Thread: Astra X Treme

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astra X Treme

Found this while researching the OPC Corsa

Looks like a bit of fun.......For those who havent seen it see below..

Click here to enlarge

OPEL PERFORMANCE CENTRE

The powerful coupé rolls on specially developed 20-inch tires (265/30 ZR 20 at the front and 305/25 ZR 20 at the rear). Based on the same engineering as the DTM car, the study not only proves its suitability for the road, it also demonstrates the synergies that are possible between motor racing and series production. "With this super sports car concept, Opel is under-lining its engineering expertise and, at the same time, displaying its commitment to motor sports", says OPC racing manager, Volker Strycek.

The "X-Treme" project took shape under the supervision of Opel's subsidiary company OPC (Opel Performance Center GmbH), which is responsible for the company´s European motor sport activities and also for the development of exclusive, high-performance products. Created in a mere seven weeks as the result of close cooperation with engineers and designers at Opel's International Technical Development Center (ITDC), the Astra Coupé OPC X-Treme embodies, in concentrated and sensational form, the dynamics and engineering expertise that are channeled into all new Opel products. As OPC's general manager and head of motor sport, Volker Strycek says: "The 'X-Treme' demonstrates how Opel can play in the top league!"

The overall concept of this high-tech sports car is very similar to the DTM racing version: the safety bodyshell has gull-wing doors and a spaceframe and uses various high-strength carbon-fibre components. The 4.0-liter V8 engine with four valves per cylinder drives the rear wheels through a six-speed, transaxle gearbox located at the rear and there is double-wishbone suspension at the front and rear with a brake system using carbon-fibre discs at all wheels.

About half of the competition car's components have been modified or redesigned for use on the road car. The body is more harmonious in appearance, with more rounded nose and tail sections, smoother transitions, 20-inch center-lock wheels of new OPC design and a specially-created bright red paint finish. Alcantara fabric, brushed aluminium trim and many details crafted to a very high standard are to be found inside the "X-Treme", which manages to combine sports car character with a distinguished 'techno-look'. The seats, which feature five-point seat belt harnesses, have carbon-fibre reinforced shells just like the DTM racer, although they are more comfortably upholstered for non-competition driving.

The engine has also been modified to better suit road driving conditions. The valve timing and electronic management software have been modified, the compression ratio lowered and the flywheel mass increased in order to give the engine the operating characteristics needed for more day-to-day use. Yet with its power output of 326 kW (444 hp) and an unladen weight of only 1150 kilograms, the Astra Coupé OPC X-Treme is among the very fastest sportscars in terms of performance.

Volker Strycek comments: "Both the media and the public have reacted very enthusiastically to the 'X-Treme'. After its debut in Geneva, we received a number of spontaneous orders. As you can imagine, we are very tempted by the idea of producing a small, exclusive batch of these cars, each 'X-Treme' equipped to customers' personal preferences. This would also be an opportunity to explore new sales and customer service concepts. For instance, buyers might be able to log into the internet and see their cars being built, step by step."
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon it looks f'n ugly!

Looks like a Huyundai riced up to the max!! But that's just my opinion.

I still would those wheels though Click here to enlarge It seems all the OPC cars are using them. The BMW 4wd uses a similar pattern but a bit more "chunkier".

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it does look a bit ricey, I was more impressed by the power to weight figures (about 290kw per tonne! compared to a current porsche 911 turbo has 194kw per tonne) and of course those huge wheels & brakes.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for sure - nothing wrong with performance.

I could live with the styling just to piss off boy-racers at the traffic light grand prix Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the vectra c opc one looks much better
    Phase 1 - Bodykit, Alloys and Lowered --- COMPLETED ---
    Phase 2 - Colour-Coding, Exhuast ---COMPLETED ---

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADdAhMYDMLwM4Bq6X8djNQbmXfBsbxEq0ZWhV2w*xLz5XxZn xfp9ojXXq8LVtgTtdkpTxVIH3anHc*gTNzGKUOyKXHey4AFj53 1J4dJnj21mkTwHgfK7w/opelauscom.gif?dc=4675499169725408923[/img]

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got a picture of the vectra opc?
    is that the diesel one 156kw?
    Currently Playing:
    SUEDE@VBar Sat nights
    Seductive Fridays Monthly@Space
    Goodies@Goodbar Friday nights

Anonymous
    The Vectra DTM Looks Crazy, There is a Pic on here some where of it.
    But that Astra Looks horn, I love it.
    I think we could all live with a Ferrari eatting Astra. Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would not be bad having a 326kW 4.0 litrle V8 in an astra though
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge :P

just leave benhind the over the top body kit

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah this is the vectra. how low do ya wanna go!

Click here to enlarge

pulled from http://www.autoweek.nl/forum/read.ph...171&t=8171

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a reply to my email from OPC about the Xtreme (after I heard a rumour it may go limited production - unfounded of course - I just wanted to shut-up a guy I know - lol):

Dear Mr. Schlipalius,

thank you for your nice e-mail. We are very proud of having fans all over
    the world. Opel Astra Xtreme is unique and at this time there is no series
    produktion intendet. The price would have been circa 500.000€. If there are
    any news about Astra-Xtreme and the other OPC cars you may find them
    directly at our homepage. At this time we are in preparation for the new
    DTM-season. We hope you'll keep your fingers crossed.

Many greetings to Australia
    OPC
    However you can buy a full Xtreme body kit for a laugh (Lumma http://www.lumma-tuning.de/ had one, but the V8? sadly not an option...
    :wink:

Thread Information