I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble with stalling car

Hi all my 2002 TI 1.8 litre will stall without any notice. We had problem with it with loss of power whilst driving or just wouldn't start.
    The emission light would come on then run rough.

In the past 3 months its had a new air flow meter put in. A new coil pack, a fuel pressure regulator fitted, Fuel filters changed, fuel pump, Checked for DTC's none in engine. new spark plugs. Fuel tank cleaned out and a good quality fuel used.

Every three weeks or so it will just stop without notice. After 1/2 hr. or so it will start again as if nothing is wrong. This time the vehicle wont start at all. It will wind over every now and then feels like it got fuel to start but no actual kick to start.

Could the problem be a Timing sensor?

hoping you all could help me out
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AndrewT Click here to enlarge
    Hi all my 2002 TI 1.8 litre will stall without any notice. We had problem with it with loss of power whilst driving or just wouldn't start.
    The emission light would come on then run rough.

In the past 3 months its had a new air flow meter put in. A new coil pack, a fuel pressure regulator fitted, Fuel filters changed, fuel pump, Checked for DTC's none in engine. new spark plugs. Fuel tank cleaned out and a good quality fuel used.

Every three weeks or so it will just stop without notice. After 1/2 hr. or so it will start again as if nothing is wrong. This time the vehicle wont start at all. It will wind over every now and then feels like it got fuel to start but no actual kick to start.

Could the problem be a Timing sensor?

hoping you all could help me out

G'day there AndrewT,

The problem you seem to be observing seems to be spark related. But you never know really. The fuel system performance never really chucks codes - there's no sensor to tell the car if the fuel pressure is low, or the flow rate isn't correct.

I'd be putting a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line, I'd be T-pinning the crank-angle sensor(s) and checking their waveform, and I'd be looking to check the fuel flow rate.

A crank-angle sensor SHOULD throw a P0340 code, or somewhere in the 3-range, and the car should just turn-over without hope of recovery.

So - in the end. Do not discount anything. Don't focus on anything. Eliminate by evidence you collect.

Diagnosing something that is totally borked is better than hunting it down as intermittent....

Thread Information