Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OpelAus Forum Addict BassyAstra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Don
    I'll honestly say that I would rather a Hyundai Getz.

Car looks weird, too high, to high off the ground and the quality.... expect it to be worse then the current barina. Click here to enlarge
    Agreed.
    Much worse.
    Current barina is a 'small car' but the next barina is a tin can.
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it looks high... any sedan of that size will. Remeber the first 121? Didn't stop them selling... Not my kinda car, but I think its 'cuteness' would work...

Current barina is a 'small car' but the next barina is a tin can.
    The current Barina is solidly built, but the interior leaves a bit to be desired. Opels aren't Audi's. I just don't get how you can make such a big statement, as though its a fact, without ever having seen the car in question?
    Astra SRiT

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just dont see how someone could judge such thing without every driving it or even seeing it, i personally dont think there is much difference between Opel and Daewoo, they both are not premium type of car yet opel is german and daewoo is korean which makes you think there is a Big difference, and i think you just have a prejudice against Daewoo built cars and the idea of 'Aussie' holden is importing 'Cheapy cars' from Daewoo. isnt it? Cmon, we can all make the judgement after having seen or driven the car.
    I would rather spend my time cleaing my car than cleaning my room.

OpelAus Forum Addict Red AH SRI T's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge

This is the OLD Kalos sedan, which was sold here

Click here to enlarge

This is the redesigned Sedan, they don't share any panels. This will be sold here as a Barina with a 1.6 ( if i remember correctly)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bottom pic looks ok... will it have a Daewoo engine in it or will Holden just create a new one for it?

If they do use their own engine, then really, it's not a Daewoo as such, it would be just like how Proton used Mitsubishi's old designs for their line of cars...

Anonymous
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 180HOA
    Of course it looks high... any sedan of that size will. Remeber the first 121? Didn't stop them selling... Not my kinda car, but I think its 'cuteness' would work...
    the m5 is a huge sedan, still doesn;t sit as high as that nugget. A tricycle would handle better then that. Centre of gravity? Non existant.

The current Barina is solidly built, but the interior leaves a bit to be desired. Opels aren't Audi's. I just don't get how you can make such a big statement, as though its a fact, without ever having seen the car in question?
    You don't have to see the car... just sit in a daewoo and the impression it will leave you with will leave much to be desired.

Goodbye barina, hello shitbox.

The journos will formally rip it apart at a leter date, consider this a prologue.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (oops... mistake)
    Astra SRiT

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the m5 is a huge sedan, still doesn;t sit as high as that nugget. A tricycle would handle better then that. Centre of gravity? Non existant.
    I'd expect an M5 to sit lower than a Barina... I was talking about proportionately. The Kalos/Aveo/Barina is shorter in wheelbase and overall length than, say, a Statesman, so when you're looking at the car in isolation, its going to appear high by comparison, even if the clearance was the same as the Statesman.

But again, without seeing the car, how do you know is clearance? Looking at the pic, the 'skirts' of the car are a touch lower than the wheel centres, which is pretty typical. As for the centre of gravity, you can't judge that by height alone. Where and how high the engine is mounted is gonna be a big factor there, and I don't know that.

You don't have to see the car... just sit in a daewoo and the impression it will leave you with will leave much to be desired
    One of my friends bought a Lacetti. When I first sat in it I thought it was as well finished as my TS Astra, but the materials (dash plastics, seat fabrics, etc) weren't as good as the Opels. I figure those are things that may have been changed for the Viva. It's got the Astra 1.8, so nothing to whinge about there. It didn't handle as well as the Astra, but Holden are supposed to have tidied it up in this department anyway. But I think the Lacetti is a fair match for Pulsar/Lancer/etc on the road. And these will be the Viva's real competitors.

I haven't looked closely enough at a Kalos to comment, but again, Holden could revise materials quality and tinker with the suspension.

These things might be crap, but they might also be very good.

All I'm saying is that people should wait till they see them before they cast their opinions.
    Astra SRiT

Anonymous
    It's thin, it's high off the ground, it's high

at least with the current SRi barina you can get it handling like a go-kart quite well.

What european aftermarket support will we see for what is essentially a daewoo?

It's as if holden don't really care about the consumer anymore.... which is understandable given the astra and barina are mass produced models for people who don't really care.

I think we should all be happy in knowing we are the last breed of owners that own opels. These cars are not opels, they are fridges. Holden can line them in gold, but they're still going to be daewoos.

OPEL>DAEWOO

Hehe, I drove my gf's uncles lancetti... I thought it's styling was nice for a run around, gave it a punt around the corner, and I'm 95% sure it would have tipped if I was doing 5km/h more then what I was doing... appauling car, appauling standard.... it's a disgrace to all car lovers out there, it's a disgrace to holden to even think of badging these nuggets a holden.

final strike holden... you've made all the wrong descisions.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about X5 and A-Class? Both good handlers, both tall/high. Or at the cheaper end of the scale, the new Swift looks tall and skinny to my eyes. Book/cover.

You ain't gonna get a car exuding passion and flair for less than $20k.

And I agree - Opel will likely be better than Daewoo for quite a while yet. That doesn't necessarily mean Daewoo's are bad in absolute terms. Have you driven a Lancer lately? They would have to be the most disappointing car I've ever driven. The Lacetti is more than a match for those things - and these are what it will compete with. Also remember Holden have altered the set-up for the Viva.

For those who want something a bit more interestingand are prepared to pay a bit extra for the pleasure, theres that other one. I think its referred to as the AH Astra.

Holden is a business, not a charity. Few people bought the Barina at 'full'price'. They aren't going to go on selling Barina's at a loss to keep a handful of Opel-lovers happy.

I think the wrong decision would have been to cling to a range of Opel sourced small cars that they can't make money out of while the large car market is facing a downturn.
    Astra SRiT

Thread Information