Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IT's OFFICIAL. OPEL- VAUXHALL. SOLD TO FRENCH GIANT PSA

As the title says.
    GM has sold off Opel & Vauxhall to PSA, parent company of Peugeot and Citroen.

Thoughts on what, if any changes to the current Opel line up of cars. Specially the ones now imported here under the Holden name??

Story from Wheels here : https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...odore-in-doubt
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think any current model change will happen under the Vauxhall and Opel names. Holden however I can't see having the models long unless an agreement is made to say that the current models can remain.
    I think it seriously brings in to question Holden's future as a whole. I think 2/3rds of those models were being sourced from Opel which no longer being GM is going to cause some issues.
    I think it pretty much rules out the majority of their RHD Market as well so they would have to do some rnd to convert other LHD models to RHD.

I can't see Holden lasting more than 5-10 years now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yup official. Good I'd say. At least they'll (try) keep the factories going and the people employed. Could not be said under GM. Hope the future cars will do well for Holden too as it's in everyones benefit.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally can't see, after the current line up of Opel cars are going to continue when they are due for replacement.
    You would think that with Holden & Opel being owned by GM. The cars would be cheaper to make & import here for Holden. IE: Family type discount.
    For Holden to do a new contract with PSA, you would think the cars would become more expensive for Holden to buy.
    Which would then place the cars in a more premium price point in the market. Which I can't see the Australian buyer accepting.

Then Holden would have to turn back to the GM branded cars, more likely coming out of GM Korea. IE: Barina, Cruze & Malibu
    I can see Holden to remain viable in Australia to become similar to what Kia & Hyundai are. Price leading cars.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Combined psa opel will make more cars so it would be reasonable to assume that prices could be somewhat lower. Add to that psa would not want this venture to fail so my guess is they would be offering competitive cars. Guess only time will tell. No word though on the OPC part - future of the company....

Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So holdens future locked in for at least 5 years.

Also PSA have a mid sized platform for their 308 which accommodates fwd and AWD so while there's no mention of OPC products. And certainly no current shape Astra OPC. But should it continue, there's a chance of a AWD astra OPC

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a lot of different stories and opinions. I do like the thought of an awd Astra though 😁

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no need for an awd variant at the moment imo. The current range of fwd's are handling the power and road conditions extremely well. Fulltime awd is a bit of a gimmick on family cars and does not negate poor driving skill or lack of judgement in bad conditions. Couple that with the likelyhood that most people who buy an awd road car are going to put cheap tyres on after their decent oem set wear out, means there is little benefit to be had overall.

Having said that, if engines continue to become more powerful in small cars (ie getting upwards of 200+kw on tap as standard in a fwd vehicle) it may be necessary to reconsider this for safety reasons. By then however there will most likely be a myriad of active safety features to keep drivers out of trouble.

As for holden, will be interesting to see, is the 2017/18 opc going ahead?

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not so much a safety or need for it it's more so to compete with the rest of the hot hatches. All brands bar Renault and Opel now offer an AWD turbo 4 or 5 or in BMW's case a 6. So really to just be competitive they need to look at a range topping AWD variant.
    Unfortunately yes your more than likely right. Your everyday driver would just slap whatever is cheapest on and the cars do handle the power through the front without too much hassle. But with likely increases in power and the competition offering an AWD system that leave you behind at the line it's hard to imagine them not looking into it.

All that said. There hasn't been any talk that I have heard of since early days about an OPC.

Was originally talk about a GSi fwd turbo and a hi Po OPC/VXR model. But I haven't seen any new information

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.. we may have to rename the forum PeugeotAus then? Click here to enlarge

Will be interesting to see if they keep the OPC division which is a direct competitor with the megane/clio etc.

Would be sad to see the J be the last vxr in production :/

Thread Information