Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

*Breaking News* Insignia to be badged as Commodore in 2018

So, let's be honest, everyone saw it coming.

But it's pretty well official now. The Opel CEO has let it out at the Geneva Motors how that the 2018 Commodore with be a rebadged Insignia.

Thoughts?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...f690bfdc90c7e8

Sent from my Nintendo 64
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge who would have thought Click here to enlarge
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think they'll import a V8 something to compete a bit more with Ford?

M

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have read a few things from GM and they have expressed quite clearly that the Camaro won't be coming here.

But surely they have to do something

Sent from my Nintendo 64
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently the Corvette is meant to be coming at some point.

As @poita said, Camaro won't be coming in this generation, but it hasn't been ruled out with regards to when a replacement model lands. I think the Mustang's sales could possibly change that if there's enough demand.

But what will be interesting though, 2018 V8 Supercars and what Holden will be putting out on the grid. Now that I want to see.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well rules are changing to turbo 6. So I reckon it's pretty clear cut that it'll be Insignia

Sent from my Nintendo 64
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the "new' Commodore will be a rebadged Opel ?

So will people be replacing the Holden badge with the Opel badge as they do now with the Chev badge ? Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd probably prefer they retire the Commodore badge in recognition that Australian manufacturing has ended. Not sure the Commodore brand has had much exposure for years anyway as AFAIK they've been prioritizing everything but the best car ever made in Australia.

On an indirect topic, anyone else feel like the Cruze was the car the Camira always should have been in terms of quality and popularity, but never was, and yet Camira lasted for ages where Cruze was barely manufactured here for a couple of years - even with government subsidies!?

Not sure what the general impression of Holden is in this forum but I personally haven't really felt the need to go rebadge my car with Opel (or Chev) badges. I think it's a huge shame that Holden is shutting down local manufacturing. Holden always seemed to have had, at the very least, engineers with a great understanding of how to produce good handling cars. My experience is very limited but the very few times I rode in a local Falcon, they felt more like a lounge room couch with front ends that rose and fell when accelerating and braking. Not my cup of tea! Did Toyota ever produce a local car with handling that made their externally boring cars drive well?
    Last edited by pd-xc-72464118; 24th June 2016 at 01:13 AM. Reason: more corrections

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it's great they are bringing the Insignia as the replacement. They should not call it a Commodore. The badge should be retired as pd-xc stated above.

Hopefully they bring a lot of variants over so we have a wide choice. Insignia wagon (or sports tourer as Vauxhall call it) with the biturbo 2.0 CDTi for me thanks.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they have come full circle. The original Commodore the VB of 1978. Was a modified Opel loosely based on the 1977 Opel Rekord E bodyshell but with the front grafted on from the Opel Senator.
    Hopefully Holden engineers will be allowed to set up a the suspension settings to suit Australian conditions. I hope it's not just a change of badge only.
    As with using the Insignia with a turbo 6 in V8 Supercars??? I don't think many of Holden supporters would go for that. Holden for a long time (40 years) have had a V8 for racing.

Thread Information