Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not quite the same engine as Astra's, rather sharing it with the Captiva. It is a VM Motori developed engine. Has the same power/torque figures though.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Part Answer here - Part one is a bit of a rant, Part two is something worth reading regarding diesel v/s petrol.

__________________________________________________ ________

I hate it that they ripped the Vectra for this azn 525i attempt.

Mind you though, I guess;

-The V6 Veccys were pretty dear and you were still only getting a Holden badge which, unfortunately, drew a lot of stereotypes which would say things like "but the Commodore's got a bigger engine" and "what's European?..is that where that Hitler guy lives" etc.

-Anyone who looked anywhere on the internet would see heaps of crap on the Vec from both that prat Clarkson & disgruntled owners who tried to run the Vec B like a cheap Daihatsu (91 RON, not serviced regularly or serviced poorly by Holden mechanics not knowing much about the car despite the fact it was made here for a number of years)

Not to Underestimate the mental capacity of our culture, but I guess the Vectra wasn't the right car for the "All Aussie" car maker to sell. The average Holden buyer couldn't justify the spend (for the V6 Vec Cs at least) when they could have more car for less in the commodore. Those that really wanted European would've probably been able to spend the extra 10-20k to get something like an Audi A4 Quattro or a 330i, and then they weren't buying a Holden badge.

In my honest opinion cars like the Vectra C (and perhaps the Tigra as well) would've done better if they were sold here with the Opel badge by an Opel or just generic 'GM' dealer. (Much like what Skoda is starting to do).
    __________________________________________________ _____

To return somewhat to the Topic, a Diesel epica is all well and good, but it's getting to the point where the difference in the price between Petrol and Diesel is enough to more then offset any comsumption difference.

Put it this way - my 1998 1998cc Vec B CD does 7.8L/100km when I use 95 RON premium unleaded. (Mind you it uses a Cone filter and decent spark plugs so I'm guessing I have around 104kW of power (stock is 100). (Those two mods cost me a grand total of around $80.)

The claimed output on the diesel Epica is 110kW for 7.6/100km

I filled my car today, and I paid $1.45 for Caltex Vortex (hooray for living in QLD). Diesel was selling at the pump next to me for $1.72. The difference in price means that over the difference of one 60L tank, you'll pay $16.20 more for Diesel.

One 60L tank will theoretically get me 769Km, and one 60L tank will get the Epica 789Km. That's 20 extra Kilometers for $16.20. While driving those 20 kilometers, my 20th century technology Vec B will consume 1.56L of fuel, which to me is worth $2.26.

So summing up, My petrol Vectra B with $80 worth of engine mods will do 789Km for $13.94 less then it costs a new diesel Epica if prices stay around the same. Most predictions argue that the gap between diesel and petrol will grow as demand for the heavier distillate increases.

As an afterthought, let's not forget the other diesel things to know

-More low down torque, but overall less performance orientated
    -Dirtier, more emissions
    -Harder to start in cold areas; Start requires glow plug
    -Reasonably agricultural in soundbyte
    -stigma attached to them in Australia at least (as you can see from my stereotypical remarks above)

That's all for now...
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was suggesting anyone on the market for a vanilla Commodore or Falcon should have a hard look at the diesel Epica. Cheaper than those two, much more fuel efficient, even with higher distillate prices and a much lighter car, too. How on Earth could you save fuel with two tonne car?!

There's another misconception used when comparing petrol vs. diesel: using religiously the average fuel consumption stated by manufacturers. It won't tell you the whole story. Reading Carguide's review of the new BMW X6 we see that stated average fuel economy for the 210 kW 35d is 9.0 l/100km vs. 12.1 l/100km for the 225 kW marvelous twin-turbo petrol six. On a spirited test drive the diesel reached 11 l/100km (22% increase over the official average) while the petrol's got up to 19 l/100km (72% increase)!

Trash the Epica all day long and it won't sip more than 9.5 l/100km, guaranteed. On the other hand, do that in a petrol six Falcodore and see what happens. Why is this important you may ask, since driven sensibly a petrol six can be driven for 11 l/100 km? Well, that's exactly the problem in my view. I'd rather not drive than to mind my right foot all the time and behave like I'm 84 behind the wheel...
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true that it wont use much diesel if u trash it all day...but will the korean engine still be in 1 piece after all the hard workClick here to enlarge or will be sound like an old tractor and blow heaps of black smoke cos all internal bits are worn out.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    but will the korean engine still be in 1 piece after all the hard work
    are they building the engine in Korea? I thought VM Motori is just in Italy.... Click here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's designed by VM Motori and built by GMDAT. Their new facilities are a far cry from the old days... and even then Daewoo's never really fell apart...
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Forum Addict Red AH SRI T's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new 6 speed gearbox has done wonders for the Epica, not more hunting around. And better performance too.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    I was suggesting anyone on the market for a vanilla Commodore or Falcon should have a hard look at the diesel Epica. Cheaper than those two, much more fuel efficient, even with higher distillate prices and a much lighter car, too. How on Earth could you save fuel with two tonne car?!

There's another misconception used when comparing petrol vs. diesel: using religiously the average fuel consumption stated by manufacturers. It won't tell you the whole story. Reading Carguide's review of the new BMW X6 we see that stated average fuel economy for the 210 kW 35d is 9.0 l/100km vs. 12.1 l/100km for the 225 kW marvelous twin-turbo petrol six. On a spirited test drive the diesel reached 11 l/100km (22% increase over the official average) while the petrol's got up to 19 l/100km (72% increase)!

Trash the Epica all day long and it won't sip more than 9.5 l/100km, guaranteed. On the other hand, do that in a petrol six Falcodore and see what happens. Why is this important you may ask, since driven sensibly a petrol six can be driven for 11 l/100 km? Well, that's exactly the problem in my view. I'd rather not drive than to mind my right foot all the time and behave like I'm 84 behind the wheel...
    That is a very good point and is often overlooked! We test drove the 123d a few months back with 3000 demo kms on it and its average was 8.7, I was alarmed at that figure until the dealer pointed out that it was the dealership hack car and had had the pants thrashed off it buy them and the customers! Impressive stuff considering we averaged 9.2 in the Astra driving it semi tame.

We ended up with V8 petrol instead and petrol is a dollar more a Litre over here.
    Megane RS 250 Trophee
    Megane RS F1.R

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The diesel vs petrol savings equation has been reported in one of the 4wd magazines this month. Even for those thirsty beasts the savings from buying a diesel version can be hard to justify. Especially now as most of them can be had with quiet, smooth, powerful and efficient petrol/5speed auto combinations.

As for Commodore economy.... I drove back from the Snowies on Monday.
    500km at an overall average speed of 100km/h (so not hanging about) with average fuel consumption of 8.1l/100km (on cats piss 91RON). Not bad at all.
    Could have saved more if I had dropped the average speed.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Which engine rj - Ecotec or Alloytec?
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Thread Information