OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L ED Interior Light Problem

Hey Guys.

I went ahead & got some LED festoon globes to put in the front, side & boot, to change them over to LED.
    Easy enough to do. I put them in yesterday arvo when they arrived in the post.
    All went well & I actually prefer the white light that the LED's give off.

Now here is my problem. With the door closed, the lights still give of some light. So I got out my multimeter.
    With the door open or the light switch pulled out. It gives off 12v. As it should.
    Now with the door closed & the switch pushed back in. I get a constant 7v. Hence why there is still some light there.
    Has anyone else put in LED's & NOT have this problem? I have googled & googled but can't find anyone else with this problem.

Any hints at what to look for. The normal filament globes don't give any light what-so-ever

Cheers
    Pete
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    later models had a diode on the system to prevent this happening.

Just splice in a diode on the grey/yellow wire coming up the a pillar on the passenger side.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the reply.
    I had a look at the wires coming up the passenger pillar.
    All iv'e got coming up are 3 x Grey, 3 x Red, 2 x Brown, 2 x Red/Yellow

I should also say its a 2001 TS City. The rear lights also have a reading of 7.6v when door is closed

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    one of the greys should have a yellow stripe on it.
    otherwise you can always put it in just before the front light you should see it there as well. I have done it in both locations but in the a pillar is factory location.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    OEM+

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out & checked again. All 3 Grey wires are completely Grey. No stripe on any of them.
    But what you are referring to is the Grey wire going the the lamp holder? Which I can do a continuity test to find the one in the pillar

Also with a bit more Googling. It's just not a Astra problem. Quite a few other car makes do exactly the same thing.
    Though there fix is to put a 1k ohm resister across the contacts where the globe clips in.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Maybe they put the yellow stripe on the later models.
    If you pop it on the one going to the front lamp holder that should do they job

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    OEM+

Thread Information