Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corsa B read disc conversion legalities

Simple question, how likely am I to be picked up for a Rear disc brake conversion? if it'll get noticed at all and it will just be hiding in plain sight.

Thanks in advance.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2000 Corsa B 1.4i
    GSi Body Kit | GSi Throttle body | GSi Sway bar | ProSport Coilovers | Morette Headlights | 2" Cannon exhaust w/ burn tip | Genuine OMP strut brace | Sports spoiler | Calibra calipers and Machined/Slotted RDA discs | 15" 'Cav Slab' Alloys
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the corsa i doubt anyone would know any differnt ricky. I changed my old astra from 4 stud to 5 stud, and put on bigger brakes and wasnt noticed

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt that any of the constabulary would know whether a SB Barina was fitted with rear disc brakes or potatoes.

As far as passing a rear disc conversion through Regency, it shouldn't be too hard. It's a bolt on upgrade with no structural modifications needed. I remember reading in somewhere in the rules for modifications, where brake upgrades are required/carried out, it is encouraged that factory brake upgrades are used where possible. It also makes it easier to pass an engineer's inspection report.

The thing you have to be careful of is the front/rear bias, but with the way facelift Corsa Bs and GSi's are, that's usually dealt with by the rear axle bias valve.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    I doubt that any of the constabulary would know whether a SB Barina was fitted with rear disc brakes or potatoes.

As far as passing a rear disc conversion through Regency, it shouldn't be too hard. It's a bolt on upgrade with no structural modifications needed. I remember reading in somewhere in the rules for modifications, where brake upgrades are required/carried out, it is encouraged that factory brake upgrades are used where possible. It also makes it easier to pass an engineer's inspection report.

The thing you have to be careful of is the front/rear bias, but with the way facelift Corsa Bs and GSi's are, that's usually dealt with by the rear axle bias valve.
    Hahaha, I doubt so too!

Is the valve manually adjustable or is it a factory set thing in the valve itself?
    This upgrade has also been put off slightly by the fact that I've just installed coilovers, and considering I'd need to buy a set just for the rears after a conversion is just money I don't need to spend when it's ok for now. However I'm not happy with how high the rear end sits, even when the rear height adjusters are at minimum height.
    2000 Corsa B 1.4i
    GSi Body Kit | GSi Throttle body | GSi Sway bar | ProSport Coilovers | Morette Headlights | 2" Cannon exhaust w/ burn tip | Genuine OMP strut brace | Sports spoiler | Calibra calipers and Machined/Slotted RDA discs | 15" 'Cav Slab' Alloys
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NoX-Troniq Click here to enlarge
    Hahaha, I doubt so too!

Is the valve manually adjustable or is it a factory set thing in the valve itself?
    This upgrade has also been put off slightly by the fact that I've just installed coilovers, and considering I'd need to buy a set just for the rears after a conversion is just money I don't need to spend when it's ok for now. However I'm not happy with how high the rear end sits, even when the rear height adjusters are at minimum height.
    The rear load brake bias valve is located near the rear axle, with a spring that connects to the rear axle, so when the axle moves up and down, the spring opens and closes the valve to automatically adjust bias according to load conditions.

Also, you shouldn't need to be changing rear shocks and springs for a disc swap, unless you are swapping the whole Corsa C axle in. You can swap the Corsa C hubs directly on to the B's axle, but you need to fit (ie cut and weld) the handbrake cable brackets from the Corsa C axle to your axle. Also, as you use the rear cable from the Corsa C, you may need to have an inline adjuster fitted to the rear section of the cable. Adelaide Cable Co at unit 9, 21-23 Naweena Road in Regency Park can do this part for around $55-60 from memory.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Thread Information