I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astra ts Engine Remove and Replace Cost

Does anyone out there know out there how much it costs to have an engine removed and replaced, i have just bought a low k's engine as the existing one has bad knock in bottom end.
    I found that replacing whole engine is much cheaper the getting old one repaired
    Complete motor i bought has done 75,000 k not bad for $650
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Between $500 and $1000 to get a mechanic to do it, depending on their knowledge of astras. If they have done it before it'll possibly be cheaper as it should be quicker than the first time.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Doing it yourself can be done in a day

OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps for the info on a approx cost, and doing it myself is out of the question, i am an old retired petrol head and lying under cars is back in the past for yours truly now
    Cheers thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a astra thats done a timing belt, i believe every valve will be bent, mechanics are quoting me between $2200 and $2500 to repair, however i have been quoted $ 1200 for a changeover motor fully installed with 6months warranty and thats with a timing belt kit being installed before it goes in, the motor alone is $500 and low km, i strongly suggest you do the timing belt before it goes in and change it every 60,000 km, as ive found out this rubber belt can cost you a engine, hope this helps.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew210561 Click here to enlarge
    I have a astra thats done a timing belt, i believe every valve will be bent, mechanics are quoting me between $2200 and $2500 to repair, however i have been quoted $ 1200 for a changeover motor fully installed with 6months warranty and thats with a timing belt kit being installed before it goes in, the motor alone is $500 and low km, i strongly suggest you do the timing belt before it goes in and change it every 60,000 km, as ive found out this rubber belt can cost you a engine, hope this helps.
    is your astra a 1.8L if it is your valves should be ok as I believe they run a non-interference valve train so they will have no chance of hitting any of the pistons,

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew Click here to enlarge
    is your astra a 1.8L if it is your valves should be ok as I believe they run a non-interference valve train so they will have no chance of hitting any of the pistons,
    They do run an interference-style valve train. You're also talking about an engine with approximately a 10.5:1 CR, which generally means there's a high chance piston and valve will meet if the belt breaks. The Z18 my SRi originally came with a busted timing belt and a pile of bent and busted valves.

But when the engine costs less than $500 to buy second hand, it's not really worth rebuilding one, unless of course you are in pursuit of more power.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my astra is a 2001 1.8 lt z18 ts model and ive gotten different opinions on whether its a interference or non interference engine, most say interference, also i believe you can have a non interference engine ( piston wont hit valves ) but you can have interference valves ( intake valves hit exhaust valves ) damaging valves, holden cust service are useless about finding this out so i looked into cost of getting fixed myself and my sister and brother inlaw are good friends with a mechanic and as im on a pension he said he would install the timing belt kit for $ 200 if i supplied the kit which i thought was great, and he said then he would start the car to see if there was valve damage, I suggested taking the head off first to inspect and replacing any bent valves first but he said they send the heads out to have them done they dont do them. he then said there would be a lot of labour to take the head off so i thought i might take the head off myself to save cost but it looked to complicated so i shelved that idea, i then contacted a couple of head reconditioners who said 99.9% chance there all bent and they charge around $ 750 to do. so heres the breakdown of the price, the mechanic quoted $2200- 2500 for complete job. the kit would be 270 thats me buying it and supplying it, 200 to put kit on and IF the valves were bent , he new damm well they would be, to remove the head send it out for repair and installing head with new gaskets again 2200-2500, i bet it would be 2500, so that means 270 for the kit, 200 labour to install=470 so he wants to charge me $ 2030 for the gasket , the labour to remove the head and replace and have the head done $750 so basically he is charging me $1280 to remove and replace head plus gasket, say $120 for gasket thats $1160 to remove and replace head labour only, wow lucky he:s a friend. So a couple of hours on the internet and i find a place with 4 1.8s in stock 135km on one of them mine has 202,000km 6months warranty, motor and labour and a new timing belt kit (full) installed all for $1200 so it is easier and half the price to get a changeover, god only knows what a holden dealer would charge

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The z18xe is 100% interference engine. I picked up a z18 with siezed waterpump which snapped the belt just to pull it apart and learn more about the engines. The intake valves had kissed the pistons and bent them.

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information