I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying an Astra?

Hey everyone,
    I have always been a car guy, and in the future I am hoping to upgrade my Focus Sport to something a bit more special, powerful, fun etc. Obvious choice would be a Focus ST, but I have always loved the look of the Opel OPC and Astra VXR since they came here, big wheels, wide body, awesome power etc. I test drove an Astra VXR the other day and loved every second of it. So I am wondering if there is any major problems I should know about? I had a 2001 Astra many years ago and I had my fair share of problems with it. I am curious to know if the new ones are more reliable?
    Looking under the bonnet it looks to be the same Ecotec motor with a turbo. Do they have a timing belt?

Thanks for any replies. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own one but there is a lot of conversation regarding soft paint / paint chipping. Uk cars had a recall but holden don't acknowledge the problen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking the turbo variants haven't really had many issues apart from the paint being very prone to stone chips. the mk5 and mk6 are known to have some gearbox issues but seems to very much be the luck of the draw and have some noises in 1st 5th and 6th when they are starting to need attention as well as slight movement in first in take off.
    Apart from that the Opel version of the mk6 had some software related issues with its gps systems but I believe an update cane through for that and the Holden vxr version has the new mylink which I haven't seen any complaints about as yet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds pretty good. Focus is shocking for stone chips as well. Every drive on the highway I come back with more and more. At least I'd be use to it. Click here to enlarge

Thanks again. Click here to enlarge

Thread Information