Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ADR regs are what are in play here regarding legality.

i recall once having this same discussion with a "bloke" on another forum who was bringing them in from overseas and flogging them off to club members for a profit, statign that they were legal. Fact is, they are not a legal accessory.

After a few heated hours of discussion it was nice that an engineer from a major motoring co. that was responsible for illumination stepped in and clarified the heated debate for us all, stipulating ADR rules and regs.

I dont have access to it any more, but it went something along the lines of:
    must have washer systemn installed to clean lens from dirt/grime that will scatter the light, and lens of headlamp must be appropriate type...something like have a "PC" emblem stamped/embossed on it.

anyways.... 8000K?

who in their right mind can see better with blue light rather than white?

IMHO, I'd be staying under the 5000K range...

but then again, i'd be saving a packet by using normal globes of a decent quality... Like PIAA or CAATZ, or Raybrig.. 4150K and loving it!
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

OpelAus Forum Regular jerrypufflewell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all the ADRs at home if that would help convince people what is and isn't legal :P
    Pretty sure HIDs are illegal unless they have auto-levelling and washers... And as far as dazzling other road users I have found that euro luxury cars aren't all that bad, but others (obviously aftermarket) are shocking.
    Seriously anyone considering putting HIDs on their car aftermarket should consider poor me on the highway in front of one of the new Hilux's with aftermarket HIDs. They do come with projectors as far as I can tell but I still got some serious burn from those just through my side mirrors Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jerrypufflewell
    I have all the ADRs at home if that would help convince people what is and isn't legal :P
    jerrypufflewell, are the requirements for OEM and aftermarket headlamps the same? I think, for example, that in the UK, headlamp washers are not required for aftermarket HID lamps.

Are adaptive headlights ("swiveling lights") legal?

Ta.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also checked with ADR's previously about this and you MUST have self levelling AND washers. Another regulation is that the fitment of "non-standard" lights "MUST NOT dazzle oncoming drivers any more than the standard OEM headlights"...
    SO, don't fit them. That simple. Spend the money on something else other than dazzling oncoming drivers. So - you drive around - you blind someone, they have an accident and run head on into you... Did you know insurance will be void because your car was illegally modified? It's regulations like this that make modding in australia harder than o/s... but for good reason!
    I don't care if you don't care about other drives, that's your own opinion, but you should care about them. The road IS there to share.
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NUTTTR
    I've also checked with ADR's previously about this and you MUST have self levelling AND washers. Another regulation is that the fitment of "non-standard" lights "MUST NOT dazzle oncoming drivers any more than the standard OEM headlights"...
    OK, so washers are mandatory. Are Australian requirements met by headlamps conforming to European standards? i.e. If I was to retrofit HID headlamps (self-levelling, with washers) that are available as a factory option in Europe, is that legal?

Insurance and the feasability of actually doing this are other questions that, of course, need to be answered...

OpelAus Forum Regular jerrypufflewell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Lights that comply with UNECE 98/00 (or later) i.e E marked HID kits, also by definition comply with ADR 77/00 (the aussie design rule for gas discharge light sources)- So long as they are installed correctly Click here to enlarge

Providing the kit does comply I don't see that insurance should be a worry, but the feasibility of getting a legal kit is probably quite low. I'd say they are fairly expensive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do the bulbs in the kits ever blow?

if they do, where do you buy the replacement bulbs from, or can you just put any H7 in??
    | 2SUS Custom Resprays | Taleb Tyres |

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THe globes will eventually go but Xenon globes last a lot longer than halogen globes, you most likely won't have to replace them for the time you've got the car. If you do need to replace them places like Autobarn will be able to get them for you. You can't just use ordinary H7 halogen globes obviously.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Thread Information