Thread: New but old

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New but old

Hi All,

I've just rejoined OpelAUS forum after a break(!) of 15 years. I live near Maitland NSW, over the last 3 years weve been a VW family (I love DSG). I work in Dealership land in Finance.

I've had 3 Astra's over the years, original 2000 Astra City which I slightly modified (exhaust, suspension, wheels and pod filter hahaha)
    DSCN0015.jpg

, next was my Arden Blue SRi Turbo (Vauxhall badges Click here to enlarge )
    DSCN0335.jpg

and then an AH SRi
    R0013456.jpg.

I've just placed a holding deposit on an Arden Blue SRi T just as a run-around as Im only travelling limited KM way down from the 40000km I did last year. Overall its in good condition for its age, but I think a previous owner has upped the boost, as its reporting on the boost gauge up to about 18psi at times.

Anyway, thats about it for now

cyas
    Ashley
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome Ashley, would love to know and see more of the new car mate.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to OA
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guy and Dutchy. Ill post some details when Ive collected it - scheduled for Monday.

Itll need a little work, the timing belt is almost an immediate - Ive got the parts just gotto get a mechanic to fit it. The interior is in excellent condition for its age....thats where I spend most of the time anyway Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the car now Click here to enlarge

The exterior is bog standard (which I love anyway). It needs a bit of paint restoration, especially the roof where the clear-coat has deteriorated - thinking I might just wrap the roof. The wheels have Opel logos, so I'm on the search for a front Opel grill and rear Opel badge. No luck on Ebay yet. The interior is in really good condition for its age, just alot of wear on the drivers side seat back.

Ill have to find someone to look at the car, its been modified. It has a 3 inch mandrel exhaust, but....its boosting well above standard. The fitted boost gauge reports boost of up to 18psi, but confusingly the torque app via OBD reports boosting up about 28psi. Either way, its easily overwhelming the 30% tread on the front Khumo tyres. I've ordered some Potenzas to help alleviate that, but I'd rather the boost be wound down a bit. I'm no longer the boy racer I was Click here to enlarge Curiously as best I can tell all the induction hoses look standard to me, can anyone recommend a replacement kit (dont know if I would just have to get generic parts and fit them now the car is too old?). Previous owner fitted some EBD Yellowstuff and slotted/dimpled rotors which is nice Click here to enlarge

Ill do a search on the forum in a moment, but anyone have any tips on removing the headlight unit? I suspect its a bumper off job.

82873346_10155930668947609_8298023789652869120_o.jpg

83898455_10155930669637609_7354645677764247552_o.jpg
    Last edited by voyager1701e; 29th May 2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling :)

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Car looks great mate. Always loved these and still do. It wouldn't be boosting that much unless you have at least a remap. Can you post a picture of the engine bay ?
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    Car looks great mate. Always loved these and still do. It wouldn't be boosting that much unless you have at least a remap. Can you post a picture of the engine bay ?
    I haven't had one for so long, and I know the front tyres need attention - but I'm pretty sure there wasn't the same issue of traction with my original TS Turbo compared to this one. As you said Dutchy, I know to play with boost on these you have to use electronics so I'm not sure visually boost mods would be identifiable. Despite the louder exhaust, I am sure I can hear the release of boost pressure on throttle modulation under load and sometimes gear changes (I would normally say from the "blow off vale", but I'm not sure this car has one).

Here are 2 photos that may point to what you are interested in seeing? I'm really not too technical, but it all looks pretty standard under the bonnet. Other than the exhaust, and the front pads (and suspecting the boost is higher than standard), nothing else seems modified.

IMG_20200530_091528.jpg

IMG_20200530_091457.jpg

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wondering if your actuator (canister looking thing in the top picture) would actually be functioning correctly as it looks like it can't open pushing against that thread in front of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    wondering if your actuator (canister looking thing in the top picture) would actually be functioning correctly as it looks like it can't open pushing against that thread in front of it.

Yeah I see what you mean from the image, though it may just be the photo angle. Ill check out the clearance around the actuator pivot on the turbo this evening when I'm home.

Been doing a bit of reading about the Torque app - may have been some settings that were wrong causing it to show a higher reading, so I'll check them out tonight. I've found that some cars (not many) will report the actual boost + atmospheric pressure - although Mitsubishi is the only constantly mentioned model to do this....but its just very close to what torque reported with that figure (18+14 = 32, I think Torque reported almost 30 - I'm thinking that is just co-incidence).

I think factory standard is max at about 12-13 psi right? Ill do some googling to see what remaps take it to about 18 psi, I'm starting to believe the boost gauge is the accurate reading and it the car is remapped, (boost gauge is topping out at about 18 psi - but it gets there so quickly its time to change gears before you know it LOL). Once I get satisfied with the accuracy of Torque, Ill try log the min and max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a closer look at the actuator, and there is clear evidence it is impacting what looks to be an expandable exhaust clamp between the turbo and the start of the exhaust - so well spotted Dutchy! When I have more time Ill put a dab of paint on that spot to see if its still impacting, hopefully the clamp is easy to rotate a few degrees if thats the case

IMG_20200601_173620a.jpg

IMG_20200601_173620.jpg
    Ash
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2003 TS Turbo in Arden Blue
    The others '18 Tiguan 132 and '17 Escape Diesel

Thread Information