Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Astra TS Ignition Barrel

    Hi, kind of stuck as to where to look for a replacement ignition barrel for a Holden Astra TS 2005 and would appreciate any suggestions on websites to look at. The number on the barrel is 13 168 306 3579 3.

    Recently I had to get the ignition switch replaced due to the air con not kicking in. Fixed that problem and then the ignition barrel shat itself. (The metal ramp thing broke and the spring popped out)

    I've looked everywhere I can think to (ebay, and multiple google searches) but have failed to find one. Holden have given me a price to get a genuine one, but I would really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that sold them (doesn't have to be genuine).

    At this stage I'm thinking I will either have to go genuine, or find one at a wreckers.

    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

  2. #2
    OpelAus Enthusiast Raisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,268
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @guy_27 helped me out with one when mine broke in my Astra a couple of years back. Not sure if he has any more available.

    Rather than swapping all the locks around the car I opted instead to just swap the tumblers over from the broken barrel to the replacement. I made a video when I did it if you are interested. It's an easy process and saves having to pull the door and boot locks to swap keys.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk477RIrpYw

  3. #3
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Raisin Click here to enlarge
    @guy_27 helped me out with one when mine broke in my Astra a couple of years back. Not sure if he has any more available.

    Rather than swapping all the locks around the car I opted instead to just swap the tumblers over from the broken barrel to the replacement. I made a video when I did it if you are interested. It's an easy process and saves having to pull the door and boot locks to swap keys.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk477RIrpYw
    Hey thanks,

    Yeah my mechanic told me that you can change the tumblers over. It's just a shame they're so hard to find the right barrel.

    I might try and get one from a wrecker, beats paying $400 for a genuine one.

  4. #4
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I bought a second hand barrel from a wreckers, was told it will fit my car (part number didn't match, but I went with their word).

    Not sure if this is a huge stuff up or not. I've ended up getting the part inside the cylinder into the new one, but it won't turn. Anyone got a suggestion? The key goes in but can wriggle it the littlest amount of room.

  5. #5
    OpelAus Enthusiast Raisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,268
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazyperson101 Click here to enlarge
    Okay, so I bought a second hand barrel from a wreckers, was told it will fit my car (part number didn't match, but I went with their word).

    Not sure if this is a huge stuff up or not. I've ended up getting the part inside the cylinder into the new one, but it won't turn. Anyone got a suggestion? The key goes in but can wriggle it the littlest amount of room.
    Are you sure you got all the tumblers swapped over in the correct order and orientation?

  6. #6
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Raisin Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure you got all the tumblers swapped over in the correct order and orientation?
    Hey, I ended up going genuine in order to get it all fixed.

    Ran into some more problems afterwards regarding the stereo, windows and mirrors (all electric).

    Apparently it's not linked to the ignition switch, but worked fine beforehand. They ended up changing what fuses they ran off of and that fixed it.

    Hopefully that's the end of my problems for quite a while now!

    Thanks for your help, this forum provides so much information I haven't found anywhere else regarding an Astra.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •