Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

extended warranty

Hi ya all, who here has an extended warranty?

I'm curious to know how much it costs and if people think it is worth it (has anyone had cause to use it?)?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

OpelAus Forum Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my warranty i get 3 years and as well as that i also get an extra 3 years on the engine and clutch so 6 in total , this didnt cost me any more. Well it probly was factored into the final price but ...

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont forget that a lot of those extended warranties are conditional upon continuing to pay the dealer extortionate servicing rates, for the period of the extended warrantly.

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus and heres a big plus, the dealer ONLY covers the first $1000 of the repair cost, the rest you will have to pitch in, although you can claim as many times as u please.

i found out the hard way after my first car. gearbox died, got towed to dealer bill ending up costing $2000, but heres the thing, they charged $500 for towing my car.... total trip distance- less then 2kms!!!!!!! :x

im for going my dealer "extended" warranty, i can save more by going 2 a local work shop who spends more time on my car then they did and do an even better job... but thats another story Click here to enlarge

Anonymous
    There are different "grades" of warranty, however the ones thrown in by the dealer are usually not worth the paper they are written on.....limit on $$ claim, must service @ selling dealer, some have excesses, limited parts actually covered etc etc

For a comprehensive warranty matching the manufacturers original expect $900-$1500 for a passenger car.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extended warranties are a complete waste of money.

Just one question.... how many of you would honestly keep the car for 6 years to make ti worthwhile? And how many people do you know that have major costly repairs on a vehicle within the first 6 years?

If hyundai can warranty a car for 100,000km+ what risk do you think they see in the car going ga-boom in the period?

These things are just another revenue input to the dealer like paint protection and rust protection (both equally useless)

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha funny u mention a Hyundai. I had an excel and only after 7 years of having it, did it have a problem.
    Currently Playing:
    SUEDE@VBar Sat nights
    Seductive Fridays Monthly@Space
    Goodies@Goodbar Friday nights

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jass: haha what a coincidence! Click here to enlarge

Anonymous
    I sell warranties...so im gonna stick up for them a bit. Yes the likelyhood of you using it isnt real high...but not having one is a gamble.There have been a few ppl on this board who have had big $$ gearbox failures. also with all the computerised gear in our cars...not Hyundais so bad example Click here to enlarge ....have u any idea how much an efi computer would cost...my estimation would be $2500+ these days....these are replacement items not repairable!how bout electric windows,abs units and sensors...the list goes on....dont ask poor jeep owners about electrics hehehe....

$900-1500 for 3yrs considering above isnt bad($300-500 per year)...but only for the comprehensive warranties.Many also add extras such as towing costs and emergency accomadation 2.

anyhow....my $900-1500 worth Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ash i thought u sold insurance? wen did u get a new job? Click here to enlarge

how much coverage does ur warranty offer? everything? if so thats pretty good, can u give me more details? might be interested

Thread Information