I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TS Astra missing first gear sometimes

Hi all,
    My families 2003 auto TS 1.8l Astra Hatch has a problem with taking off sometimes.
    I'll try and explain the problem. Occasionally when you start the car it feels like it has no first gear and is trying to take off in 2nd. Only does it when started freshly, in other words you can drive it all day and stop and start but every now and then after it has been started it will not want to take off properly. The engine is running great through all of this. If you pull over, and dont turn the motor off, if you put it manually into 1st it will drive fine in first gear, pull over and put it back into drive and it will take off sluggish feeling like it is trying to take off in 2nd. While this is happening I noticed that if you push the "S" button on the shifter, no "S" light will come up. Pull over, turn off the car, wait a short time and turn it on again and all working fine and the "S" button works too, ( normally it is driven with "S" button off but wanted to check out all possibilities)? Once it is in restarted you can drive all day without it doing it again and it never does it while driving, only when starting and it can do it first thing in the morning after sitting all night or do it after having been driven.
    We just got this car a month ago and all is great except for that problem. Dont have heaps of money to try fault finding so any ideas before we go to the mechanics?
    Thanks in Advance.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,
    Been a while now and no responses so must be something no-one has had happen before. I much prefer to have no replies than people just guessing. No worries, thanks anyway.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of automatics roaming around amoungst the active members on this forum. I definitely haven't ever heard of that problem myself before so I can't offer any advice.

Thread Information