Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @DJC317 I would say the fact you're on an Opel forum asking about this topic, that your mind is leaning more towards the VXR.

But as has been said and if I were spending the money, I'd be buying a Focus RS over the current VXR, as much as I hate to say it. Extra coin required yes, but I'd say it's the car that's set the bang for buck bar very high at the moment.

All I can say is, it's gonna come down to your own preference and what you want/need in a car. But whichever way you go, I think you'll enjoy it.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it's pretty telling that a lot of people on here are starting to have blue ovals in there sigs... Click here to enlarge

Ford is definitely doing it right when it comes to developing new exciting hot hatches.
    Don't get me wrong, the new vxr is stunning, but it's also a 7 year old design! How long will it be before Holden brings out the astra K?
    I think that what the general did with opel in Australia is pretty shameful and does not give much confidence in their strategy.

The new wrx just looks dull. Everything behind the bonnnet scoop could be a prius and you wouldn't second guess it - and those side mirrors?!
    My 2c Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DJC317 Click here to enlarge
    Hi Guys,
    Interesting conundrum.

Oddly enough a friend of mine just went through the same exact decision. And he went with the STi. Which I was surprised about because he works at Holden and could pick up the VXR at an OBSCENE price lol

For me, I value the style, presence, performance and comfort of my OPC over any of the competition, which is why 3 years ago I bought it. But I'll give you the same advice I gave my mate, which may have ended up swaying him.

I've done nearly 60,000kms - in that time I've had no mechanical faults that weren't caused by myself (will explain). I say that because:
    My car is probably one of the most modified in Aus.

- Decat downpipe & custom mid section
    - CAI w/ turbo inlet pipe
    - Forge Intercooler
    - Forge coolant hoses
    - Short shifter
    - Turbosmart recirc vale
    - RSS Springs
    - Ferodo DS2500 pads
    - Lightened Flywheel
    - Sachs St2 Clutch
    - RSS IPF 340hp tune

+ a bunch of meaningless cosmetic bits like sunroof, head unit etc

What I love most about the car:
    The looks, the 'what is it?' reactions, the performance, handling & brakes and the interior comfort (though sometimes harsh ride).
    The economy isn't too bad for how I drive and the conditions I get stuck in (peak hour commutes) plus everything I've done in modifying it has made it that much better. But it comes at a cost $$$

So, what has gone 'wrong' - nothing really - other than what I may have otherwise already caused.
    I had to do brake discs and pads at only 40,000kms - which to me is too soon for discs, but the evidence was clear and I did them.
    At about 30,000kms I started getting issues putting power down, clutch felt like it was slipping. Turns out it was the flywheel which had warped and had some serious heat spots on it. How this happened I don't know, If for a second I thought it wasn't the clutch I would have worked it out under warranty but I'd already had it inspected and Holden had said that to confirm anything I'd be looking at a hefty bill especially if it turns out to be 'wear and tear' from having modified the car. So I ordered the clutch and flywheel to be safe and it's made a world of difference.
    I also had a crack in my washer fluid tank which stopped holding water to wash the windows, was a strange one and not something that I've heard anyone else have but it was covered under warranty so wasn't concerned.

If you're chasing power, I'd go the STi.

As where I'm sitting now is bout the limit of the turbo and engine.
    If I wanted to go further, I'd have to do turbo, and if I did turbo I'd have to build and forge the engine to make it worthwhile, at which point ~500hp at engine is achievable. The gearbox has always been a slight weakness with these cars so I wouldn't be surprised if you got issues after chasing more than 350hp. These build parts are readily available as kits from the UK - but we're talking big money. And I'm not convinced it would improve the cars dynamics or driveabililty.

But, if you want a car that's unique. Is better value for money (than an STi - even before you include the free servicing and 5 year warranty on these cars now) and still performs like the clappers and you can still make your own with straightforward enough modifications, the Astra is still a worthy choice.
    Last edited by eddysdaman; 6th March 2016 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. I've had the pleasure of driving a VXR around for the weekend and I'm sold. So next week if all goes according to plan, deposit will be paid and i will be choo-chooing! Click here to enlarge. The other thing that some of the other guys had already mentioned on here and you had too is that the car is different. You don't see many of them on the road so its kind of unique.

