Thread: Hello!

I'm new here, please be nice cloudy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello!

Hi y'all.

My name's Sunny and I'm based in south western Sydney. While I haven't got myself a car relevant to the forum just yet I thought I'd sign up to do some ample research and learn the ropes first while I await the right car to show up.

I'm a RenaultSport guy, having had five of them in the past few years alone, but now I've moved on to a near-new Peugeot 208 GTi. The last Clio I rocked I spent an incredible amount of time fixing up to make it into a nice car, then I decided I needed to stop tinkering my daily, then I decided I needed something new and competent enough already that I wouldn't want to spanner with it.

To make a long story a bit shorter, took it out to Wakefield Park not too long ago and had a hoot, trounced my old PBs in all my past cars by lunchtime, but it also brought to light the reality of how harsh repeated track days can be on cars, and given I want the car to last me at least 6-7 years (as opposed to 12-18 months as per the last few cars) I began having doubts about throwing the daily around the track. To make matters worse the itch for upgrades and mods came back... then came the inevitable online window shopping when a huge reality check struck at just how expensive this hobby really is.

Past cars I haven't really cared about as I knew I'd be moving them on in about a year's time, plus they were all like 12 years old, bought for pennies and well worn already so I wouldn't be too cut up if I broke it.

So the idea of building a track hack once again resurfaced. The default answer to this was to get myself another Clio 172, being very familiar with the chassis, however there are two issues - they're cheap, but not cheap enough, and parts cost a ton and take forever to ship and land. Given my current circumstances spending so much on a track hack is not an option. So I started looking at cheaper cars instead, the list including a K11 Micra, EP91 Starlet, Excel and what brings me here - the SB Barina / Corsa B.

The Starlet was quickly ruled out as people want crazy money for what these cars are. I thought about the Excel long and hard as it would enable entry in the Excel Cup down the line, but ruled it out as it didn't quite have as much of a following as the Corsa and Micra have overseas as track hacks. The ultimate goal would be to hit up the next ARDC Eastern Creek private practice day having spent less than a grand prior to modifications.

Which led me here. I'm still not a hundred percent certain I am after a Corsa B but at the moment it seems like the most realistic option and a quick flick through Carsales and Gumtree yielded some pretty positive results for the idea, and horrible news for the department of finances. This SB GSi in particular has caught my interest, being $500, in the right spec already, and I can still get it registered as it hasn't been 3 months since expiry. However it's up in QLD and without adequate pictures I can only trust the seller's honesty should I take the plunge with this one, and I have my reservations about flying up to the Gold Coast for such an exercise; would much rather one locally and still having rego on it but beggars cannot be choosers.

The short-term idea would be to strip it out and beef up the suspension and brakes, fab up some seat brackets and fit my bucket seats in, longer term a 1.8 swap perhaps or some engine mods? My head is buzzing with ideas. I've been distracted for the past two days about this.

I'll probably sleep on it for a few days - looks like it has been listed for quite a while now - before thinking about giving the seller a bell and having a chat. Do also have to run it past the missus... but the argument that it'll keep the spanners and mods away from the Peugeot which I bought intending to be a well-sorted package for a long term car, I think that might help me win my case, don't you think? I do think I should leave the Pug alone.

I've spent most of my day flicking through this forum now and it seems like a pretty friendly place. Hoping to be of more use soon enough.

Thanks for reading!
    Sunny
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Sunny. Love the 208 :-D wife had a 207 before mini-me came along and turned that into a 4008 and turned my beloved astra sri-t into a family Astra Click here to enlarge have a look at @chris_r s built of his corsa.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Corsa B's not a bad choice for a cheapish track car. My Corsa B wasn't really built with track work in mind, but there's probably a bit I can help you with in regards to the 1.8 swap. My Corsa C SRi on the other hand, is fast finding itself closer to a track spec build.

With regards to the donor car, you don't necessarily need a GSi. I mean, you're pretty much stripping out the interior and changing the engine anyway, so even a base model Corsa B will do the job. The things you need from the GSi are the engine wiring harness, sensors, ECU, timing cover, balancer pulley and exhaust cam sprocket.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome along mate! Sounds like quite a few ideas going on, never easy to choose.
    As Pete said, have a look at Chris's builds, any one of his 3 conversions lol

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should add, the the 1.8 swap is without a doubt, the best value mod you can do on a Corsa B. Especially when you can pick up an engine for as little $250 (well, there's a wrecker in SA that was selling them for that price) and it bolts to whatever gearbox you have in the Corsa.

Also, there's a guy here in Adelaide who has a white Corsa B that was originally a C12NZ powered 3 door "City" model. It's now a 1.8 powered track car. If only he'd get on the forum and upload some pics (well, he's registered on here, he just doesn't post too often).
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome along! +1 on the 1.8 corsa. I have a maxi kit car in the build for gravel rally with the 1.8. Used to be my daily, lots of fun and decent handling.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cheap
    fun
    easy to source parts
    easy to work on
    quick...

Gotta be a z18 corsa b mate.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice cloudy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes, this place seems like a pretty good place to hang out. I have continued to flick through oodles and oodles of information and hopefully I have much more to contribute than a hello and a follow-up hello post.

Predictably the astonishingly low asking prices for engines and parts plays a major part in my attraction to the Corsa as the track hack. I love my Clios, but they're too damn expensive to modify and maintain, and keeping costs low whilst still being able to have a registered fun car is pivotal in making this not-entirely-sensible exercise work.

Will be sure to consult above mentioned build threads for advice in my own ventures.

Looks like I may have a lead on a SB much sooner than I thought but the asking price is impossible to resist so my day today will probably be spent trying to pull strings to make it happen. I do need to move a car off my yard however, now with much greater urgency than before. Anyone after a Megane 225 I've been putting back together that just needs a left side headlight to pass rego? :P
    Sunny
    Peugeot 208 GTi (daily chariot) / Barina SB GSi (track monster) / RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup (fixed and selling) / Morris Mini (restoring slowly...)
    Ex: RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 172 ph2, 172 ph2, 197 (RIP) / Peugeot 405 Mi16 / MB W201 190E 2.6, W123 300D / BMW E39 528i

Thread Information