Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New VXR Owner - South Australia (another one) :-) Is my car an Opel???

Hi guys, this maybe a short-lived forum participation. I've just purchased a 'Holden' 2015 Astra VXR. I guess the question is if this is the correct forum to be on? I'm pretty confused about the whole VXR/OPC thing. I thought the car was a german built Opel imported by GM after they decided to drop the Opel thing a couple of years ago. I find it confusing that they call the Astra a VXR rather than an OPC given the whole Vauxhall/Opel thing.

I really wanted to rebadge the car back to original Opel badges but not sure if that's kosher or not. Happy to hear your comments.

For the other SA members I'm up in Gawler. Really love this car ... the significant other is a Megane Cup 250.

A couple of piccies of my ride. I've made some colour changes to roof, grill, and interior bits:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

regards, Graham
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes your car is an Opel and yes it's bloody confusing lol.

OPC = Opel
    VXR = Vauxhall
    HSV = Holden

You will find that most people will rebadge the car to it's heritage and throw on Opel badges.

BTW Welcome to the Forum! Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Graham. As Poita said you got an Opel built car (Astra OPC), imported by Holden and rebadged by Holden. I guess you could put Opel badges back on if you want and it would be a fairly easy swap. Have a look on Gumtree as there are some wreckers that have Opel Astra OPC's in stock. Also members on the Opel forums in Holland and Germany are always willing to swap their Opel badges for Holden badges but postage is always a killer.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome guys and the confirmation that I'm not the only confused noob ��.
    Dutchie...I understand you know something about locating short shifters for this car....any advice would be appreciated.

Jonesy

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yes, this link and you obviously do not have to pay the gst (called BTW)
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same year car and initially thought of rebadging back to the Opel brand.

But on further thought, for resale this may not be a good idea. Most people looking to buy secondhand will pickup that Opel pulled out of australia circa 2013, and having your car designated as such could raise suspicion. Additionally, people who are really up to speed will see your car as an opel, and think it's 2 years older than it is, iirc the 2015 models did receive some upgrades over the 2013 models.

It's personal choice, but imo most people will relate to the australian vxr badge as being top of the line, and not have a clue about the opc badge, even though it's the same thing.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome along Graham. I reckon I saw you post in SA Hot Hatches the other day. I'm actually down in Burton, was actually born in Gawler some near on 37 years ago and know the area fairly well too.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome along graham! nice looking ride you have there!

Thread Information