Hey gang,

I've had an 03 Astra Turbo for around 8 months now and I'm really enjoying it. Bought it stock standard (apart from a catback and a boost tee) and it really needed some TLC. The previous owner was a total knob and completely neglected the vehicle, instead putting in a full sik sub system (which i've ripped out) and horrid super cheap chromies (which i've always replaced). Car needed new rocker cover gaskets, new brakes and rotors, all filters, new spark plugs as it was misfiring, as well as the timing belt NEVER have being changed. Anyhow, it's running great and I've given it the TLC it needed.

So far, I've given it

TXAutosport FMIC
Crossover delete with a K&N pod
Oil Catch can
Turbo Smart plumb back recirc valve
boost gauge
Tinted Angel-eye style headlights
Debadged grill
Lukey catback (came with car)
Turbo Smart manual boost tee (came with car - it's useless as the ECU panics when boosted past stock)

Probably more, but I don't remember.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Just have some questions for you guys and seek your knowledge.

1) There is a strong burning oil smell after around 10mins or so or when the car gets to temperature. I've checked all gaskets and hoses and am at a loss as what it could be. It is so potent that when I park my car in front of the garage, you can smell it from inside the house. I've also checked the turbo as well as the intercooler for excessive oil build-up, and both remained fine. Car isn't blowing any smoke either. I'm at a complete loss.

2) I have crazy amounts of "dose" when I release throttle. The noise was evident from the stock airbox when I bought the car, but the pod only makes it louder. It sounds chavvy and a bit wanky and I don't want to have to buy a BOV, as the general debate with other guys owning Astra's in the UK etc say that the cars run like crap with one attached. The original recirc valve had its diaphragm intact and was not split which I wouldve thought, and it has a new one now so it should be going back through the air intake and not sounding like a rattlesnake? I'm not sure.

Thanks guys.
Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!