a european built car as well and in no way compares with Ford and Mazda.

Anyone that has driven a Japanese car and gets into a Golf or an Astra (or old model corsa) will be able to tell the difference by just cloing the doors.

As everyone here knows, i had my hand up from the beginning for a VXR now that probably isnt possible now and i had considered the XR5 due to the extra doors. Now i never imagined that i would ever contemplate buying a Ford but i agree that you need to buy according to your needs.

This doesnt need to be a Golf vs VXR vs everything else thread, it is good for people to hear the faults of these cars without anyone being too bias.

The XR5 lost me when i found out there was no cruise control....... what the???? That shouldnt be an option these days....

Anyway sorry if i offended anyone

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first time ive read this thread and one thing caught my Eye. 3 door v 5 door. ive seen an xr5 at frankston ford and must say i did'nt even notice it was a 5 door. after having my sri for 4 years i must say i would never buy another 3 door again. that must also be considerd in the pricing stakes when comparing 5 doors usualy cost more.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beep beep sri
    that must also be considerd in the pricing stakes when comparing 5 doors usualy cost more.
    The Monaro had 2 less doors than the sedan and it cost more. Click here to enlarge But you did say usually.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up hrmmm

Good to see most people are pretty level headed in these parts o the world. Click here to enlarge

IT's a FWD so of course there is room for torque steer although the XR5 really does handle like a weapon, they seem to have found a very good mix by mating the Duratec engine with the focus chassis.

The fact is both cars are awesome.

The ST / XR5T is reknowned as a lovely refined package with good urge and a nice engine note whilst the VXR is known as the slightly faster, wilder and more engaging of the two.. more of a pure drivers car.

I just hope the VXR doesn't suffer the supply issues that the Golf GTI and now the XR5T (it's getting bad) have in Australia. If HSV can bring them over in decent numbers they may win the sales war purely on having stock available as i'm sure the VXR would sell itself to any person who wants a great car.

Thread Information