Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2003 Holden Combo with Z16SE coversion to Z18XE - Clear advice needed please,.o

Hi All,

No sure if its just me but ive read hours and hours of material on this site regarding combo engine conversions and I either cant find any definitive answers on the subject... or is it me and at the young age of 45 ive aquired dementia and not seeing some thing obvious?

This is my situation. Im a self employed car detailer. starting life over again at 45 after giving my lifes possessions to an ex wife. Business is good but money is tight and to compound my problems im told the existing Z16SE is in need of a rebuild. I managed to buy a 2001 SRI Barina for not very much at all. The ECU was dead. I took a punt, bought the car, got it to my holden dealership and today after handing over $980. I got a fully working, SRI that got a clean bill of health. Wow I had no idea they were that punchy.. I guess what isnt when you drive a SOHC piece of crap Z16se.

Now my question. Ive got the donor car and presumably everything I need. Is this a straight forward conversion? ei rape the SRI for everything its got and transplant it into the combo without any major organ rejection issues thats going to blow out costs etc.

Any real factual info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance all.

Denis
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OpelAus. The SRi's are great little cars with these 1.8s eh?

@chris_r should be able to give you some info there or maybe @guy 27

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It can be done fairly easy and you pretty much have everything you need to do it with the donor car. I am currently at work this very minute, but I will reply with more details when I get home.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Raisin Click here to enlarge
    Welcome to OpelAus. The SRi's are great little cars with these 1.8s eh?

@chris_r should be able to give you some info there or maybe @guy 27
    Thanks for the quick reply Mate. yup agree SRI's are fun and Im extremely hopefull it will be the perfect donor car. Ive already spent a bunch of time fixing up the Combo, rubbed it all back, fixed all the dents, all primed up and ready for colour. Trying very hard to turn a devastation situation into a major positive. Hence.. keep the car, give it a nice new asthetic makeover and put something under the bonnet that is a please to drive rather than a chore.

thanks Again.

I shall follow the trail till I find the holy grail or die trying Click here to enlarge

bloody hell. Thanks Chris. I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago. Look forward to hearing from you.

(does Irish jig)

bloody hell. Thanks Chris. I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago. Look forward to hearing from you.

(does Irish jig)
    Last edited by [email protected]; 21st January 2015 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its going to be quite easy for you having a complete donor car. Basically a case of stripping the van bare, stripping the sri and then transplanting everything into the van. Could potentially be done in a weekend, depending on how mechanically minded you are and how quick you work.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    Its going to be quite easy for you having a complete donor car. Basically a case of stripping the van bare, stripping the sri and then transplanting everything into the van. Could potentially be done in a weekend, depending on how mechanically minded you are and how quick you work.
    Cheers Adam. yeah this job is certainly above my comfort zone. I have 2 choices available to me. One is a good mechanic whom I have have loads of faith the job will be done efficiently.. however he hasnt done this one before and Im wondering how much researching time Ill be gettting billed for I guess is fair enough. The other option is a backyard mechanic friend who is very experienced and will be hell cheaper and time wont matter so much. I think I'll wait to see What Chris has to say before I committ to anything. Thanks for your input. Im feeling like Ive made the right choice and its going to pay off.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 21st January 2015 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Any competent mechanic should be able to do it. Literally a case of unbolting things and rebolting them onto the van
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any competent mechanic should be able to do it. Literally a case of unbolting things and rebolting them onto the van
    I presume the loom is going to need some mods in places.... differences in length and position of things. Ideally I would have liked to engage a mechanic thats been there done that... knows what to expect. Beggars cant be chooses Click here to enlarge

I presume the loom is going to need some mods in places.... differences in length and position of things. Ideally I would have liked to engage a mechanic thats been there done that... knows what to expect. that aside Im just grateful for all the input.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 21st January 2015 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The combo and corsa c are identical in terms of chassis amd engine bay

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounding better and better. Are you familiar with the exhaust systems and weather I can use that without modding? the SRI's is quite decent and aftermarket

Thread Information