OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Engine issues, not sure which direction to go

Hey everyone

Firstly, apologies for mainly only popping in when I'm having trouble. If I had the ability to tweak my car regularly as a hobby, I'd be in much more often. Alas, currently, I don't.

Instead, I've got engine issues. Almost certainly it's related to the long-term loose (and very noisy) timing chain which I know some dedicated, confident people can replace themselves, DIY style with a kit. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people ATM.

So I get this shuddering under load when warming up or if I need to push it a little harder. Soon as I stop and restart the engine ("Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Click here to enlarge!) , it's fine.

Think I've had this in the past and I'm definitely overdue for a service which I've booked for Tuesday. Hoping it's just coil pack or spark plugs, maybe something to do with timing / tune.

The place I'm taking it for a tune says they basically won't do the timing chain, even if I ask, though. Potential can of worms and skyrocketing costs they reckon. Which I can understand.

Thing is, I really like this car in that it's been my best friend for years through some very dark times. I want to keep it running but also get rid of that "is it a diesel?" timing chain noise.

With Melbourne's current mad heatwave, I can't be without the car for long and loaners might be tricky but possible.

Options I'm mulling include:

- A fully reconditioned engine (assuming they are available)
    - Trying elsewhere to get the timing chain done
    - Maybe a second-hand engine

I'm sure similar issues like this have come up for others. Not saying there's any easy answers, especially with my cash limits.

Anyone got some advice they think could help?

Thanks for reading and your time.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Last edited by pd-xc-72464118; 24th November 2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe myself

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=pd-xc-72464118;890786]Hey everyone

Firstly, apologies for mainly only popping in when I'm having trouble. If I had the ability to tweak my car regularly as a hobby, I'd be in much more often. Alas, currently, I don't.

Instead, I've got engine issues. Almost certainly it's related to the long-term loose (and very noisy) timing chain which I know some dedicated, confident people can replace themselves, DIY style with a kit. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people ATM.

So I get this shuddering under load when warming up or if I need to push it a little harder. Soon as I stop and restart the engine ("Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Click here to enlarge!) , it's fine.

Think I've had this in the past and I'm definitely overdue for a service which I've booked for Tuesday. Hoping it's just coil pack or spark plugs, maybe something to do with timing / tune.

The place I'm taking it for a tune says they basically won't do the timing chain, even if I ask, though. Potential can of worms and skyrocketing costs they reckon. Which I can understand.

Thing is, I really like this car in that it's been my best friend for years through some very dark times. I want to keep it running but also get rid of that "is it a diesel?" timing chain noise.

With Melbourne's current mad heatwave, I can't be without the car for long and loaners might be tricky but possible.

Options I'm mulling include:

- A fully reconditioned engine (assuming they are available)
    - Trying elsewhere to get the timing chain done
    - Maybe a second-hand engine

I'm sure similar issues like this have come up for others. Not saying there's any easy answers, especially with my cash limits.

Anyone got some advice they think could help?

Thanks for reading and your time.[/QUOTE @guy 27 knows all about these and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @dutchy. Yeah @guy_27 is a legend. I met him in the most legendary scenario ... he voluntarily came around to look at my beloved Corsarina! We talked about options then, but legends are often very busy / popular Click here to enlarge Was planning nuptuals at the time, IIRC, and had more on his agenda if that wasn't enough! Still, maybe things have slowed down for him? Hint, hint @guy_27 ? Click here to enlarge LOL

I'd personally be willing to pay a premium for legendary help. Is he still in Melbourne?

How goes it @guy_27 ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pd-xc-72464118 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks @dutchy. Yeah @guy_27 is a legend. I met him in the most legendary scenario ... he voluntarily came around to look at my beloved Corsarina! We talked about options then, but legends are often very busy / popular Click here to enlarge Was planning nuptuals at the time, IIRC, and had more on his agenda if that wasn't enough! Still, maybe things have slowed down for him? Hint, hint @guy_27 ? Click here to enlarge LOL

I'd personally be willing to pay a premium for legendary help. Is he still in Melbourne?

How goes it @guy_27 ?
    Agreed Guy_27 helped me out heaps in the past.
    Are you now in Melbourne guy_27?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit - intelligence is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK he was based in Melbourne for a while. Texted him earlier today but gurus are very busy so no response just yet Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I'm still in Melbourne. I'll give you a call later today

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    I'm still in Melbourne. I'll give you a call later today
    Woohoo! Thanks. That'd be great. I've my niece's 2nd birthday today so I am taking my Corsarina down the Monash. Bit worried but pumped some BP Ultimate in as a small minor defensive measure and I'm going to take it pretty easy where I can. That said, the Monash is such a gravel pit in places ATM, might come back with suspension damage Click here to enlarge

Thread Information