Thanks for the information and heads up though. I'll definitely need to speak to you more about the mods you have done when i get to the stage of modifying the car. Cant wait though. Have you looked in to E85/FlexFuel? This is something I will be chasing and looking into.

Apart from the modifications causing issues, seems like a lot of people are saying that the reliability of this car is very good. So thats good news for me and I'm happy to hear it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eddysdaman Click here to enlarge
    Interesting conundrum.

Oddly enough a friend of mine just went through the same exact decision. And he went with the STi. Which I was surprised about because he works at Holden and could pick up the VXR at an OBSCENE price lol

For me, I value the style, presence, performance and comfort of my OPC over any of the competition, which is why 3 years ago I bought it. But I'll give you the same advice I gave my mate, which may have ended up swaying him.

I've done nearly 60,000kms - in that time I've had no mechanical faults that weren't caused by myself (will explain). I say that because:
    My car is probably one of the most modified in Aus.

- Decat downpipe & custom mid section
    - CAI w/ turbo inlet pipe
    - Forge Intercooler
    - Forge coolant hoses
    - Short shifter
    - RSS Springs
    - Lightened Flywheel
    - Sachs St2 Clutch
    - RSS IPF 340hp tune

+ a bunch of meaningless cosmetic bits like sunroof, head unit etc

What I love most about the car:
    The looks, the 'what is it?' reactions, the performance, handling & brakes and the interior comfort (though sometimes harsh ride).
    The economy isn't too bad for how I drive and the conditions I get stuck in (peak hour commutes) plus everything I've done in modifying it has made it that much better. But it comes at a cost $$$

So, what has gone 'wrong' - nothing really - other than what I may have otherwise already caused.
    I had to do brake discs and pads at only 40,000kms - which to me is too soon for discs, but the evidence was clear and I did them.
    At about 30,000kms I started getting issues putting power down, clutch felt like it was slipping. Turns out it was the flywheel which had warped and had some serious heat spots on it. How this happened I don't know, If for a second I thought it wasn't the clutch I would have worked it out under warranty but I'd already had it inspected and Holden had said that to confirm anything I'd be looking at a hefty bill especially if it turns out to be 'wear and tear' from having modified the car. So I ordered the clutch and flywheel to be safe and it's made a world of difference.
    I also had a crack in my washer fluid tank which stopped holding water to wash the windows, was a strange one and not something that I've heard anyone else have but it was covered under warranty so wasn't concerned.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DJC317 Click here to enlarge
    So next week if all goes according to plan, deposit will be paid and i will be choo-chooing! Click here to enlarge .... Have you looked in to E85/FlexFuel?
    Well, welcome to the club haha
    And for me, I was going to look into it after my 60k service. I'll be out of warranty by then anyway as it's something I've loosely thought about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, thanks man!
    Ah yeah, sounds good. The ECU this car has is shared with the SIDI - FlexFuel commodores, so the tuners should be able to activate the FlexFuel function on the ECU. Would just need to wire up the sensor and install it in the fuel system. Looking at some parts diagrams for this engine online shows where the sensor is installed normally (23 - Diagram Below). Would need to look and find out weather or not the In-Tank lift pump is up to the task though.

c25291864f3dfcc4d163f580896783b9.jpg

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eddysdaman Click here to enlarge
    Well, welcome to the club haha
    And for me, I was going to look into it after my 60k service. I'll be out of warranty by then anyway as it's something I've loosely thought about.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    260+ lph pump and 1000 cc injectors will give you the head room you're after. Can safely tune on the stock gear, but you'll run out of head room, don't want to have the injectors at 100% duty cycle.
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Astra J is direct injected. Can supply fuel up to 550hp on standard injectors and HPFP.
    2016 Holden Astra J VXR - Arden Blue

'If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling.' - Paul Walker

Thread Information