Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need projector lights for HID. It's just that HID capsules don't have the same light point characteristics as a normal h4/7 bulb.

HID capsules will only work correctly in a reflector or projector housing specifically designed for HID.

The most important fact is that aftermarket HID kits are ILLEGAL. Surely this must have some impact on anyones decision to do it. What if you are involved in an accident? You insurance company could deem you car unroadworthy and refuse any claims.

Does everyone realise that even those blue tinged H7/H4 globes are illegal. They are not to be used on the road (states it on the pack!!). Defectable.

Best to stay with Philips Vision Plus/ Narva +50s or Osram Silverstar. All will produce an increase in light and are totally legal.

I find it amusing that people fit these HID kits, blue globes to be different/noticed. Yet all other drivers think is "wanker". Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dustbug
    This place in the city installs HID Xenon systems for around $100. If you would like new globes and have them installed for nothing, you can go to AutoJoy in Parramatta. I have fitted two sets of globes by myself and it is easily done.

www.autojoy.com.au

Their parking lights sell for approx. $30 while their low beams sell for approx. $50.

i have those lights in my car, cost me $20 from a factory in kingsgrove.
    really white during the day(not like some which are yellow during the day), and blue at night.
    | 2SUS Custom Resprays | Taleb Tyres |

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra
    You don't need projector lights for HID. It's just that HID capsules don't have the same light point characteristics as a normal h4/7 bulb.

The most important fact is that aftermarket HID kits are ILLEGAL. Surely this must have some impact on anyones decision to do it. What if you are involved in an accident? You insurance company could deem you car unroadworthy and refuse any claims.

Does everyone realise that even those blue tinged H7/H4 globes are illegal. They are not to be used on the road (states it on the pack!!). Defectable.

Best to stay with Philips Vision Plus/ Narva +50s or Osram Silverstar. All will produce an increase in light and are totally legal.

I find it amusing that people fit these HID kits, blue globes to be different/noticed. Yet all other drivers think is "wanker". Click here to enlarge
    I believe installing aftermarket HID on the AH headlight unit will NOT dazzle other road user.. The Astra G would because there is no glare shield in the headlight design, installing an HID kit on the G would just be like having HIGH BEAM on at all time. However, the Astra H has a glare reduction shield in front of the light bulb and there should have no problem to use HID kit with this car.

Saying using aftermarket HID is illegal is not really true. As for queensland, the guideline controlling modification on car headlight that is of concerning the installation of HID can be referred to "All About Modification To Motor Vehicles" from Queensland Transport. As long as it is a white coloured light (Not too blue), it should be legal. So as long as we stick to 6000K or below HID kit for the Astra H, it should be legal. Given the fact that the Astra H headlight design will not dazzle other road user and that the colour of the bulb is not blue, I don't see there are any reason to say that it is illegal to use HID on the AH Astra.

Sammy

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say it again, you need to have auto levelling headlights in order to LEGALLY fit HID Xenon lighting, and the Astra doesn't have that feature.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Lucky_Astra06
    how interesting i picked my car up from holden last night and asked about getting new headlights. im getting bright blue globes from motoquipe in Hornsby but to install them u gotta remove a air intake hose box thingie???? and also slide the battery out on the other side... high beam lights u gotta get from a compartment in the wheel arches!!! how crap is dat, anywho holdens gonna charge me $1/min to change the globes, wheres dis place in da city dustbug???
    You'lll find its the other way around...high beem through the engine bay standard through the arches....trust me i've done it :-)....I'm using the phillips diamond vision..bright blue light muhahahahaha...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden
    I'll say it again, you need to have auto levelling headlights in order to LEGALLY fit HID Xenon lighting, and the Astra doesn't have that feature.
    Mate, where you found that information? I know the america and the UK has really strick guideline on HID kit.. Not that I notice with Australia regulations.

Sammy

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got 6000k .. wouldnt recomend anyother colour as this is the brightest... the prices you say are heaps expensive... i got mine for $200, lucky win on ebay but they are not much more... installl is really easy...
    C20LET

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammykkwok
    Mate, where you found that information? I know the america and the UK has really strick guideline on HID kit.. Not that I notice with Australia regulations.

Sammy
    Don't remember if it was ADR or VicRoads regs I was reading, one of them, just realised he's in NSW so if it was VicRoads I read it you may be sweet.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried looking for info on Victorian registration requirements a while ago but couldn't find much. I suspect the information might be in the ADRs, but it seems you need to pay to get them. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows what's required...

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few bits of info.

Hella make the projector style headlamps for the Astra, so these are easily bought via your local Hella stockist. Part numbers are L/H: 1EL 008 700-311 R/H: 1EL 008 700-321

The bulb check feature can be defeated easily enough using the resistors already mentioned, 2 off 5 pin changeover relays and some capacitors to smooth the supply. What happens is, when the headlights are on, the bulb check system will cut the power momentarily, measure the resistance of the filament in the halogen bulb and then reinstate the power. This all happens very quickly; so quickly that the bulb hardly even starts to dim and the driver doesn't even notice it. Swap the bulbs for a HID ballast and lamp and the ballast doesn't take kindly to the intermittent power blips and shuts down to protect it's circuitry. If you're friendly with your dealer they can probably disable the bulb check feature.

Dunno 'bout Aus, but in the UK, you don't have to have auto levelling headlamps when using aftermarket kits, only factory fitted HIDs need it.

Fitting these kits to your modern Opel is not easy! Some info on the pitfalls here, but to a Vectra.

Thread Information