I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cylinder heads, swap-able to other engine blocks? All have same head gaskets.....

My engine is a 2.2L C22NE. It's off a Holden Rodeo, I'm in Australia.

I noticed that the cylinder head gasket that my engine uses also suit other engines. Here is the list below that I have found so far.

C22ne - my motor

18LE
    C20NE
    20JD
    X20SE

My engine is a belt driven SOHC engine.

If the head gaskets are the same, what are the chances that a better cylinder head from another engine might fit my engine?
    Same with internal parts. I only have cast pistons, but would love to get some forged pistons and stronger conrods.

Peter
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by apples Click here to enlarge
    My engine is a 2.2L C22NE. It's off a Holden Rodeo, I'm in Australia.

I noticed that the cylinder head gasket that my engine uses also suit other engines. Here is the list below that I have found so far.

C22ne - my motor

18LE
    C20NE
    20JD
    X20SE

My engine is a belt driven SOHC engine.

If the head gaskets are the same, what are the chances that a better cylinder head from another engine might fit my engine?
    Same with internal parts. I only have cast pistons, but would love to get some forged pistons and stronger conrods.

Peter
    18LE is the LB/LD Astra/N13 Pulsar engine, C20NE is early SOHC Calibra, 20JD is the Camira JD 2.0 engine and the X20SE engine I believe was used in the Holden/Isuzu Frontera. All these engines are GM Family II engines and are all SOHC. It's possible that a C20XE or C20LET head may fit (both are DOHC, the LET is the turbo head, but very hard to find in Australia, the XE head is off the early DOHC 2.0 Calibra), just as long as you get the supporting bits to go with them. Also, the C20XE/LET often used distributors for spark ignition and where these would mount, foul on the firewall in a RWD engine bay. Later heads from the X20XEV, C20SEL, C22SEL and Z20LEx engines may also fit on (X20XEV is late Calibra 2.0 engine, C20SEL/C22SEL are JR/JS Vectra engines and the Z20LEx is the turbo Astra engines).

Only thing is, I don't know if the external dimensions of the C22NE block are different than those of the other Family II engines (ie taller or wider block), but if they are, you're going to need to work out if you need a longer timing belt. Forged pistons, C20LET/Z20LET pistons might work, as they're all 86mm bores. Rods, I don't know how you'd go. 2.0 rods are 143mm long, 2.2 rods are 148mm. However, apparently big end bearings are the same across the 2.0 and 2.2s.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Chris, you know your stuff....

C20LET/Z20LET pistons might work, as they're all 86mm bores. Rods, I don't know how you'd go. 2.0 rods are 143mm long, 2.2 rods are 148mm. However, apparently big end bearings are the same across the 2.0 and 2.2s.

That is what I have been looking into. I suspect that I have 148mm conrods. I have a 94.6mm stroke and some websites that sell parts mention the 94mm crank uses the 148mm rods, but I am not 100% sure. I really would have to pull it all apart to find out the dimensions of everything first, then put it all back together again as it's a daily driver. The holden astra has the c20let engine I think I saw. Not that I need the twin cam head yet. Getting the short block sorted first would be the priority first.

I think my block will be a bit taller and slightly wider.

C20let pistons I think might work, I think they have the same compression height of around the 30mm mark. My stock pistons need to be heated up in an oil bath to remove/replace looking at the manual. Do you know if the C20Let pistons are the same? And my gudgeon pin hole is 21mm I think.

Thread Information