I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convertible Astra Turbo Owner from Melbourne

Hey all! I've had my Astra for a year and a half now, it's my first car and I've been lurking forums ever since I had my first issue with the car, which was about a year and a half ago 🙃. Can't remember what it was, but having no knowledge or understanding of cars, I have to say it's been quite a ride and I've learned a lot. It's been burning oil since I've owned it (at "116,000"km), one of the exhaust manifold studs broke off making my car sound like a diesel, one of the oil lines for the roof ruptured and sprayed oil everywhere, the alternator died, had misfiring issues from a bad coil pack, bad aircon clutch coil for the compressor and more... all that I fixed mostly on my own thanks to you guys in the forums! Since nobody has posted an entire guide on how to rebuild a zlet engine though, I think she'll continue to smoke until I have the money to pay somebody to fix her up. Not sure if I'll go down the route of big power increases with the astra or not at this stage but I would like to do the 1.8 airbox mod for some extra noise but I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing with the pcv system and how I'll install it into a silicon hose. Getting the vxr turbo may also be a necessity in the near future too since we found a bit of play in the turbine wheel and from what I've seen they're easier to source than the standard zlet turbos and are more fun anyway.
    Anyways, in short, huge thank you to all the active and past members who made OpelAus what it is.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The time the manifold stud broke and had to pull everything out to drill out the broken stud and a photo with the car intact next to my mate's Impreza. Funny story, I cross threaded one of the new studs when installing it and couldn't be bothered fixing it so it's actually currently missing one still but it's working fine without it currently. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome then mate. Have a look at the for sale section where xplosv57 is selling a complete zlet engine. He also got an eds ipf which, if you get an eds tuning license, you can use to update the map on your car. This will give you all the power increase you need for now. The airbox mod, you must mean the cdti box swap.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers! I've pm'd him. I wouldn't push my current engine any more than what it's going through at the moment considering its current condition. I go though about 7L of oil between changes at 10,000km intervals and tried all sorts of thicknesses and additives. Symptoms point to the piston rings.
    As for the airbox I thought you could swap in the 2.2 or 1.8 airbox and get the same effect? I've seen it in other forums before I think.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Simonzhan Click here to enlarge
    Cheers! I've pm'd him. I wouldn't push my current engine any more than what it's going through at the moment considering its current condition. I go though about 7L of oil between changes at 10,000km intervals and tried all sorts of thicknesses and additives. Symptoms point to the piston rings.
    As for the airbox I thought you could swap in the 2.2 or 1.8 airbox and get the same effect? I've seen it in other forums before I think.

Could be a number of things burning the oil, turbo, valve stem seals, rings.

As for the airbox mod. You want either the 1.9l diesel airbox or the 2.2l petrol airbox for direct route/crossover delete

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been told yesterday that fitting a catch can to handle the pcv might help reduce oil consumption so I'm keen to give that a go

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Simonzhan Click here to enlarge
    I've actually been told yesterday that fitting a catch can to handle the pcv might help reduce oil consumption so I'm keen to give that a go

Using 7L in between 10k changes is quite a lot mate. Don't think a catch can will sort your issue.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be compression testing the motor and checking how much oil is in the intercooling pipework. What do your plugs look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information