Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb OBD2 "Car Tune" Kickstarter

Hi Everyone,
    I saw this on Kickstarter today. I think it is a really interesting concept but doubt if it is possible to do it in any useful/effective way. What do others think?

I am not looking for an opinion on whether I should buy it but thought it would be interesting to discuss here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-c/description

Thanks.
    Haroon
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Take care,
    Haroon

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in seeing how the "AI" can automatically map your car. Something just sounds suss about it.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Interested too but it looks like yet another expensive version of the resistor cheater box. No way itll be able to automatically update the map of your car with a tuned version. The monitoring features are similar to free torque app with a cheap elm bt dingle dangle dongle thingy at 1/50 of the price. May improve throttle response giving a false feeling of any power increase. I have my doubts too but time will tell.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

I'm new here, please be nice BenZOPC's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a quick look and loved the idea. This thing just makes sense. No reason it can't be making minor adjustments ongoing and monitoring effects through the other sensors provided via ODB then working out it's own more optimised for your car custom adjustment map. So no, not a cheap ebay resistor device at all.

Yes the monitoring software is as he points out in the kickstarter listing can be any ODB software of which there are many as he says. They used Dash Command in testing.

Well done I say.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah definitely very interesting. I'm going to keep an eye on it to see what more information he puts up and how he answers new questions from people.

I think that it should be possible to modify a few main things to improve power while having set parameters for other things so it is still safe. This can allow for a slight 'custom' side to it as every car runs differently depending on fuel, air temp, age etc.
    Take care,
    Haroon

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where I find this hard to believe is simply in how the system would make adjustments. Anybody who has ever used an OBDII flash tuning tool such as the EDS IPF or Bluefin, etc. will know this one fact: Flashing a new map takes on average between 10-15 mins. This isn't because the programmers themselves are slow, but it's the communication protocol contained within the ECU. I just don't see how you can do any form of live mapping when it would take 10-15 mins each time to flash a new change to the ECU. Even the custom tuners use tools that are bound by these limitations too.

So, yeah I'll remain skeptical on this until they can prove me wrong otherwise. In the meantime, I'm happy with the EDS IPF for my tuning needs. At least there I can rely on the expertise of tuners that have not only developed the mods necessary, but have also spent the time on the dyno to provide safe and effective tunes.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it flashes at all. He mentions intercept in one place in the description. The following link has some decent information about what this is. I am thinking that this what he is doing but he is claiming that his programming is more intelligent than any existing product using this. I think this is also why he says that as soon as you unplug the device the ecu is completely normal again.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...rt-12&A=113167
    Take care,
    Haroon

I'm new here, please be nice BenZOPC's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems right. If you can remove it and the ecu is normal again it can't have written anything to the ecu. If I hadn't just bought and installed the Bluespark unit I probably would jump on this myself.. That is, if I could bring myself to wait. Patience is not one of my strong points.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't make any sense to me, I fairly sure the data from the obd plug is from the ecu so altering any data at the obd plug would do nothing. The way a interceptor works is it alters the input signal before it enters the ecu or after the Ecu on outputs by splicing into the wiring harness. The only thing I can think it could do is keep resetting the adapts/trim but that does FA really.

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys, Aaron from Berry Robotics here. Just though id pop in an help out anyway I can. @dutchy: Its no lie, the monitoring features really are nothing out of the ordinary using ELM Bluetooth technology, though its not quite the 'cheap' dongle, using a faster processor speed and much more reliable circuitry then $15 Chinese devices. A hidden feature for the Bluetooth connection is that the re-tune module will be able to accept firmware updates in the future if required.

I understand that having a project through Kickstarter allows consumers to have an in depth, manufacturing story of the product with a great perspective on design which I believe we have fulfilled quite well on the campaign page. Unfortunately due to the nature of the product, there is only so much information I can release without compromising the architecture of the circuitry and software which remains intellectual property. I completely understand there is ALWAYS going to be sceptics and some people who will flat out refuse to accept any new invention, because I'm one of them! There is a lot of profitable junk that gets released every year through fantastic marketing and manipulative selling techniques.

What I will emphasis is that I have developed an amazing product that I'm very proud to back and I will be happy to help anyone understand the best I can without compromising the integrity of its functionality.

If anyone has any direct questions for me I will be happy to assist any way I can over here. As you could imagine its an extremely busy time at Berry Robotics at the moment so please allow up to a day or 2 for a reply.

Best Regards,
    Aaron

Thread Information