I'm new here, please be nice smart770's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opel Astra J Series 2012 Questions.....

Hi All,
    A few questions which I'd really appreciate help/advice/direction on. Thanks.
    Re Astra J Series Sport 1.6l Turbo model. About 47K on clock.

1) Had my 4 brakes redone (new pads and discs) less than 6 mths ago and they are stopping ok, but they have a little annoying squeak. Not too loud. How to fix? or just take back to mechanic who fitted.

2) The engine is playing up. On hard acceleration, the cars feels like it is jerking a bit. Certainly not as smooth as I recall. Only just started. I recently pushed it and the engine service lights came on for a bit and then went off. Driving 'normally' it seems ok. I need a trustworthy Melb based mechanic who knows Opel cars. Please help. Holden are too expensive, but I may have to head there. I also had issues with the engine coolant warning light coming on re low coolant. I had this 'fixed' with new pipes and checked for leaks. Nothing.....but the light still kept coming on. The mechanic (who I don't/won't go back to) disconnected the warning light sensor under the overflow bottle. Yes, I know not good....I can only think of replacing the coolant bottle. He replaced the sensor I think and still issues.
    So I need a good mechanic. Reasonably priced...thx. Click here to enlarge

3) Lastly, I need a new rear seatbelt webbing part, apparently! It has the smallest of nicks in it from closing the seat with the belt in the latch by mistake. Apparently this is unroadworthy. Holden says $300 for the whole belt unit and $300 to fit. Come on.... 'Seatbeltking' in Mulgrave is good. But they won't fit it. About $115.
    Any other suggestions welcome.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for any help/advice.

Steve
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Steve,

I have the Astra J 1.6 Turbo Select sports tourer (40k on the clock) so can share my experience and knowledge with this car.

1. I'd say take it back to the mechanic who fitted it. What brakes (pads and discs) did you replace it with? It may also be the type of pad compound you used? I replaced those as well but got DBA T2 front rotors and DBA OEM equivalent rears with QFM hpx (ceramic) pads. They are quiet and a whole lot less dust the the originals.

2. I had a very similar experience on hesitation on hard acceleration, which eventually lead to service light - using my Bluetooth OBD reader it was an engine misfire in one of the cylinders. Reading various forums - the most common cause is a faulty coil pack (the part itself is not too expensive - hopefully hasn't caused more damage elsewhere). Read here for similar experiences of a couple of owners in this forum including myself on that and what was done - http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...ra-1-6T-Issues

The only time I got coolant low messages is when I parked the car on an incline for a couple of hours - it took a while to disappear. Also read somewhere that the floater sensor maybe faulty or have a design flaw to begin with.

The seatbelt webbing part itself is not expensive (ebay have like $20), so no one can just replace that part and refit with existing buckles?

Regards,
    Sanjay
    2013 Astra Sports Tourer. 1.6T. Auto. Phantom Grey. GlossBlack Vinyl Roof, Dark Streetlegal tints, OEM 19 wheels, LED: DRLs; H7 low beams; foglights; plate lights; interior lights, Shark fin FM aerial, Smoked side repeaters + chrome bulbs, OEM glovebox shelf, OEM sunglass holder, OEM Astra Mats, EDS phase 1 tune, Pipercross Panel Filter, Aluminium sport pedals, DBA T2 brake rotors, turbosmart BOV
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...-Sports-Tourer

Thread Information