Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's not to your satisfaction then tell them your gonna tear them a new arsehole!

But before it gets to that point you should consult your insurance company

Thats ONLY IF it's not right

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's not to your satisfaction then tell them your gonna tear them a new **moderated**!

Ar*ehole!

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roof was up at the time of the collission but no damage.
    The reason the engine had to come out was to enable the repairer to stretch out one of the energy absorbing crumple zones in the the right hand chassis rail.

When I saw the car after the accident I didn't think it would take too much to fix.
    Bonnet, right hand guard, grille, bumper, right hand light, that was about it. I don't even think the radiator was leaking, so I was really suprised when the bill came to $21,000
    I think the airbags, steering wheel, seatbelts, dashboard, windscreen (damaged by air bag deploying)came to about $7000.

As far as the car not being the same after the repair as before, I think this is pretty true, no matter how good the repairer is. The differences may be only small but they are there.
    This is probably even more so with a convertable, which is not as rigid as a car with a solid roof, so that why you get a few creaks etc. But I don't have any more after the accident than I had before.
    The windows don't have any frames. This doesn't help.

Every chance I get I tell my other half about these things and that basically convertables are "chicks cars"and what a fantastic, caring, sensative, bloke I am for buying one and driving it. :roll: Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but i doubt it will drive the same, not 100%, it can't...... Mine doesn't..... Complaining about the paint finish (the "peel" not matching the rest of the car) when nrma inspected my car they said yadda, yadda, it's within standards, so that's ok, etc.... Nothing (lineup, etc) is 100%...I mean, i'm being picky, but it's not...
    Mine was only 9.5k damage, and after i got it back, numerous times i've considered selling it and buying one that hasn't been crashed, because the niggling things get to me... But the likely hood is some other wanker will run into the car eventually, so it doesn't matter much...I think the problem is they go "you have this small tin of paint, make it fill this whole area"... and they do, it looks average compared to the original (the original paintwork is better than any of the other work i've had done).. Then they go "here's this bucket of nuts, bolts, attachments, make it all fit, you have 2 hours"...... seriously, they must, because half the bolts in mine were in the wrong spots, etc.......
    The radiator panel (the bit which the bonnet clips into) is out by about 3mm, but it's enough so the left hand headlight doesn't fit 100%, they tried to fix it, but the front end of the car is still slightly out of alignment, the bumper edge that's close to the bonnet is about 4mm-5mm lower than it should be, so there's a gap there..... like i said, small things, but they all add up, 4mm isn't much, but it's still not right Click here to enlarge Again, i'm definately not happy, but nrma has pretty much just said that it's within standards so that's the way it will stay..... I give up, just happy to have the car back............
    Aaron
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear bout that mate....it's hard though, cause u think about the billion-dollar high tech machines they use to put together and paint etc the car when it's first produced and here they are askin a few blokes to do it by hand or off the shelf tools.....not fair really :?
    17x7in Shadow Black Advanti Stalkers
    DBA Slotted Rotors
    Lucas pads
    Customised King Springs
    KYB Shocks
    Sound
    Tint
    Opelised
    Viper Custom Alarm

Crossfire

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say that i am very happy with the exterior job they did, except a couple of a small things which will be repaired again. but mechanically the car is very dodgy,
    it was sent to Holden Motorama in Brisbane where they never got the engine running because the guys in the panel shop didnt give them some parts. so what holden guys did eventhough they had my car for a few days was just taking out the engine and trasnmission and put them back after panel beating was finished.

I went to see the bloke in charge of my car and speak to him in person at Holden Motorama and went through about 20 problems i have found since last Friday.
    they will all be fixed, but you never know what condition the car is going to be in until really drive prorperly again. Hopefully i will be able to get my car back soon enought and in a good condition.

Engine cuts out, steering seems dodgy vibrative, tripcomputer display broken,
    traction sing is on, etc etc....
    i still dirives without any big trouble, but i know it is still damaged and not fixed properly and thats what is annoying most of the time.
    I would rather spend my time cleaing my car than cleaning my room.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, i guess it's just the way it is, bottom dollar is how it goes....
    They can build the buggers right (as said above) but no one know's how to fix them or has the tools to do so.... My engine didn't end up getting pulled as they could keep the engine in with a hoist while they changed the subframe........

Moral of the story, never buy an astra that's been crash damaged!

Click here to enlarge
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll be selling it straight away, and will never be the same no matter who fix it.
    If I wanted Rice i'll order Chinese.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah ditto mate sorry :cry: :cry:
    17x7in Shadow Black Advanti Stalkers
    DBA Slotted Rotors
    Lucas pads
    Customised King Springs
    KYB Shocks
    Sound
    Tint
    Opelised
    Viper Custom Alarm

Crossfire

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hrmm..

Astra Conv is built in Italy, mostly by hand, separate from the standard line.

hence, expect tolerances and variances.

that said, depending on your repairer, tolerances can be made better. In fact, it boils down to who actually does the job, rather than the company.

I know of a "craftsperson" who each and every time I would employ to do any repairs to my car. Trouble is, it takes time.

All I can say, each and every time, If I had a choice of a new qautre (Cut and weld) or a repair, I'd chose to have it repaired. There's nothing wrong with crashed and repaired cars, not if they're done right. The sad reality is that they are RARELY done right..

Same goes for stretching on jigs.. Nothing wrong, so long as it's done cold, not heated and stretched, so as to weaken that portion.

HAssle with getting it done right, is thgat it usually takes twice as long....
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Thread Information